home *** CD-ROM | disk | FTP | other *** search
-
- Trinity Site: 1945-1995.
- A National Historic Landmark
- White Sands Missile Range, New Mexico
-
-
-
-
- Contents:
-
- Radiation at Trinity Site.
- How to Get to Trinity Site.
- Trinity Site National Historic Landmark.
- The Manhattan Project.
- The Theory.
- Building a test site.
- Jumbo.
- Bomb Assembly.
- The test.
- After the explosion.
- It's the Schmidt house.
- Afterwards.
- White Sands Missile Range.
- Reading List.
-
-
-
- "The effects could well be called unprecedented, magnificent,
- beautiful, stupendous, and terrifying. No man-made phenomenon of such
- tremendous power had ever occurred before. The lighting effects
- beggared description. The whole country was lighted by a searing
- light with the intensity many times that of the midday sun."
-
- Brig. Gen. Thomas Farrell
-
-
-
- Radiation at Trinity Site
-
-
- In deciding whether to visit ground zero at Trinity Site, the
- following information may prove helpful to you.
-
- Radiation levels in the fenced, ground zero area are low. On an
- average the levels are only 10 times greater than the region's natural
- background radiation. A one-hour visit to the inner fenced area will
- result in a whole body exposure of one-half to one milliroentgen.
-
- To put this in perspective, a U.S. adult receives an average exposure
- of 90 milliroentgens every year from natural and medical sources. For
- instance, the Department of Energy says we receive between 35 and 50
- milliroentgens every year from the sun and from 20 to 35
- milliroentgens every year from our food. Living in a brick house adds
- 50 milliroentgens of exposure every year compared to living in a frame
- house. Finally, flying coast to coast in a jet airliner gives an
- exposure of between three and five milliroentgens on each trip.
-
- Although radiation levels are low, some feel any extra exposure should
- be avoided. The decision is yours. It should be noted that small
- children and pregnant women are potentially more at risk than the rest
- of the population and are generally considered groups who should only
- receive exposure in conjunction with medical diagnosis and treatment.
- Again, the choice is yours.
-
- At ground zero, Trinitite, the green, glassy substance found in the
- area, is still radioactive and must not be picked up.
-
-
- Typical radiation exposures for Americans
- Per The National Council on Radiation Protection
-
- On hour at ground zero = 1/2 mrem
-
- Cosmic rays from space = 40 mrem at sea level per year
-
- Radioactive minerals in rocks and soil = 55 mrems per year
-
- Radioactivity from air, water, and food = anywhere from 20 to 400 mrem
- per year
-
- About 22 mrem per chest X-ray and 900 mrem for whole-mouth dental X-
- rays
-
- Smoking one pack of cigarettes a day for one year = 40 mrem
-
- Miscellaneous such as watch dials and smoke detectors = 2 mrem per
- year
-
-
-
- How to Get to Trinity Site
-
-
- Trinity Site, where the world's first atomic bomb was exploded in
- 1945, is normally open to the public twice a year--on the first
- Saturday in April and October.
-
- Trinity is located on the northern end of the 3,200-square-mile White
- Sands Missile Range, N.M., between the towns of Carrizozo and Socorro,
- N.M. There are two ways of entering the restricted missile range on
- tour days.
-
- Visitors can enter through the range's Stallion Range Center which is
- five miles south of Highway 380. The turnoff is 12 miles east of San
- Antonio, N.M. , and 53 miles west of Carrizozo, N.M. The Stallion
- gate will be open 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Visitors arriving at the gate
- between those hours will receive handouts and will be allowed to drive
- unescorted the 17 miles to Trinity Site. The road is paved and
- marked.
-
- The other way of entering the missile range is by travelling with a
- caravan sponsored by the Alamogordo (N.M.) Chamber of Commerce. The
- caravan forms at the Otero County Fairgrounds in Alamogordo and leaves
- at 8 a.m. Visitors entering this way will travel as an escorted group
- with military police to and from Trinity Site. The drive is 170 miles
- round trip. There are no service station facilities on the missile
- range. The caravan is scheduled to leave Trinity Site at 12:30 p.m.
- for the return to Alamogordo. The caravan may leave later if there is
- a large number of vehicles in the returning caravan.
