home *** CD-ROM | disk | FTP | other *** search
- Newsgroups: misc.activism.progressive
- Path: sparky!uunet!europa.asd.contel.com!howland.reston.ans.net!usc!wupost!mont!pencil.cs.missouri.edu!rich
- From: rich@pencil.cs.missouri.edu (Rich Winkel)
- Subject: Indonesia's Military Grip on East Timor
- Message-ID: <1992Dec15.070618.18339@mont.cs.missouri.edu>
- Followup-To: alt.activism.d
- Originator: rich@pencil.cs.missouri.edu
- Sender: news@mont.cs.missouri.edu
- Nntp-Posting-Host: pencil.cs.missouri.edu
- Organization: PACH
- Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1992 07:06:18 GMT
- Approved: map@pencil.cs.missouri.edu
- Lines: 249
-
- /** gen.newsletter: 139.0 **/
- ** Topic: NL12 Military grip on East-Timor **
- ** Written 5:38 pm Dec 14, 1992 by asta.unih@oln.comlink.apc.org in cdp:gen.newsletter **
- Military grip on East Timor tightens
-
- The non-alligned Movement Summit in September was the occasion for
- hightened security measures in Dili to ensure no-one tried to take
- advantage of the presence of hundreds of foreign journalists to
- hold demonstrations. In August, the army launched a new offensive,
- hoping to capture resistance leader, Xanana Gusmao.
-
- Military offensive underway
-
- Brig. Gen Theo Syafei hopes to "finish off" Falintil, the armed
- resistance, andf capture its leader, Xanana Gusmao, in time to
- disband the special Dili operational command, Kolakops, by the end
- of September.
- José Ramos_Horta, external reprentative of the resistance council,
- CNRM, warned early in August that a new offensicew had been
- launched, expressing the fear that this action might become "as
- violent as in 1977 and 1978 when 90% of the guerillas were killed
- or captured" (AFRP, 8.8.1992). The Fretilin representative in
- Darwin, Alfredo Pareira, later spoke of the guerillas as being
- locked in battle with Indonesian troops in the regions of Viqueque
- and Baucau. He had received reports of a fierce battle in Same
- during which seven guerillas and 20 Indonesian soldiers were
- killed. The battle took place in Aiburbur Laran, near Mount
- Cablaque. "The Indonesians are trying to encircle (the guerillas)
- and push them towards the centre of Timor," Pareira said (Reuter,
- 11.8.1992).
- Although an armed forces spokesperson denied that an offensive was
- under way, there have been several claims in the Indonesian press
- during August about guerillas being captured or killed. Jakarta
- Post (2.9.1992) reported one "aremd contact" in East Timor, during
- which two Indonesian soldiers were killed. It is rare for the
- Indonesian military to admit any casulties on their side, wehich
- means that their losses have been far greater.
- Information from protected sources in Indonesia add to the picture
- of ongoing operations. They report that:
- * army units have been stationed everywhere in the country, and
- villagers are forced to accompany the troops on military
- operations as a shield against attacks by the guerilla forces.
- * soldiers dressed as guerillas have attacked villages, in order
- to undermine the people's trust in the resistance.
- A claim in Jakarta Post (16.9.1992) that people digging graves in
- Manatutu were shot dead by guerillas could well be an example of
- the above.
- Brig. Gen Syafei also said that his "territorial campaign" of
- swamping Timorese villages with troops was still in place. The aim
- he said is to "memerahputihkan (turn red-and-white, the coluor of
- the Indonesian flag), the villages, sub-districts and districts".
- He complained of "two-faced" people who were not yet
- "red-and-white", people who work as government employees but
- "whose thoughts are in the bush" (Jawa Pos, 30.7.1992).
-
- Tight Security in Timor during NAM
-
- During the week when the non-aligned summit was held in Jakarta,
- security control in East Timor was stepped up to a level not
- experience for months. Armed troops were on guard at all so-called
- "strategic" places like schools, churches and other buildings.
- Describing the tense atmosphere, Jawa Pos (10.9.1992) said the
- military was on high alert, fearing that groups of young Timorese
- would unfurl banners in the presence of Bishop Belo during Mass on
- Sunday 6 September. The Mass was cancelled for "security" reasons.
- Army controls in and out of Dili were intensified. After the "NAM
- alert" had been sclaed down, the paper reported that uniformed
- officers on the streets were repalced by plain clothes
- intelligence agents roaming in the streets.
