home *** CD-ROM | disk | FTP | other *** search
/ Frozen Fish 2: PC / frozenfish_august_1995.bin / bbs / d07xx / d0766.lha / Switcher / Switcher.doc < prev    next >
Text File  |  1992-11-21  |  6KB  |  131 lines

1.                               ABOUT SWITCHER
  3. Switcher is a set of utilities designed for Amiga owners who use a Hewlett-
  4. Packard LaserJet Series Printer and Pacific Data's PacificPage P.E cartridge.
  5. The Pacific Data cartridge provides Postscript capability to the HP series of
  6. laser printers.
  8. The problem for Amiga owners is that to switch between the Postscript and PCL
  9. (normal HP) modes, you must constantly insert/remove the Postscript cartridge
  10. every time a change is needed. Pacific Data does supply software for MS-DOS
  11. machines to allow switching between modes, but do not have any software for
  12. the Amiga.
  14. I grew tired of removing and installing the cartridge every time I needed to
  15. print a different type of document, and thus "SWITCHER" was created. SWITCHER
  16. allows the Amiga owner to leave the Pacific Data cartridge installed at all
  17. times, and switch between modes easily.
  19.                              INSTALLING SWITCHER
  21. SWITCHER can be easily installed to a Hard Drive or disk, simply by dragging 
  22. the SWITCHER icon to the destination disk. It is very compact, and takes up
  23. very little room. The only requirement for it's operation is that IconX be
  24. present in your C directory. Unless you've moved, or deleted IconX from the
  25. C directory where it is normally located, you will have no problem running 
  26. the programs.
  28.                               USING SWITCHER
  30. The SWITCHER drawer contains two programs......PostScript and LaserJet. I did
  31. provide icons for each, so that they may be run directly from the WorkBench.
  32. However, they can also be run from the CLI or Shell, simply by typing either
  33. "Execute PostScript" to engage the Postscipt mode, or "Execute LaserJet" to
  34. switch back to the standard HP mode (PCL).
  36. They operate under both version 1.3 and 2.0 of the AmigaDos operating system.
  38.                              MODIFYING SWITCHER
  40. By default, I have set up the programs for persons using a parallel printer.
  41. For most users, no modification will be necessary. However, for Amiga owners
  42. who are using a serial Hewlett-Packard LaserJet series printer, they can also
  43. easily modify the PostScript and LaserJet files using their favorite text
  44. editor. They can simply change the output device PAR: that I used, to SER:
  46. Example of a modified PostScript batch file:
  47.      Copy To_Postscript to SER:
  49. Example of a modified LaserJet batch file:
  50.      Copy To_LaserJet to SER:
  52. Serial printer users may also wish to include the baud rates as well, but it
  53. can be set via Preferences if desired. Be sure to match the baud settings of
  54. the serial port to the settings of your printer.
  56. Do not use the PRT: device. The reason for this is because neither the SER:
  57. or PAR: devices perform any translation on the ESCape codes, whereas the
  58. PRT: devices will attempt translation, and may not function correctly.
  60. I leave the possibilities open for you to explore, as modification is easy.
  62.                       SWITCHER FILES AND WHAT THEY DO
  64. Switcher - the directory where all the files are kept.
  66. Switcher.info - the icon file for the Switcher directory. This makes it easy
  67.                 to copy all the files to another destination.
  69. PostScript - an executable batch file which sends the appropriate ESCape code
  70.              (to_PostScript) to the PAR: device to engage Postscript mode.
  72. PostScript.info - an icon file. Allows IconX to run the Postscript program
  73.                   through WorkBench.
  75. LaserJet - an executable batch file which sends the appropriate ESCape code
  76.            (to_LaserJet) to the PAR: device to engage HP (PCL) mode.
  78. LaserJet.info - an icon file. Allows IconX to run the LaserJet program
  79.                 through WorkBench.
  81. to_Postscript - the actual ESCape code itself, which enables Postscript mode.
  83. to_LaserJet - the actual ESCape code itself, which enables PCL (HP) mode.
  85. Switcher.Doc - the documentation file you are now reading.
  87. Switcher.doc.info - an icon file, which allows MuchMore to read documentation.
  89.                        HEWLETT-PACKARD COMPATIBILITY
  91. My software programs should function properly with any of the following 
  92. HP LaserJet Series printers with a Pacific Data PacificPage P.E cartridge:
  94.      *HP LaserJet IIP
  95.      *HP LaserJet IID
  96.      *HP LaserJet III
  97.      *HP LaserJet IIID
  98.      *HP LaserJet IIIP
  100. Please note that your Hewlett-Packard LaserJet must have a minimum of 1.5 Mb
  101. or Ram for Postscript printing of standard Letter sized documents. A minimum
  102. of 2.5 Mb is required for Legal and A4 sized documents.
  104. I am using the PacificPage P.E cartridge with a Hewlett-Packard LaserJet III
  105. populated with 5 Mb of Ram. I feel this combination, along with my SWITCHER
  106. software provides a great amount of flexibility for DeskTop Publishing.
  108. _____________________________________________________________________________
  110. The SWITCHER drawer, PostScript & LaserJet program and icons may be freely
  111. distributed into the public domain provided they are released in entirety,
  112. along with the Switcher.doc file.
  114. I can be reached at the following address for comments, etc.
  116.                     Tom Applegate
  117.                     229 East Bertsch Street
  118.                     Lansford, Pa.  18232
  120.                     (717) 645-7935
  122. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  124.                     AND NOW THE LEGAL STUFF.............
  126. PacificPage P.E is a trademark of Pacific Data Products.
  127. Postscript is a registered trademark of Adobe Systems Incorporated.
  128. PCL is a registered trademark of Hewlett-Packard Company.
  129. Amiga & AmigaDos are registered trademarks of Commodore-Amiga, Inc.