-
- In 1995, an additional open house will be conducted on July 16, the
- 50th anniversary of the Trinity test. Visitors may enter the missile
- range through the Stallion Range Center gate from 5 to 11 a.m. There
- will be no caravan leaving from Alamogordo, N.M., for this event. The
- early hours will allow visitors to be on-site at 5:29:45 a.m., the
- time the Trinity Site detonation occurred, and should help visitors
- avoid the 100-plus degree afternoon temperatures common here in July.
-
- Included on the Trinity Site tour is Ground Zero where the atomic bomb
- was placed on a 100-foot steel tower and exploded on July 16, 1945. A
- small monument now marks the spot. Visitors also see the McDonald
- ranch house where the world's first plutonium core for a bomb was
- assembled. The missile range provides historical photographs and a
- Fat Man bomb casing for display. There are no ceremonies or speakers.
-
- Portable toilet facilities are available on site. Hot dogs and sodas
- are sold at the parking lot. Cameras are allowed at Trinity Site, but
- their use is strictly prohibited anywhere else on White Sands Missile
- Range.
-
- For more information, contact the White Sands Missile Range Public
- Affairs Office at (505) 678-1134/1700.
-
-
-
- Trinity Site National Historic Landmark
-
-
- Trinity Site is where the first atomic bomb was tested at 5:29:45 a.m.
- Mountain War Time on July 16, 1945. The 19 kiloton explosion not only
- led to a quick end to the war in the Pacific but also ushered the
- world into the atomic age. All life on Earth has been touched by the
- event which took place here.
-
- The 51,500-acre area was declared a national historic landmark in
- 1975. The landmark includes base camp, where the scientists and
- support group lived; ground zero, where the bomb was placed for the
- explosion; and the McDonald ranch house, where the plutonium core to
- the bomb was assembled. On your visit to Trinity Site you will be
- able to see ground zero and the McDonald ranch house. In addition, on
- your drive into the Trinity Site area you will pass one of the old
- instrumentation bunkers which is beside the road just west of ground
- zero.
-
-
-
- The Manhattan Project
-
-
- The story of Trinity Site begins with the formation of the Manhattan
- Project in June 1942. The project was given overall responsibility of
- designing and building an atomic bomb. At the time it was a race to
- beat the Germans who, according to intelligence reports, were building
- their own atomic bomb.
-
- Under the Manhattan Project three large facilities were constructed.
- At Oak Ridge, Tenn., huge gas diffusion and electromagnetic process
- plants were built to separate uranium 235 from its more common form,
- uranium 238. Hanford, Wash. became the home for nuclear reactors
- which produced a new element called plutonium. Both uranium 235 and
- plutonium are fissionable and can be used to produce an atomic
- explosion.
-
- Los Alamos was established in northern New Mexico to design and build
- the bomb. At Los Alamos many of the greatest scientific minds of the
- day labored over the theory and actual construction of the device.
- The group was led by Dr. J. Robert Oppenheimer who is credited with
- being the driving force behind building a workable bomb by the end of
- the war.
-
-
-
- The Theory
-
-
- Los Alamos scientists devised two designs for an atomic bomb--one
- using the uranium and another using the plutonium. The uranium bomb
- was a simple design and scientists were confident it would work
- without testing. The plutonium bomb worked by compressing the
- plutonium into a critical mass which sustains a chain reaction. The
- compression of the plutonium ball was to be accomplished by
- surrounding it with lens-shaped charges of conventional explosives.
- They were designed to all explode at the same instant. The force is
- directed inward, thus smashing the plutonium from all sides.
-
- In an atomic explosion, a chain reaction picks up speed as atoms
- split, releasing neutrons plus great amounts of energy. The escaping
- neutrons strike and split more atoms, thus releasing still more
- neutrons and energy. In a nuclear explosion this all occurs in a
- millionth of a second with billions of atoms being split.
-
- Project leaders decided a test of the plutonium bomb was essential
- before it could be used as a weapon of war. From a list of eight
- sites in California, Texas, New Mexico and Colorado, Trinity Site was
- chosen as the test site. The area already was controlled by the
- government because it was part of the Alamogordo Bombing and Gunnery
- Range which was established in 1942. The secluded Jornado del Muerto
- was perfect as it provided isolation for secrecy and safety, but was
- still close to Los Alamos.
