home *** CD-ROM | disk | FTP | other *** search
/ Crawly Crypt Collection 1 / crawlyvol1.bin / bbs / chaos151 / read_me.doc < prev    next >
Text File  |  1992-09-30  |  26KB  |  569 lines

2. =========================================================================
  4.                               STellar Chaos
  6.                          Atari ST/STE/TT Version
  8.           Copyright 1990-1992 Roger M. Thomas ~ Redwulf Software
  9.                            All Rights Reserved
  11.                 Concept and Programming by Roger M. Thomas
  13. ==========================================================================
  15.                         I.   Disclaimer
  17.                        II.   Shareware Terms
  19.                       III.   Introduction
  21.                        IV.   Brief History
  23.                         V.   Setup Instructions
  25.                        VI.   General Game Instructions
  27.                       VII.   Error Trapping & Reporting
  29.                      VIII.   Ordering & Registration Info
  32. ==============================================================================
  34.                  Disclaimer, Declaration Of Rights And Warranty
  36. ==============================================================================
  38.                         This Software is provided as-is
  39.                 There are No warranties, Expressed or Implied.
  41.    I, Roger M. Thomas ( Redwulf Software ) DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES RELATING TO
  42.   THIS SOFTWARE, WHETHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY
  43.   IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE,
  44.   AND ALL SUCH WARRANTIES ARE EXPRESSLY AND SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMED.  NEITHER
  45.   Roger M. Thomas ( Redwulf Software ) NOR ANYONE ELSE WHO HAS BEEN INVOLVED IN
  46.   THE CREATION, PRODUCTION, OR DELIVERY OF THIS SOFTWARE SHALL BE LIABLE FOR ANY
  47.   INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES ARISING FROM THE USE OR IN-
  48.   ABILITY TO USE SUCH SOFTWARE EVEN IF Roger M. Thomas ( Redwulf Software ) HAS
  49.   ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES OR CLAIMS.  IN NO EVENT SHALL
  50.   Roger M. Thomas ( Redwulf Software ) 's LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES EVER EXCEED
  51.   THE AMOUNT PAID TO LICENSE THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, REGARDLESS OF THE FORM OF
  52.   CLAIM.  THE PERSON USING THE SOFTWARE BEARS ALL RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND
  53.   PERFORMANCE OF THE SOFTWARE.
  55.      Some states do not allow the exclusion of the limit of liability for
  56.   consequetial or incidental damages, so the above limitation may not apply to
  57.   you.
  59.      This agreement shall be governed by the laws of the State Of Indiana and
  60.   shall inure to the benefit of Roger M. Thomas ( Redwulf Software ), and any
  61.   successors, adminstrators, heirs, and assigns.  Any action or proceeding
  62.   brought by either party against the other arising out of or related to this
  63.   agreement shall be brought only in a STATE or FEDERAL COURT of competant
  64.   jurisdiction located in Vandenburg County, Indiana.  The parties hereby
  65.   consent to in personam jurisdiction of said courts.
  67. ===============================================================================
  69.                      Copyrighted Software & Shareware Terms
  71. ===============================================================================
  73.      STellar Chaos Is a Shareware Product.  The author grants permission for
  74.   this disk/archive to be copied and distributed, if no fee is charged.
  75.   Otherwise, you must get written permission from the author to distribute
  76.   copies of this disk/archive.  If you use this software for a period exceeding
  77.   60 days you are required to make a shareware donation of $20.00 for the
  78.   registered copy.
  80.      Upon Acceptance of Your Registration Fee,  This software and the disks
  81.   or archive on/in which it is contained will be licensed to you, for your own
  82.   use.  This is COPYRIGHTED software.  You are not obtaining the title to the
  83.   software or any copyright rights.  You may not sublicense, rent, lease,
  84.   convey, modify, translate, convert to another programming language or
  85.   computer platform, decompile, or disassemble the software for any purpose.
