home *** CD-ROM | disk | FTP | other *** search
- Newsgroups: misc.activism.progressive
- Path: sparky!uunet!gumby!wupost!mont!pencil.cs.missouri.edu!rich
- From: rich@pencil.cs.missouri.edu (Rich Winkel)
- Subject: ANGOLA: On the Brink of War
- Message-ID: <1992Nov11.004953.21109@mont.cs.missouri.edu>
- Followup-To: alt.activism.d
- Originator: rich@pencil.cs.missouri.edu
- Sender: news@mont.cs.missouri.edu
- Nntp-Posting-Host: pencil.cs.missouri.edu
- Organization: PACH
- Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1992 00:49:53 GMT
- Approved: map@pencil.cs.missouri.edu
- Lines: 99
-
- /** headlines: 463.0 **/
- ** Topic: ANGOLA On Brink Of War **
- ** Written 11:54 am Nov 9, 1992 by newsdesk in cdp:headlines **
- /* Written 10:25 am Nov 5, 1992 by web:aiacan in igc:aia.samples */
- /* ---------- "ANGOLA On Brink Of War" ---------- */
- ES921102.ANG
-
- ANGOLA: On the Brink of War
-
- Luanda, November 2, 1992 (AIA) -- Hundreds of people have been
- killed in fierce fighting between government troops and Unita
- forces in and around this capital city amid widespread reports
- that the South African government has been sending in crack 32
- Battalion members to support Unita.
-
- The reports have been denied by the South African government,
- which maintains it has told the right-wing Unita guerrillas it
- should not expect military assistance from Pretoria if it resumes
- its armed struggle.
-
- Meanwhile AKs, grenades and mortars have been used throughout the
- city this weekend (October 31 - November 1). According to some
- reports, Unita troops have been surrounded by Angolan government
- FAPLA forces and their Luanda base, the downtown hotel Turismo,
- has been shelled. According to other reports, the situation is far
- from being under control by the government and Unita bands are
- wrecking havoc in the city.
-
- Diplomats say the fighting started when Unita made use of the
- elections to move large numbers of its troops into Luanda -- in
- which it has never had a base. From the start, they say, Unita
- members uttered threats about what would happen if Unita lost the
- election and provoked FAPLA soliders.
-
- "They (Unita) started off with a few of their soldiers guarding
- Savimbi's residence in the diplomatic quarter. Within days, there
- were about 100 armed troops surrounding the block. Days later
- there were thousands of Unita troops throughout Luanda," says a
- Scandinavian diplomat.
-
- The diplomat, who does not wish to be named, claims Unita troops
- kidnapped two FAPLA guards in the days following the election. One
- of these guards was allegedly murdered in front of the residence
- of the Portuguese ambassador, sparking off a reprisal attack by
- FAPLA troops.
-
- It appears Unita has had difficulty accepting its defeat in the
- parliamentary election last month -- the first multiparty
- elections since independence from Portugal in 1975. The ruling
- Popular Movement for the Liberation of Angola (MPLA) won 54
- percent of the vote while Unita got 34 percent in the
- parliamentary elections.
-
- In the presidential election, however, President Jose Eduardo dos
- Santos did not do as well.
-
- By winning 49.57 percent of the presidential vote in the
- elections, Dos Santos narrowly missed the 50 percent vote needed
- under Angolan law in the first multiparty elections since
- independence from Portugal in 1975. Unita leader Jonas Savimbi
- polled 40.6 percent. The remainder was shared by smaller parties.
-
- Although it was announced a second presidential election would
- take place, no definite date has been set and the second round is
- likely to be delayed by the latest fighting.
-
- Election observers maintain that while the election law says
- elections must take place within a month of the announcement of
- the first round's results, this requirement may not be met. The
- war notwithstanding, rains, poor roads and communications are
- expected to delay, by up to three months, the second presidential
- election run-off.
-
- "We will have to wait until after the rains," said one United
- Nations official before the fighting erupted last week. "The
- country may likely wait more than three months before they (the
- people) can cast ballots again."
-
- Angola's road and communications network is in an appalling
- condition after 16-years of bitter civil war. The rains will also
- make the administration of the election impossible.
-
- In addition, Foreign Affairs Minister Pedro Van Dunem says Savimbi
- must order his troops to their bases before a second round of
- voting can take place.
-
- The minister, according to local newspaper reports, says the
- government must be allowed to control areas still occupied by
- Unita.
-
- But whether Unita will agree to these conditions is unlikely,
- given its decision to make use of its new foothold in Luanda to
- launch another deadly attack on the war-weary Angolan people.
-
- Note: written with dispatches from IPS.
-
- ENDS (610 WORDS)
- ** End of text from cdp:headlines **
-
-