-
-
-
- Building a test site
-
-
- In the fall of 1944 soldiers started arriving at Trinity Site to
- prepare for the test. Marvin Davis and his military police unit
- arrived from Los Alamos at the site on Dec. 30, 1944. The unit set up
- security checkpoints around the area and had plans to use horses to
- ride patrol. According to Davis the distances were too great and they
- resorted to jeeps and trucks for transportation. The horses were
- sometimes used for polo, however. Davis said that Capt. Bush, base
- camp commander, somehow got the soldiers real polo equipment to play
- with but they preferred brooms and a soccer ball.
-
- Other recreation at the site included volleyball and hunting. Davis
- said Capt. Bush allowed the soldiers with experience to use the Army
- rifles to hunt deer and pronghorn. The meat was then cooked up in the
- mess hall. Leftovers went into soups which Davis said were excellent.
-
- Of course, some of the soldiers were from cities and unfamiliar with
- being outdoors a lot. Davis said he went to relieve a guard at the
- Mockingbird Gap post and the soldier told Davis he was surprised by
- the number of "crawdads" in the area considering it was so dry. Davis
- gave the young man a quick lesson on scorpions and warned him not to
- touch.
-
- Throughout 1945 other personnel arrived at Trinity Site to help
- prepare for the test. Carl Rudder was inducted into the Army on Jan.
- 26, 1945. He said he passed through four camps, took basic for two
- days and arrived at Trinity Site on Feb. 17. On arriving he was put
- in charge of what he called the "East Jesus and Socorro Light and
- Water Company." It was a one-man operation--himself. He was
- responsible for maintaining generators, wells, pumps and doing the
- power line work.
-
- A friend of Rudder's, Loren Bourg, had a similar experience. He was a
- fireman in civil life and ended up trained as a fireman for the Army.
- He worked as the station sergeant at Los Alamos before being sent to
- Trinity Site in April 1945. In a letter Bourg said, "I was sent down
- here to take over the fire prevention and fire department. Upon
- arrival I found I was the fire department, period."
-
- As the soldiers at Trinity Site settled in they became familiar with
- Socorro. They tried to use the water out of the ranch wells but found
- it so alkaline they couldn't drink it. In fact, they used Navy salt-
- water soap for bathing. They hauled drinking water from the fire
- house in Socorro. Gasoline and diesel was purchased from the Standard
- bulk plant in Socorro.
-
- According to Davis, they established a post office box, number 632, in
- Socorro so getting their mail was more convenient. The trips into
- town also offered them the chance to get their hair cut in a real
- barbershop. If they didn't use the shop, Sgt. Greyshock used horse
- clippers to trim their hair.
-
-
-
- Jumbo
-
-
- The bomb design to be used at Trinity Site actually involved two
- explosions. First there would be a conventional explosion involving
- the TNT and then, a fraction of a second later, the nuclear explosion,
- if a chain reaction was maintained. The scientists were sure the TNT
- would explode, but were initially unsure of the plutonium. If the
- chain reaction failed to occur, the TNT would blow the very rare and
- dangerous plutonium all over the countryside.
-
- Because of this possibility, Jumbo was designed and built. Originally
- it was 25 feet long, 10 feet in diameter and weighed 214 tons.
- Scientists were planning to put the bomb in this huge steel jug
- because it could contain the TNT explosion if the chain reaction
- failed to materialize. This would prevent the plutonium from being
- lost. If the explosion occurred as planned, Jumbo would be vaporized.
-
- Jumbo was brought to Pope, N.M., by rail and unloaded. A specially
- built trailer with 64 wheels was used to move Jumbo the 25 miles to
- Trinity Site.
-
- As confidence in the plutonium bomb design grew it was decided not to
- use Jumbo. Instead, it was placed in a steel tower about 800 yards
- from ground zero. The blast destroyed the tower, but Jumbo survived
- intact.
-
- Today Jumbo rests at the entrance to ground zero so all can see it.
- The ends are missing because, in 1946, the Army detonated eight 500-
- pound bombs inside it. Because Jumbo was standing on end, the bombs
- were stacked in the bottom and the asymmetry of the explosion blew the
- ends off.