  87.      You may make as many copies of this software for back-up purposes ONLY.
  88.   You may use this software on more than one computer, provided there is no
  89.   chance that it will be used simultaneously on more than one computer.  If
  90.   you need to use this software on more than one computer, your are required
  91.   to purchase an additional copy for each computer on which you desire to run
  92.   the software.
  95. ==========================================================================
  97.                 This Game is Dedicated to  William Counihan
  98.                  Who Takes Broken Alliances Too Seriously!
  101. ===============================================================================
  103.                                Introduction
  105. ===============================================================================
  108.       STellar Chaos is a multi-player space combat game in which the players
  109.   struggle amongst themselves to gain control of the planets in a galaxy.
  110.   Each player commands an armada of starships, negotiates  alliances with
  111.   other players, spies, constructs planetary defenses and develops powerful
  112.   weapons!  There are other hazards and mysteries lurking in unexplored
  113.   sectors of the galaxy such as Black Holes, Nebulas, Asteroid Fields, Etc.
  114.   A Single player ( or an allied team of Players ) must overcome these
  115.   obstacles to become the absolute ruler(s) of the Galaxy.
  117. ================================================================================
  119.                        Brief History of STellar Chaos
  120. ===============================================================================
  123.        STellar Chaos originally started as a board game I dreamed up way back
  124.   in 1987 when I was but a senior in high school.   My Friends and I enjoyed it
  125.   immensely, so it was no wonder that when I started running STarlink BBS in my
  126.   Freshman year of college that I pondered the thought of a BBS game based on
  127.   it.  At that time ( and it is  still that way ) the Atari ST world had few
  128.   BBS games to choose from.  So I began work on STellar Chaos.  Well, it was a
  129.   shoddy start and it never amounted to more than a lump of source code on a
  130.   stray floppy until I had joined the Air Force.  I resurrected STarlink and to
  131.   my suprise Chaos had found a following ( even in its basic form ) and I
  132.   pursued coding further...  Well, after 2 more years of tinkering, I had
  133.   finally produced a half-decent version ( version 1.20 )...
  136.   [ NOTE: If anyone has ever seen the old version  of SC put up on Genie  way
  137.           back in 1990 they can appreciate the changes that have been made ]
  140.   Now at version 1.50, STellar Chaos is ( If I dare say ) another fine
  141.   addition to a growing library of Atari ST online games.  I cannot take all
  142.   the credit though;  if it were not for my loyal players - many of which
  143.   supported SC long after I had taken STarlink down - the game would have never
  144.   reached version 1.30!  My undying thanks for the support and debugging job
  145.   guys - you know who you are...   Anyways, I proudly present you with Version
  146.   1.50 of STellar Chaos and I hope that you have as much fun playing it as I
  147.   had headaches writing it :)
  148.                                                         Roger M. Thomas
  150.                                                               'Redwulf'
  153.   P.S. Am I the only guy that has written a game only to find out that
  154.   everyone else seems to play it better than I do?  Go Figure...
  157. ============================================================================
  159.                              Setup Instructions
  161. ============================================================================
  164.                          Before You Get Started...
  166.   Periodically, the Name of the Program, STellar Chaos, will be abbreviated
  167.   into SC.  This makes the instructions less redundant and saves space too!
  169.   STellar Chaos was written in GFA Basic 3.5E and has been test ran on
  170.   BB/ST, STar-net, Forem and Express! BBS Software.   I foresee no problems
  171.   with other BBS prgms running SC, But the program MUST be  able to run
  172.   some type of external program ( ie, SC and other online games )..
  174.   Yes, This means SC will not work on Michtron BBS....
  176.   STellar Chaos has  been tested  on versions of TOS ( 1.0 - 2.06 )
  177.   without any problems.  It  also works on both floppy A: and hard disks
  178.   depending on your system...  As for Multi-Tos, well, We'll see...
  180.   STellar Chaos  has its own Modem I/O routines  so I/O  redirection is  not
  181.   necessary.  STellar Chaos also has a Carrier Loss Detection routine and a
  182.   timeout routine to prevent it from hanging up BBS Systems..
