home *** CD-ROM | disk | FTP | other *** search
/ Crawly Crypt Collection 1 / crawlyvol1.bin / bbs / list_200 / updt_200.txt < prev   
Text File  |  1994-04-15  |  7KB  |  145 lines

2.                                   LiSTer V2.00
  3.                                   """"""""""""
  4.      OK,  this  is  going to be the final release  of  LiSTer.  I'm  really 
  5.      surprised  at  the lack of response that I've had,  (NOT!) and  to  be 
  6.      honest,  it doesn't inspire me to carry on programming for the  ST.  I 
  7.      have released several other programs too but the response to them  has 
  8.      been extremely poor. All except one program is totally free, but I get 
  9.      the impression that even free software is not  appreciated.  Still,  I 
  10.      don't  suppose anyone will be bothered after reading this either  -  I 
  11.      wonder how long the Atari ST's will survive?!
  13.      This  release cures a couple of small bugs that most of  you  probably 
  14.      haven't even seen, those who have have written to me. (Thanks guys.)
  16.      There is one small addition to this release - you may now define  your 
  17.      own title for the top ten lists. Thanks for the suggestion, David.
  19.      I've  added the update notes for the last couple of releases  to  this 
  20.      text,  I don't know if it's worth it though, no-one gets to the end of 
  21.      the file anyway!
  23.      If  I  receive any bug reports then I may fix them and release  a  new 
  24.      version,  but I don't seriously expect to see much back. I feel fairly 
  25.      confident that all bugs have now been eradicated.
  27.      I feel sorry for shareware programmers out there!  If I can't even get 
  28.      messages, how do you do for money?!?! ;-)
  30.      Regards,  Robert.
  32.                                   LiSTer V1.90
  33.                                   """"""""""""
  35.      This  update  just cures a couple of minor bugs  that  I  accidentally 
  36.      released in V1.80. There is only one extra bit in it!
  38.      If  you use the keyword SHOWMEM in your Lister.ctl file then the  free 
  39.      memory on your computer will be displayed while Lister is carrying out 
  40.      it's  work.  It  was just something I added so I could  see  how  much 
  41.      memory  Lister was using while compiling my lists,  but I  decided  to 
  42.      leave it in.
  44.                                   LiSTer V1.80
  45.                                   """"""""""""
  47.      OK,  LiSTer now creates some ever-so-nice Top Ten charts now,  in  all 
  48.      the above flavours.  I have found that a setting of 15  produces   the 
  49.      best sized files as these fit perfectly on one normal  sized   monitor 
  50.      screen.  To  produce these charts I have come up with yet another  new 
  51.      switch to be added to the LiSTer control file.
  53.      FOURTOPS
  55.      If you include this switch,  in addition to the WRITE TOPTEN  command, 
  56.      of course, then all four types of charts are produced. Without it only 
  57.      the ASC version will be written.  The old style .TXT file is no longer 
  58.      produced. For QuickBBS SysOps it is a simple thing to have these files 
  59.      written to your TEXT folder, and use menu option 45 to display them. I 
  60.      don't know what you do on ProBBS systems.
  62.      To  make the Top Ten list(s) a bit better you also have the option  to 
  63.      not  include any filenames that you do not wish to appear in your  Top 
  64.      Ten listing,  such as your ALLFILES.LZH file, etc. To do this, put the 
  65.      filenames between the lines OMIT and ENDOMIT. Each filename must be on 
  66.      a seperate line. For example,
  68.      OMIT
  69.      ALLFILES.LZH
  70.      ALLFILES.TXT
  71.      NEWFILES.LZH
  72.      ENDOMIT
  74.      These  three  filenames will not appear in any of the Top  Ten  lists. 
  75.      This  need only be included in the main body of the control  file,  it 
  76.      will apply to all lists produced. (Requested by Alan Woodcock.)
  78.      Had a bug reported by Si Gardner.  I guess he had created new  folders 
  79.      ready  to  add new file areas to his BBS,  and copied over  a  current 
  80.      FILES.BBS file to the otherwise empty folder.  LiSTer was fooled  into 
  81.      thinking  that  the  area existed and added it to  the  file  lists... 
  82.      really rather pointless with no files in!  It also used the title from 
  83.      that FILES.BBS file which made it appear that LiSTer was retaining the 
  84.      title from the previous area....  which it couldn't do!  Anyway,  it's 
  85.      fixed.  If  a  folder  has  no files  other  than  the  FILES.BBS  (or 
  86.      FILES.DAT) file then it will be ignored.
  88.      For ProBBS users I have made a significant number of  changes,  mainly 
  89.      caused  by  completely forgetting that it is using  a  different  file 
  90.      format! Oops... *8)
  92.      First  of  all,  those of you have converted over from  QuickBBS  have 
  93.      undoubtedly  run a conversion program to produce your FILES.DAT  files 
  94.      from  your  existing  FILES.BBS  format.  Unfortunately  for  you,  it 
  95.      included the download count from the old file too,  which could  cause 
  96.      all  sorts  of confusion.  A file could say it had been  downloaded  3 
  97.      times in your description,  yet the FILES.DAT file said it was only 1! 
  98.      I used the data from the FILES.DAT file to get the download count  for 
  99.      the  Top  Ten lists,  but the file count was not shown in  the  actual 
  100.      listing. This is what happens now....
  102.      o LiSTer takes the number of times a file has been downloaded from the 
  103.      FILES.DAT file.
  105.      o If a description includes a count of any kind then it is wiped  from 
  106.      the description.  If there is a download count against this file  from 
  107.      the FILES.DAT file then this is included in the description.
  109.      o FOR THIS REASON IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU INCLUDE THE BRACKETS TO  BE 
  110.      USED, OR TO BE WIPED, IN THE TOPTEN COMMAND LINE. DO NOT OMIT IT!!!
  112.      I  think that's about it.  Unless any bugs are reported then I  expect 
  113.      this  will be the last released version of LiSTer.  I can't  think  of 
  114.      anything else that I want an Allfiles list creator to do,  can you?  I 
  115.      shall be restarting my work on TidyFile next, I hope.
  117.      """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
  119.      That's it.  Right, a small plea to you all! I am interested to see how 
  120.      many people are using LiSTer out there. I'm not charging anything, and 
  121.      don't intend to for this program,  so what I'd like from you is either 
  122.      a postcard of your home town (preferable!) or a small netmail  message 
  123.      which  just lets me know you are using it.  Surely you can  appreciate 
  124.      the amount of time I have spent coding LiSTer so I don't think  that's 
  125.      too much to ask.
  127.      For  those of you who can't be bothered to look up my home address  in 
  128.      the main text file, here is my address:
  130.      Robert Darling,
  131.      11B Turketel Road,
  132.      Folkestone,
  133.      Kent, CT20 2PA.
  135.      If you wish to send a netmail then you must have nodelists  available! 
  136.      I can also be reached by email address to:
  138.      Robert_Darling@standard.embassy.com
  140.      Looking forward to hearing from you.
  142.      BeST Regards, Robert.