-
- To calibrate the instruments which would be measuring the atomic
- explosion and to practice a countdown, the Manhattan scientists ran a
- simulated blast on May 7. They stacked 100 tons of TNT onto a 20-foot
- wooden platform just southeast of ground zero. Louis Hemplemann
- inserted a small amount of radioactive material from Hanford into
- tubes running through the stack of crates. The scientists hoped to
- get a feel for how the radiation might spread in the real test by
- analyzing this test. The explosion destroyed the platform, leaving a
- small crater with trace amounts of radiation in it.
-
-
-
- Bomb Assembly
-
-
- On July 12 the two hemispheres of plutonium were carried to the George
- McDonald ranch house just two miles from ground zero. At the house,
- Brig. Gen. Thomas Farrell, deputy to Maj. Gen. Leslie Groves, was
- asked to sign a receipt for the plutonium. Farrell later said, "I
- recall that I asked them if I was going to sign for it shouldn't I
- take it and handle it. So I took this heavy ball in my hand and I
- felt it growing warm, I got a certain sense of its hidden power. It
- wasn't a cold piece of metal, but it was really a piece of metal that
- seemed to be working inside. Then maybe for the first time I began to
- believe some of the fantastic tales the scientists had told about this
- nuclear power."
-
- At the McDonald ranch house the master bedroom had been turned into a
- clean room for the assembly of the bomb core. According to Robert
- Bacher, a member of the assembly team, they tried to use only tools
- and materials from a special kit. Several of these kits existed and
- some were already on their way to Tinian, the island in the Pacific
- which was the base for the bombers. The idea was to test the
- procedures and tools at Trinity as well as the bomb itself.
-
- At one minute past midnight on Friday, July 13, the explosive assembly
- left Los Alamos for Trinity Site. Later in the morning, assembly of
- the plutonium core began. According to Raemer Schreiber, Robert
- Bacher was the advisor and Marshall Holloway and Philip Morrison had
- overall responsibility. Louis Slotin, Boyce McDaniel and Cyril Smith
- were responsible for the mechanical assembly in the ranch house.
- Later Holloway was responsible for the mechanical assembly at the
- tower.
-
- In the afternoon of the 13th the core was taken to ground zero for
- insertion into the bomb mechanism.
-
- The bomb was assembled under the tower on July 13. The plutonium core
- was inserted into the device with some difficulty. On the first try
- it stuck. After letting the temperatures of the plutonium and casing
- equalize the core slid smoothly into place. Once the assembly was
- complete many of the men took a welcome relief and went swimming in
- the water tank east of the McDonald ranch house.
-
- The next morning the entire bomb was raised to the top of the 100 foot
- steel tower and placed in a small shelter. A crew then attached all
- the detonators and by 5 p.m. it was complete.
-
-
-
- The test
-
-
- Three observation points were established at 10,000 yards from ground
- zero. These were wooden shelters protected by concrete and earth.
- The south bunker served as the control center for the test. The
- automatic firing device was triggered from there as key men such as
- Dr. Robert Oppenheimer, head of Los Alamos, watched. None of the
- manned bunkers are left.
-
- Many scientists and support personnel, including Gen. Leslie Groves,
- head of the Manhattan Project, watched the explosion from base camp
- which was ten miles southwest of ground zero. All the buildings at
- base camp were removed after the test. Most visiting VIPs watched
- from Compania Hill, 20 miles northwest of ground zero.
-
- The test was scheduled for 4 a.m. July 16, but rain and lightning
- early that morning caused it to be postponed. The device could not be
- exploded under rainy conditions because rain and winds would increase
- the danger from radioactive fallout and interfere with observation of
- the test. At 4:45 a.m. the crucial weather report came through
- announcing calm to light winds with broken clouds for the following
- two hours.
-
- At 5:10 the countdown started and at 5:29:45 the device exploded
- successfully. To most observers the brilliance of the light from the
- explosion--watched through dark glasses--overshadowed the shock wave
- and sound that arrived later.
-
- Hans Bethe, one of the contributing scientists, wrote "it looked like
- a giant magnesium flare which kept on for what seemed a whole minute
- but was actually one or two seconds. The white ball grew and after a
- few seconds became clouded with dust whipped up by the explosion from
- the ground and rose and left behind a black trail of dust particles."
-
- Joe McKibben, another scientist, said, "We had a lot of flood lights
- on for taking movies of the control panel. When the bomb went off,
- the lights were drowned out by the big light coming in through the
- open door in the back."
