home *** CD-ROM | disk | FTP | other *** search
/ Crawly Crypt Collection 1 / crawlyvol1.bin / bbs / lfa_034 / lfa.doc < prev    next >
Text File  |  1993-06-17  |  6KB  |  149 lines

1.                             Latest Files Announcer.
  2.                             ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  3.                                  Version 0.32
  4.                                  ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  5.                       Copyright © 1993 by Robert Darling.
  7.      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  8.      This program is released into the Public Domain with no  guarantees.
  9.      You use this program at your own risk and I accept no  responsibilty 
  10.      for any damage that may be caused by use or mis-use of this program. 
  11.      The source code remains my copyright.
  12.      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  14.      The  purpose  of this program is simple - it reports any  new  files 
  15.      that have arrived at your system since the previous day to a message 
  16.      area of your choice.
  18.      It was originally written for QBBS systems only but now handles both 
  19.      QBBS  and  ///Turbo v2.x systems,  plus any that use  the  FILES.BBS 
  20.      system like that used by QuickBBS ST.
  22.      The  program may be run more than once per day is you find the  need 
  23.      to.  A  temporary list of files that have already been  reported  is 
  24.      created and added to each run on that day. It will be deleted on the 
  25.      next day and a new list created. It will only write a message if new 
  26.      files are found.
  28.      So, what do you need. Well, the archive should include the following 
  29.      files:
  31.      LFA.PRG    - The main program.
  32.      LFA.CTL    - A sample control file for LFA.
  33.      SEARCH.CTL - A sample search file.
  34.      LFA.DOC    - This doc!
  35.      LFA.HIS    - An ascii file detailing the history of the program.
  37.      Basically,  LFA.CTL and SEARCH.CTL (if required) must be located  in 
  38.      the same directory as LFA.PRG.
  40.      The format of the  LFA.CTL is as follows:
  42.      SYSTEM    <name>
  44.      Enter the name of your BBS or system.
  46.      QBBS      <path>
  48.      If  you  run a QuickBBS ST system then enter the path to  your  main 
  49.      QBBS  directory here.  This will force LFA to use your  FLSEARCH.CTL 
  50.      file.  If  you  wish to define your own paths then you may  use  the 
  51.      file  SEARCH.CTL  instead,  but do not use  the  QBBS  command.  The 
  52.      SEARCH.CTL  file is slightly different to the FLSEARCH.CTL  file  in 
  53.      that it does not include a security level. The security level is not 
  54.      used in LFA anyway!
  56.      TURBO     <path>
  58.      If  you run a ///Turbo v2.x system then enter the path to your  main 
  59.      BBS directory here.  You may not use a SEARCH.CTL file with ///Turbo 
  60.      systems.  It will search all the drives and paths as defined by your 
  61.      ///Turbo parameters.
  63.      MSGAREA   <path + name>
  65.      Enter  the complete path to your message base plus the name  of  the 
  66.      area you wish to report to. DO NOT add the extender.
  68.      LOGPATH   <path>
  70.      You may include this command if you wish the log file to be place in 
  71.      a  directory other than the one which LFA is run from.  The path  is 
  72.      not checked so ensure that it does exist before using it.
  74.      NOLOG
  76.      This command switches the log file reporting off.
  78.      NODISPLAY
  80.      This command will switch off the screen output.
  82.      HEADER    <path + name>
  84.      You may define a small text file which will be displayed at the  top
  85.      of the report with this command. To prevent an extra empty line from
  86.      appearing between this header  and the start  of the  report do  NOT
  87.      press return at the end of the last line entered in the text.
  88.      Note: this text file must be written in ascii!
  90.      FOOTER    <path + name>
  92.      You may define a small text file which will be displayed at the  end
  93.      of the report with this command. To prevent an extra empty line from
  94.      appearing between this footer and the identification line at the end
  95.      report do  NOT press  return at the  end of the last line entered in 
  96.      the text.
  97.      Note: this text file must be written in ascii!
  99.      OMIT and ENDOMIT
  101.      You  may  include filenames between these commands that you  do  not 
  102.      wish reporting.  For instance, if you update your ALLFILES.xxx daily 
  103.      you may not wish to report these. OMIT should be placed on one line, 
  104.      then  each filename placed on a seperate line after this.  The  last 
  105.      command ENDOMIT must be placed on a seperate line immediately  after 
  106.      your last filename.
  109.      A  semi-colon  (;) in column 1 of either of the control  files  will 
  110.      cause  that line to be ignored.  The example control files  included 
  111.      are commented to assist you with setting up LFA easily.  A backslash
  112.      is not required after a path has been defined,  although  it will be
  113.      added if missing.
  115.      ///Turbo Sysops may now define area descriptions which will  be used
  116.      to show which area a file has been entered.  To do this a file named
  117.      TURBDESC.CTL will need to be created in  the same  directory as  the
  118.      main program. An example file is included.  Basically, you define an
  119.      area description for each of your *.FIL files as shown. The complete
  120.      name of the .FIL file is required otherwise it won't work.  Comments
  121.      are NOT possible in this file.  If  this file is  not  found then  a
  122.      description will be created from the .FIL file currently being used.
  124.      Well,  that's  about it.  I hope you like the program,  and if so  I 
  125.      wouldn't  mind hearing from you,  either by  netmail,  echomail,  or 
  126.      postcard. If you have any suggestions or bug reports then please let 
  127.      me know, and I will include / fix them if possible.
  129.      Many  thanks must go to Mark Matts who provided me with some  source 
  130.      code  which  I  ripped to bits and edited  for  inclusion  into  the 
  131.      program.  Also, my thanks go to Flemming Nielsen who was good enough 
  132.      to provide me with the necessary information to incorporate ///Turbo 
  133.      support.
  135.      Cheers,
  137.      Robert Darling.
  139.      Contact numbers:
  141.      FolkeSTone QBBS - +44-(0)303-249306
  142.      FidoNet         - 2:255/375
  143.      NeST            - 90:106/130
  144.      AtariNet        - 51:501/100
  146.      A  Miracom  Dual Standard Plus allows connections at  up  to  14,400 
  147.      baud, 24 hours a day.