home *** CD-ROM | disk | FTP | other *** search
/ Frozen Fish 1: Amiga / FrozenFish-Apr94.iso / bbs / alib / d1xx / d161 / lgz.lha / LGZ / lgz.doc < prev    next >
Text File  |  1988-10-02  |  6KB  |  115 lines

3.                     About LGZ
  5.    LGZ is not a finished program, nor is it a program that can stand for 
  6. itself.  Two functions are disabled, and it is too specialized to be useful
  7. to the most people. Then why am I putting it in the public domain? Well,
  8. because it could be useful to a few, because it could provide examples of how
  9. to use various functions, because some may use the fractalish terrain
  10. generator or the file requester, because it could be fun to play around with
  11. your own terrain and mainly because I have put a lot of work in it. 
  12.    Actually, it's to be used for the Play-By-Mail game 'Let's Get Civilized' by
  13. Malik Hyldtoft, who asked me if I could make a program to store informations
  14. during play. Well, it could be made, and I began with using Chris Gray's
  15. fractalish terrain generator to make the world, and accidentally called it
  16. 'Let's Get Ziviliced' or just LGZ. Later on I added various editing features,
  17. menus and saving/loading, and it turned out to be relatively well made, so I
  18. decided to send it to Fred. Much of the code is made with help from Fish
  19. programs, for example the menus and the file requester.
  21.                     Using LGZ
  23.    LGZ will run both from WB and CLI. It opens its own screen and window, and
  24. then generates a 64x64 area terrain, taking some 5 seconds to do so. I made,
  25. after some trial and error, an NTSC version in interlace were the graphics wrer
  26. higher, but I accidentally wrote it over, so now it just goes interlace on NTSC
  27. screens, which makes a little unhandy, anybody who cares are welcome to fix it.
  28. Then it displays it, with colors representing height, from blue(sea) over green
  29. and brown to white. A yellow block in a green area means it is desert, while a
  30. little line of yellow indicates plains and no yellow at all signifies wooden
  31. areas. A gadget shows up in the corner, saying 'READY', meaning only that no
  32. function is being run at the moment and it is ready for user's input. As all
  33. inputs are qeued, one should be careful when selcting menuitems without the
  34. 'READY'-gadget visible.  It closes, of course, when the closing gadget is
  35. pressed.
  37.                     Menuitems
  39. Project Menu:
  40.    The use of Clear, Open, Save & Quit should be obvious.
  41.    Note on the file requester: If you double-click a dir/volume name, it'll
  42.    enter the Path specification, if you double-click a file name, it'll
  43.    load/save.
  44.    About shows who made the program.
  45. Edit Menu:
  46.    Pixel let you edit the map pixelwise. You select height or terrain type on
  47.       the left and press over the map with the mouse to change an area.
  48.    Sink & Lift respectively sinks and lifts the entire map one. This way, even
  49.       maps that are only sea at start may be used anyway, as the sea is as
  50.       uneven as the land, it just doesn't show up. Cleared terrains aren't
  51.       very interesting, they're flat.
  52.    Compress divides all heights by two. Do that a couple of times, and it's all
  53.       flat. There is NO reverse function, and a lot of data get lost.
  54.    Scroll scrolls the entire map one line in any direction.
  55. New Map menu:
  56.    Grow grows either new heights, new vegetation (i.e. desert, plains or 
  57.       woods), or both. Shows here that the growth is made also with the 
  58.       terrain generator, to ensure that the desert and the woods don't meet.
  59.    Vegetation selects whether or not the vegetation should be shown. Note
  60.       that if the vegetation is off when you try to put some on, it puts it on
  61.       again, redrawing the whole map.
  62.    Parameters lets you set the growth parameters for height and growth.
  63.       It brings up a requester with the current values and lets you enter
  64.       new ones. The uppermost values represent the gross layout of the map,
  65.       while the ones at the bottom direct the details. 
  66.       Entering a value of zero will currently crash the program!!!
  67.       Experiment with this and growing new terrain types.
  68.       The requester is also available as a DMRequester, double-click the
  69.       menu button. 
  70.       At the moment, the cancel option is unimplemented. 
  71.    Levelling is a way to make the terrain more smooth without making it flat.
  72.       It sets the height of each area to a weighted average of the surrounding
  73.       areas. It's currently disabled because it trashes the map and calls forth.
  74.       the GURU.
  75.    3D-Map is a feature that I have never begun to make. It should show the
  76.       entire map three-dimensionally.
  78.                     The future
  80.    Plans for this program goes like: Fix the last bugs, make 3D-Map, and then
  81. make it usable for the game LGZ itself. By then, it won't be as interesting
  82. for the Public Domain as now, because you'll need a lot of rules to use it.
  83. In the end, it should be no more than a helping program, not a game in itself.
  85.                     Thanks to:
  87. Malik Hyldtoft for giving me something funny to work on without time limits.
  88. Henrik Clausen for advice, debugging (lots of this), and the parameters DMRequest.
  89. Bjarne Fich for good ideas.
  90. Chris Gray for the terrain generator (and Empire).
  91. Peter da Silva for a beautiful file requester.
  92. Perry S. Kivolowitz for some simple programs where I could find understandable
  93.    screen, window & colormap structs.
  94. Custom Services for the Menubuilder program.
  95. Fred Fish - so long, and thanks for all the Fish.
  98.    Hack this program as wildly as you wish, as long as you don't sell it
  99. without my knowledge, give Chris credit for the terrain generator, and Peter
  100. da Silva for the file requester (I'd like to see it on more programs, it's
  101. nice, easy to put into the program, and good to use.) 
  102.    If you actually find this program very useful, I could always use a few
  103. dollars, and I would be glad to hear about improvements made on it,
  104. escpecially if someone made a faster drawing routine, as it is rather slow,
  105. and I don't have the time myself. Keep up the good work, everybody, and Keep
  106. Shareware Alive!  So, that was all I wanted to say, have a jolly good time
  107. and enjoy the AMIGA.
  110.                                             Lars R. Clausen
  111.                                             Spobjergvej 87
  112.                                             DK 8220 Brabrand 
  113.                                             Denmark