-
- Others were impressed by the heat they immediately felt. Military
- policeman Davis said, "The heat was like opening up an oven door, even
- at 10 miles." Dr. Phillip Morrison said, "Suddenly, not only was
- there a bright light but where we were, 10 miles away, there was the
- heat of the sun on our faces....Then, only minutes later, the real sun
- rose and again you felt the same heat to the face from the sunrise.
- So we saw two sunrises."
-
-
-
- After the explosion
-
-
- Although no information on the test was released until after the
- atomic bomb was used as a weapon against Japan, people in New Mexico
- knew something had happened. The shock broke windows 120 miles away
- and was felt by many at least 160 miles away. Army officials simply
- stated that a munitions storage area had accidentally exploded at the
- Alamogordo Bombing Range.
-
- The explosion did not make much of a crater. Most eyewitnesses
- describe the area as more of a small depression instead of a crater.
- The heat of the blast did melt the desert sand and turn it into a
- green glassy substance. It was called Trinitite and can still be seen
- in the area. At one time Trinitite completely covered the depression
- made by the explosion. Afterwards the depression was filled and much
- of the Trinitite was taken away by the Nuclear Energy Commission.
-
- To the west of the monument is a low structure which is protecting an
- original portion of the crater area. Trinitite is visible through
- openings in the roof.
-
-
-
- It's the Schmidt house
-
-
- The George McDonald ranch house sits within an 85'x85' low stone wall.
- The house was built in 1913 by Franz Schmidt, a German immigrant, and
- an addition was constructed on the north side in the 1930's by the
- McDonalds. There is a display about the Schmidt family in the house
- during each open house.
-
- The ranch house is a one-story, 1,750 square-foot building. It is
- built of adobe which was plastered and painted. An ice house is
- located on the west side along with an underground cistern which
- stored rain water running off the roof. At one time the north
- addition contained a toilet and bathtub which drained into a septic
- tank northwest of the house.
-
- There is a large, divided water storage tank and a Chicago Aeromotor
- windmill east of the house. The scientists and support people used
- the north tank as a swimming pool during the long hot summer of 1945.
- South of the windmill are the remains of a bunkhouse and a barn which
- was part garage. Further to the east are corrals and holding pens.
- The buildings and fixtures east of the house have been stabilized to
- prevent further deterioration.
-
- The ranch was abandoned in 1942 when the Alamogordo Bombing and
- Gunnery Range took over the land to use in training World War II
- bombing crews. The house stood empty until the Manhattan Project
- support personnel arrived in early 1945.
-
- Inside the house the northeast room (the master bedroom) was
- designated the assembly room. Work benches and tables were installed.
- To keep dust and sand out of instruments and tools, the windows were
- covered with plastic. Tape was used to fasten the edges of the
- plastic and to seal doors and cracks in the walls.
-
- The explosion, only two miles away, did not significantly damage the
- house. Most of the windows were blown out, but the main structure was
- intact. Years of rain water dripping through holes in the roof did
- much more damage. The barn did not do as well. During the Trinity
- test the roof was bowed inward and some of the roofing was blown away.
- The roof has since collapsed.
-
- The house stood empty and deteriorating until 1982 when the U.S. Army
- stabilized the house to prevent any further damage. Shortly after,
- the Department of Energy and U.S. Army provided the funds for the
- National Park Service to completely restore the house. The work was
- done in 1984. All efforts were directed at making the house appear as
- it did on July 12, 1945.
-
-
-
- Afterwards
-
-
- The story of what happened at Trinity Site did not come to light until
- after the second atomic bomb was exploded over Hiroshima, Japan, on
- August 6. President Truman made the announcement that day. Three
- days later, August 9, the third atomic bomb devastated the city of
- Nagasaki, and on August 14 the Japanese surrendered.
-
- Trinity Site became part of what was then White Sands Proving Ground.
- The proving ground was established on July 9, 1945, as a test facility
- to investigate the new rocket technology emerging from World War II.
- The land, including Trinity Site and the old Alamogordo Bombing Range,
- came under the control of the new rocket and missile testing facility.
-
- Interest in Trinity Site was immediate. In September 1945 press tours
- to the site started. One of the famous photos of ground zero shows
- Robert Oppenheimer and General Leslie Groves surrounded by a small
- group of reporters as they examine one of the footings to the 100 foot
- tower on which the bomb was placed. That picture was taken Sept. 11.