  185.                   **** SETTING UP AND RUNNING STELLAR CHAOS ****
  187.                                   Going For it
  188.                                   ------------
  190. *      Step 1: Choose The Drive on Which You Wish to place STellar Chaos.
  191.                The Valid Drive Designators Are:
  193.                Drives A, C - P  ( Ie, A:, C:, D:, ... P: )
  195.                Drive B Has Been Omitted as it tends to bring up an Alert box
  196.                Asking For Disk B ( Can't have That since the Sysop might not
  197.                be around! )
  200. *      Step 2: Create a Folder ( Directory ) on That Drive called CHAOS
  203. *      Step 3: Copy ALL of the files from the CHAOSxxx.LZH  archive into the
  204.                CHAOS Folder ( Directory )..
  206.                You Must Have These Files in the CHAOS Folder to run SC:
  208.                REDTITLE.ANS - ANSI Graphyx Title Screen
  209.                REDTITLE.TXT - ASCII Title Screen
  210.                SCINITxx.TOS - The Initializer Program ( sets up datafiles )
  211.                CHAOSxxx.TOS - The Main Program - note that the Xs' are the
  212.                               version number of the programs.
  213.                CHAOSINS.TXT - The Game Instructions
  214.                READ_ME .DOC - This file, which is for you, the Sysop
  215.                SCUSER  .DAT - The User Info File ( More On This Later )
  216.                WHERE_IS.DEF - Locator Path File For The Forem User File
  217.                               ( See SCUSER.DAT And DORINFO?.DEF )
  220. *      Step 4: Run the Program SCINITxx.TOS - This is the setup program
  223. *      Step 5: Press [I] to Initialize the game files.  You Will Prompted For
  224.                the Number of players and planets.
  226.                My recommendations... Choose 8 players and 60 planets.
  228.                It Will then write a File Named DATASHIT.DAT to your CHAOS
  229.                Folder - this is the main datafile.
  231.     ***************************************************************************
  232.     *                                                                         *
  233.     *       ==== NOTE: For the 'FIXED' Unregistered 4-Player Version ====     *
  234.     *                                                                         *
  235.     *  The Unregistered Version of STellar Chaos V. 1.5x is basically set up  *
  236.     *  the same way as the registered, but you will only have 4 player slots  *
  237.     *  available and you do NOT get to choose the number of players.  I feel  *
  238.     *  that this  leaves  enough  room for your  users to get a feel for the  *
  239.     *  game before they start begging you to register...                      *
  240.     *                                                                         *
  241.     ***************************************************************************
  244. *      Step 6: Choose the way SC will load up.
  246.                SC looks inside the CHAOS folder for a file named SCUSER.DAT.
  247.                This file contains the player's Handle or Name.  Your BBS
  248.                program needs to create this file for STellar Chaos to run.
  249.                This is where it gets the player info.
  251.                If STellar Chaos cannot find SCUSER.DAT it will then look
  252.                for a Forem DORINFO?.DEF File ( This is the Forem mode ).
  253.                SC will look INSIDE the CHAOS folder for the WHERE_IS.DEF file
  254.                and extract a Path Which Points SC To The Location of Your Forem
  255.                Compatable DORINFO?.DEF User File.  It Will Then Look in This
  256.                Path, Load the DORINFO?.DEF File And Extract The necessary info
  257.                from it.  All you need do is Create The WHERE_IS.DEF Pathfile
  258.                and place it in the CHAOS folder.
  260.                SO - here's how it works... If you want to use the Forem
  261.                DORINFO?.DEF file method, make sure that SCUSER.DAT is NOT
  262.                in the CHAOS folder!  Else SC will not attempt to even find
  263.                the DORINFO?.DEF file.  Is that clear?