- Report that had been reaching TAPOL of many arrest were confirmed
- by Brig. Gen Syafei who announced that eight civil servants had
- been arrested in Viqueque "recently". On another occasion 25
- people had been arrested in Maliana. They were all being subjected
- to indoctrination (di-P4-kan). Refusing to explain where they were
- being held, an exasperated Syafei said 120 hours of indoctrination
- would not be enough. "Even three thousand hours won't be enough.
- Just imagine, 18 years has not been enough!" (Jawa Pos,
- 15.9.1992).
- A small grup of East Timorese who wanted to fly from Dili to
- Jakarta while the summit was in progress were prevented from doing
- so. According to one report, they were caught at the airport,
- found to be carrying foreign language posters and banners and held
- for questioning.
- Earlier, a group of seven or eight young East Timorese fled to
- Jakarta from Dili. They were probably intending to take part in an
- action in the Indonesian capital during the Summit. In the event,
- nothing happened and the escapees went into hiding. They have sent
- a plea for hepl to a number of international human rights
- organisations, including Tapol. The text of their letter is
- rerpoduced below.
- Details have also emerged of the arrest of 20 schoolpupils, 15
- from SMA Negeri-I (State secondary school), 4 from SMA Santo
- Paulus and 1 from the Sacred Heart SMA, all apparently in Dili.
- A young man, Antonioo Baptista Sequeiram, who had been tranferred
- from Dili to Viqueque and placed uncer the control of the local
- military commander, managed to escape and retrun to his family in
- Dili. However, he was rearrested in August. Antonio was among the
- more than three dozen Timorese arrested immediately after the
- Santa Cruz massacre 12. November 1991. Later, 13 of the detainees
- were tried; the other 24 were sent to local military commands "for
- indoctrination and special treatment", according to Brig Gen
- Syafei (Suara Karya, 9.3,1992). We now know that these youngsters
- have been used as TBOs or "bearers" for the troops while on combat
- duty. Antonio said, before his rearrest: "I couldn't bear all the
- noise of the battles raging. I couldn't bear having to help the
- Indonesian troops who I hate so much."
- A recent visitor to East Timor said he had been told of many
- arrests in Viqueque in July. In the middle of that month, seven
- men were held, beaten "till black in the face" and later released
- after intervention by the International Red Cross. Later, 50
- youths were arrested. The names of some of those arrested have
- since reached us, but we cannot confirm whether they are still
- being held.
- Another victim of the latest wave of arrests is Talofo Moniz Alin,
- arrested in Dili on 1 August. Talofo was arrested and badly beaten
- in December 1990, along with many others.
- The following are some fragments of information from protected
- sources:
- * on July 6, the home of the Same parish priest was surrounded by
- troops who were chasing a young man wanted because he attended the
- demonstration in Dili on 12 November 1991;
- * two women, Justina of Gariwai and Deolinda from Makalaku, were
- arrested, taken to Dili and tortured to get them to divulge the
- names of resistance fighters;
- * on July 21, two men sought refuge at the Bishop's House, Dili,
- were followed into the ground by soldiers;
- * many local priests are under surveillance and are being accused
- of helping the resistance.
-
- Visits and Non-Visits
-
- Four Portuguese journalists who were allowed into Indonesia to
- cover the Summit were initially told that no limits would be
- placed on their visit and given permssion to go to East Timor.
- However, at the last moment, the trip was cancelled on the orders
- of the military commander. As far as is known, none of the other
- foreign journalists in Jakarta for the Summit was allowed to visit
- East Timor.
- Two contacts who visited East Timor independently in July and
- August as tourists described the huge difficulty of spaeking to
- anyone, in the knowlege that anyone seen speaking to foreigners,
- for whatever reason, would later be hauled in for intorragation.
- Both reported that on arrival at Dili airport, all foreign
- visitors are photographed as they get off the plane. One wrote:"As
- each westener descended the steps, our friend the photographer
- snapped his/her picture. I learned from other westeners that the
- same person greets every ferry that arrives from Dili from Kupang
- or other islands."
- This contact spoke of not knowing who you couold trust: "One
- night, someone stood outside my hotel for a couple of hours,
- peering through a little hole in the window as I lay in bed. It
- was pretty scary as I had no idea what to do."