- The exposed footing is still visible at ground zero. On Sept. 15-17,
- George Cremeens, a young radio reporter from KRNT in Des Moines,
- visited the site with soundman Frank Lagouri. They flew over the
- crater and interviewed Dr. Kenneth Bainbridge, Trinity test director,
- and Capt. Howard Bush, base camp commander.
-
- Back in Iowa, Cremeens created four 15-minute reports on his visit
- which aired Sept. 24, 26, 27 and 29. A 15-minute composite was made
- and aired on the ABC Radio Network. For his work Cremeens received a
- local Peabody Award for "Outstanding Reporting and Interpretation of
- the News."
-
- At first Trinity Site was encircled with a fence and radiation warning
- signs were posted. The site remained off-limits to military and
- civilian personnel of the proving ground and closed to the public.
-
- In 1952 the Atomic Energy Commission let a contract to clean up the
- site. Much of the Trinitite was scraped up and buried. In September
- 1953 about 650 people attended the first Trinity Site open house. A
- few years later a small group from Tularosa visited the site on an
- anniversary of the explosion to conduct a religious service and
- prayers for peace. Similar visits have been made annually in recent
- years on the first Saturday in October.
-
- In 1967 the inner oblong fence was added. In 1972 the corridor barbed
- wire fence which connects the outer fence to the inner one was
- completed. Jumbo was moved to the parking lot in 1979.
-
- Visits to the site are now made in April and October because it is
- generally so hot in July on the Jornada del Muerto.
-
-
-
- White Sands Missile Range
-
-
- White Sands Missile Range has developed from a simple desert testing
- site for the V-2 into one of the most sophisticated test facilities in
- the world. The mission of White Sands Missile Range begins with a
- customer--a service developer, or another federal agency, which is
- ready to find out if engineers and scientists have built something
- which will perform according to job specifications. It ends when an
- exhaustive series of tests has been completed and a data report has
- been delivered to the customer.
-
- Between the beginning and the end of the test program, be it the Army
- Tactical Missile System or newly designed automobiles, range employees
- are involved in every operation connected with the customer and his
- product. The range can and does provide everything from rat traps to
- telephones, from equipment hoists and flight safety to microsecond
- timing.
-
- We shake, rattle and roll the product, roast it, freeze it, subject it
- to nuclear radiation, dip it in salt water and roll it in the mud. We
- test its paint, bend its frame and find out what effect its propulsion
- material has on flora and fauna.
-
- In the end, if it's a missile, we fire it, record its performance and
- bring back the pieces for post mortem examination. All test data is
- reduced and the customer receives a full report.
-
- For more information on Trinity Site or White Sands Missile Range
- contact:
-
- Public Affairs Office (STEWS-PA)
- White Sands Missile Range
- White Sands Missile Range, N.M. 88002-5047
-
-
-
- Reading List
-
-
- The Day the Sun Rose Twice, by Ferenc Szasz, University of New Mexico
- Press, 1984.
-
- Manhattan: The Army and the Atomic Bomb, by Vincent Jones, Center of
- Military History, U. S. Army.
-
- Trinity, by Kenneth Bainbridge, Los Alamos publication (LA-6300-H).
-
- The Making of the Atomic Bomb, by Richard Rhodes, Simon and Schuster,
- 1986.
-
- Now It Can Be Told, by General Leslie Groves, Da Capo Press, 1975.
-
- Day One, By Peter Wyden, Simon and Schuster, 1984.
-
- City of Fire: Los Alamos and the Atomic Age, 1943-1945, by James
- Kunetka, University of New Mexico Press, 1978.
-
- Los Alamos 1943-1945: The Beginning of an Era, Los Alamos Publication
- (LASL-79-78).
-
- Day of Trinity, by Lansing Lamont, Atheneum.
-
- Radiological Survey and Evaluation of the Fallout Area from the
- Trinity Test: Chupadera Mesa and White Sands Missile Range, N. M., Los
- Alamos publication (LA-10256-MS).
-
- Life Magazine, August 20 and September 24, 1945.
-
- Time Magazine, August 13 and 20, 1945.
-
-
-
-
- End of this Project Gutenberg Etext of Trinity [Atomic Test] Site
-
-
-
-
-