  265.                NOTE:  Sample Files ( examples ) of Both SCUSER.DAT, WHERE_IS.DEF
  266.                       and the Forem DORINFO?.DEF Files are included with SC for
  267.                       the Sysop's benefit.  These Files Show the Structures
  268.                       Necessary For SC to Process Them.
  270.                For Sysops Wishing to 'Generate' A Forem DORINFO?.DAT File
  271.                I Have included the File Structure.  Is As Follows:
  273.                Line 1:     BBS Name
  274.                Line 2:     Sysop's 1st Name
  275.                Line 3:     Sysop's Last Name
  276.                Line 4:     Com Port ( Always 0 On Atari )
  277.                Line 5:     Baud Rate 8,N,1
  278.                Line 6:     Network?
  279.                Line 7:     User's 1st Name          >-- Used By SC
  280.                Line 8:     User's Last Name         >-- Used By SC
  281.                Line 9:     City/State
  282.                Line 10:    ANSI Graphics ON/OFF
  283.                Line 11:    Access Level Of User
  284.                Line 12:    Time Left In Minutes
  286.                Please Note That SC Only Uses The User's 1st And Last Name
  287.                All Other Information In The File Is Not Needed For SC To
  288.                Execute Properly.
  291. *      Step 7: (Optional) Press [D] to display the galaxy map.  Why?
  292.                Because this shows you the galaxy ( the playing area )...
  293.                It is a good idea to check it out and make sure that the
  294.                'O's ( Planets ) are spaced out pretty good.  This makes
  295.                for a better game.  The Same goes for the '^'s... These
  296.                are where the players start from.  If they are bunched up
  297.                then it will be harder for the players to get a good
  298.                start in the game... So its a good idea to make sure that
  299.                everything is cool.. If its not, then re-init the files
  300.                ( go back to step 5 )....
  302. *      Step 8: Quit The Initializer Program ( SCINITxx.TOS ) - You
  303.                Don't have to save the datafiles as this was done when
  304.                you initialized the game.  It won't hurt anything if
  305.                you do tho.
  308. *      Step 9: Run CHAOSxxx.TOS ( The Main gamefile ) from Your BBS.
  309.                If everything was done correctly, then the game will
  310.                log you on as a new player... You can take it from there.
  312.                NOTE: SC can be ran locally from the desktop as well.
  313.                      However, you must have your name in either SCUSER.DAT
  314.                      or DORINFO?.DEF.  I just keep a file named SCUSER.DAX
  315.                      with my name in it that I rename to SCUSER.DAT before
  316.                      running SC.  Just rename it back to .DAX when you are
  317.                      finished playing.
  320. ===============================================================================
  322.                        General Instructions and Misc Info
  324. ===============================================================================
  327.   Apart from the general game instructions included in CHAOSINS.TXT, there
  328.   are a handful of other instructions and info for the sysop..
  331.   Player Maintenance
  332.   ------------------
  335.   Editing of the Users' Name/Handle and last call date are accomplished from
  336.   the SCTINIT.TOSs'  [E]dit Selection...  This is useful if a stupid user
  337.   changed his handle during the game, his handle/name in the game is now
  338.   different from the BBS and now SC can't find the 'old' him and tries to
  339.   log him in as a new player.
  341.   Edit lastcall is useful in case you accidentally set your clock wrong -
  342.   ( which can delete everyone since SC kills all users who haven't played a
  343.   turn in 5 or more days! )
  345.   Yes, Once again, If a player does not play the game in a period of 5 days,
  346.   he or she will be auto-deleted from game play..  All Alliances the player
  347.   might have had are nullified and All planets are returned to 'neutral'
  348.   status.  ( The Unregistered Version only allows three days of user
  349.   inactivity because of only having 4 player slots - makes for a faster
  350.   turnaround.. )
  352.   ANSI graphix is supported for online only, meaning that local BBS modes
  353.   have the ANSI stripped from the output..
