home *** CD-ROM | disk | FTP | other *** search
Experimental website to browse and search vintage computer files from archive.org
Thousands of files are added daily! Click the links at the top!
This page has been visited times.
new stuff and site news!
from 18,423 items,
Converted or identified 88% of files encountered.
- image: 179,112,332
- text: 109,443,003
- unknown: 45,439,805
- other: 21,603,043
- executable: 14,709,126
- archive: 14,269,405
- audio: 12,186,985
- document: 7,249,943
- font: 2,467,655
- video: 1,465,685
- music: 1,421,938
- poly: 242,313
Cookies & Tracking
This site has no cookies and no tracking.
- CSS: Filenames on images when browsing
- Where do these files come from?
- All files were uploaded to archive.org by thousands of different users.
Think of this site as a partial mirror of select archive.org items, with a different interface.
- How do I contact the site operator?
- Where is XYZ content?
- Not all data from archive.org is here. This site focuses on vintage media (image/audio/video) and shareware.
- Why does this site look ugly?
- It uses very few HTML tags for compatibility with vintage/text browsers and fast loading. It's also a bit of a style choice.
- Why didn't file XYZ convert?
- This site uses dexvert to identify & convert files. It doesn't always get it right. Goal is to handle 90% of files.
- Why are some files missing?
- Some files are removed for various legal reasons
- Some text/html files are all gibberish characters?
- Try clicking the (.txt) or (.html) link at the top to view it directly.
- I can't scroll documents on iPad?
- iPad Safari is horrible with PDFs in IFRAMEs. Click on the (.pdf) link at top to view the PDF directly.
- I can browse to a file on a CD but can't find it via search?
- New files are added immediately to browse, but the search index is only updated about once a day.
- In my vintage browser I don't see some images/videos/text?
- Files are encoded as PNG/SVG, MP4, MP3 and UTF8. Offering vintage encodings would be too burdensome.
- Why does the image page access sessionStorage?
- The "scale persist" feature uses sessionStorage to save/load the scale. This stays on your computer and vanishes on tab close.
- You preview all sorts of images and weird formats, will you add emulation too?
- Emulation requires a massive amount of hand-coding to ensure the programs work properly - while never say never,
it will probably only be a tiny amount of the files on this site that ever see in-the-browser emulation, if at all.
- Chromium Based
- Good (Lacks AUDIO/VIDEO/PDF/IFRAME)
Internet Explorer 4.0+ (Windows)
Internet Explorer 5.0+ (Mac)
Netscape Communicator 4.0+
- Mediocre (Lacks above and PNG/UTF8)
- Internet Explorer 4.0 (Mac)
Netscape Navigator 2.0 - 3.0
- Poor (Lacks above and and STYLE/SCRIPT content shows on page)
- Netscape Navigator 1.0
- Abysmal (Lacks above and some URLs break)
- Internet Explorer 1.0 - 2.0
NCSA MOSAIC 1.0