- In one district capital he was "invited" to the military
- commander's home "for a chat" which lasted one-and-a-half hours.
- "Why had I come to East Timor? What did I know about the Santa
- Cruz event? How did the "reality" of East Timor compare with the
- picture presented outside?"
- One thing that had impressed him was the scale of the Indonesian
- presence. While he could not confirm that there are 100,000
- Indonesians in East Timor, " at the very least, they number in the
- midhigh tens of thousands. I was constantly meeting Indonesians
- who had recently arrived...As many Timorese said to me, 'All of
- Indonesia is here'."
- The other visitor, who was in East Timor with a colleague, said
- that on returning from a day trip to Ermera, "we were virtually
- interragated as to whether we'd spoken to anyone and what our
- professions were. During a visit to Quelicai, we were accompanied
- almost the whole time by a plain clothes officer." Although they
- had found it difficult to enter into conversation with East
- Timorese, on one occasion, at as bus-stop in Baucau, a Timorese
- student told them he had been at the Santa Cruz memorial meeting,
- had lost many friends in the massacre, and said security officers
- were continuing to arrest and even kill members of the opposition.
- The conversation was soon interrupted by someone who invited the
- tourists for tea!
- Despite all this, both contacts said that the fes Timorese they
- met had stressed the importance of tourists' visits.
-
-
- Call for Help from East Timor
-
- The following letter, which was written in Prtuguese and dated
- "Java, 5 September 1992", has been received by Tapol with a
- request that we publish it:
-
- To the Directors of international human rights institutions in
- Australia, America, Europe and Africa:
-
- Dear Sirs, we are young people from East Timor who have been able
- to escape from Timor and who are hiding in Javanese territory.
- Through this letter, we would like to ask you to exert pressure to
- guarantee our security and that of our families and colleagues and
- people in general in East Timor who are at risk, who are
- threatened and constantly being followed and imprisoned in the
- claws of the difficult situation perpetrated by the Indonesian
- military in our native land. We can do no more than ask for
- protection from God and from you.
- OUr colleague, Agostinho Pareira (Mau Laku) also intended to
- escpae but was captured at the airport in Dili. He was carrying
- letters from our families and some information about human rights
- violations in East Timor. He was savegely beaten while he was
- still at the airport until blood was coming out of his ears.
- During his harsh interrogation, he was forced to reveal details
- which included the fact that we had escaped to Jakarta.
- Dear Sirs, during this last week, tens of young students and
- civilians have been taken to prison and up till now the
- whereabouts of some of them are not known. in Ainarno, Liquisa,
- Baucau, Viqueque and Lospalos, hundreds of people have been taken
- prisoners and brutally tortured. We accept all this because it is
- one consequence of the struggle, the isolated struggle of the East
- Timorese people. On the other hand, we need the solidarity of the
- international community and your organisations in teerms of the
- humanitarian aspect. Today, the Red Cross is nor carrying out much
- of its specific mission; its activities are very limited in
- accordance with its agreement with the Jakarta government. "They
- report what they see, but they do not speak about what they see
- and do not interfere."
- For this reason, once again, we ask you to put pressure on
- Indonesia to ensure the vital security of all those who are
- hounded, imprisoned, threatened and the security of our families
- and the general population.
- We are prepared for "political exile" if our brothers in East
- Timor are not freed immediately. We appeal to you to disseminate
- our letter through Radio Australia, the BBC Portugal, America etc.
- so as to attract the attention of the world.
- With great sadness, we send greetings to you and to all the
- leaders of our resistance movement in the diplomatic arena.
-
- Signed by:
-
- Filipe R. Pareira, Jose Manuel de Sousa, Clementino F. Oliveira,
- Nelson A. Baptista, Ventura V. Conceicao, Mateus Brito Ximenez,
- Profiori da C. Oliveira.
- ---------------------------------------
-
- NEWSLETTER
- c/o AStA Universitaet Hannover
- Student Union of Hannover University
-
- Post/Mail : Welfengarten 1, W-3000 Hannover 1, Germany
- Tel./Phone : +49 511 762 506-1,-2,-3
- Fax : +49 511 717 441
-
- from ComLink, Z-Netz : ASTA.UNIH@OLN.ZER
- from Internet : asta.unih@oln.comlink.de
- from APC : asta.unih@oln.comlink.apc.org
- ---------------------------------------
- ** End of text from cdp:gen.newsletter **
-
-