  356.   Files that STellar Chaos Creates in the CHAOS directory:
  357.   --------------------------------------------------------
  359.   SCSCORE.DAT, as you probably guessed, is the scoretable.  You can easily
  360.   use it as a bulletin so that your users can check the scores without having
  361.   to play the game.
  363.   SCCHAMP.DAT contains the name(s) and score(s) of the previous winner(s).
  364.   Yet another useful bulletin file.
  366.   Also, more files only with numbers as names.  ( ie;  7.7  or 1.5 or 4.5
  367.   etc... )  These are the mail files.  The numbers stand for:
  369.                       7 . 5
  370.                       ^ ^ ^
  371.      Mail sender______: : :______Mail Recipient
  372.                         :
  373.                         :________Good ole dot found in all filenames
  375.      Now you aren't so confused, eh?
  378.   DD/MM/YY.LOG and NEWS.BAK are the daily news files.  Useful as bulletins,
  379.   they record all important events in the game.  These files are automatically
  380.   deleted by the STINIT.TOS when you intialize the SC datafiles or when the end
  381.   of the game occurs.  This just makes less work for you to do ( Geez, Am I a
  382.   thoughtful Programmer or what? )  You can delete them whenever you like,
  383.   as the game will still work without them.
  385.   GAMEOVER is a file created when the game is over ( what a coincidence, eh? )
  386.   It is automatically erased when you initialize the game. Basically, when SC
  387.   sees it in the CHAOS folder, it knows not to log the player into the game and
  388.   to inform the sysop that the game needs resetting.
  390.   SCUSER.DAT and DORINFO?.DEF ( The question mark can be any character ) as you
  391.   probably ( hopefully ) know, were created by your BBS program so that STellar
  392.   Chaos can fetch the Players' Handle or Name from it.  I just thought I'd
  393.   throw them in here for the hell of it...
  395.   The MISC Folder ( on Registered Versions ):  This is a Directory containing
  396.   various items that SC Sysops have found useful in running/maintaining SC.
  397.   These are primarily script files for running SC from BBSs.  Just something
  398.   else for the Sysops' benefit...
  400. ===============================================================================
  402.                         Error Control & Reporting Bugs
  404. ===============================================================================
  406.   I have included an error trapping routine in STellar Chaos which should make
  407.   the game bullet-proof for your BBS.  If STellar Chaos Should crash, it will
  408.   leave a short note to the user as to which routine generated the error.  I
  409.   feel that this should usually point out any obvious problems to the Sysop as
  410.   well as giving me a quick pointer to the cause of the problem..  If You think
  411.   you have discovered a bug, please write to me at the address listed on the
  412.   order form or call Solano STation BBS (707)446-4158 and leave Email to REDWULF
  413.   ( Not the Sysop ) and I will do my best to tell you how to fix the problem
  414.   or make the appropriate changes to the code ( lets hope not! ).  Here is a
  415.   short list of the more common problems reported with SC:
  417.   1] SC Says It Cannot Find the CHAOS Folder.
  419.      ANSWER:  Did You Create One?  SC Does Not Make Its Own...
  421.   2] I run SC and it Generates an error in the load user name file procedure.
  423.      ANSWER:  Have You set up your BBS to generate the SCUSER.DAT or
  424.      DORINFO?.DEF file?  This is where SC finds the user name/handle and
  425.      the program will not run without it.  Remember - You MUST create a 
  426.      WHERE_IS.DEF file in the CHAOS folder to point to your DORINFO?.DEF
  427.      file if you plan on using the Forem Mode.
  429.   3] I have created a CHAOS folder on Drive B but SC says it cant find the
  430.      CHAOS Directory...
  432.      ANSWER:  SC does not use Drive B.  If I had used it you would be prompted
  433.      for Disk B all the time when is scans for te CHAOS folder.  I felt it
  434.      best to leave it out.  Besides, most Sysops run BBSs off of Hard Disks.
  436.   4] I have created a CHAOS folder on Drive C and SC Says it Cannot find the
  437.      Directory.
  439.      ANSWER:  SC starts at drive P: and works its way down to A:, Skipping B:
  440.      If you have 2 or more CHAOS folders, SC will use the one it finds first
  441.      and ignores the others..  IE, you cannot run more than 1 copy of SC at a
  442.      time.
  445. ===============================================================================
  447.                     Ordering / Registration Instructions
  449. ===============================================================================
  452.          To Obtain the Latest and Greatest version of STellar Chaos,
  453.             a Complete Printed Manual and Your Registered Copy of
  454.                        The Initializing Program:
  457.                 Please send a Donation of $20.00 in U.S. funds
  458.                 (Postal Money Order for Foreign Orders Pleez!)
  459.              And Complete the Registration Form Below And Mail To:
  462.                               SRA Roger Thomas
  463.                               P.O. Box 8101
  464.                               Evansville, IN 44716
  467.       For Version Updates, $3 will get you the latest version on disk
  468.        ( I'm charging for disk costs and shipping - no profit here! )
  470.                                  ==  OR ==
  472.      You can download the CHAOSxxx.LZH Archive from a BBS or Online 
  473.      Service and use your  REGISTERED Initializer to start the game!
  474.      This provides 'FREE' upgrades for those with access to a modem!
  477.                   The Official STellar Chaos Support BBS Is:
  479.                            == Solano STation BBS ==
  480.                                 (707) 446-4158
  481.                                300-14,400 V.32bis
  483.           To Reach Me, Please Leave E-Mail To REDWULF, And Allow up to
  484.                      a week for responses... Thank You...
  486.                             In Hoc Signo Vinces! 
  488.                                       _|_ 
  489.                                        |
  491.             Your Forever Fellow Atari Loyalist/Fanatic - Redwulf
  493.            PS:  Hey Tramiels!  You have a winner with the Falcon!
  494.                             Dont Blow it you Hosers!
  496.                   Can You Say This Word?   A D V E R T I S E
  498. ==========================================================================
  500.                       STellar Chaos Order/Registration Form
  502.              Please Complete This Form And Include With Your Order
  503.   ( If you dont have a printer then write it out just as it appears below! )
  505.                ---------------------------------------------------
  507.   Version of SC Requested:   (____)<-- Atari Version   (____)<-- IBM Version
  508.   Amount Enclosed:           (____><-- $20.00 For Either Registered Version
  510.                              (____)<-- $3.00 ( $5 Foriegn ) For Update
  513.   BBS Name: ______________________________  BBS Phone Number:_________________
  515.   Sysop Name ( Full Name ):___________________________________________________
  517.   Sysop Handle:__________________________  Sysop Phone #:_____________________
  519.   Address:____________________________________________________________________
  521.           ____________________________________________________________________
  523.           ____________________________________________________________________
  526.   ==============================================================================
  528.   Please Complete The Following Information As It Will Help Me Better understand
  529.   The wants/Needs of My Users...
  531.   What Type Of Computer Do You Own? ___________________________________________
  533.   What BBS Software Do You Use? _______________________________________________
  535.   Comments About STellar Chaos: _______________________________________________
  537.                                 _______________________________________________
  539.                                 _______________________________________________
  541.   How Would You Rate The Quality of This Shareware Product and How Could it be
  543.   Improved? __________________________________________________________________
  545.             __________________________________________________________________
  547.             STellar Chaos Rating Chart ( 1 Selection Per Customer Pleez! )
  549.             Awesome (____)           Terrific (____)      Good (____)
  551.             OK      (____)           Bad      (____)    Give it Up Loser (____)
  554.   What Kinda of Online Games Would You like to See From Redwulf Software in the
  556.   Future? _____________________________________________________________________
  558.           _____________________________________________________________________
  561.   Would You Be interested in an Animated, Direct Connect/Null Modem/Midi Multi-
  563.   player Version of STellar Chaos With Digitized Sound ( Sorry, Atari Versions
  565.   only! ) - Yes, This is my current Post-Chaos Project: ( Yes/No ):___________