home *** CD-ROM | disk | FTP | other *** search
/ Frozen Fish 2: PC / frozenfish_august_1995.bin / bbs / d07xx / d0770.lha / Uedit / Jenkins.LZH / EWDemoFile < prev    next >
Text File  |  1992-01-06  |  5KB  |  89 lines

1. Robert A. Jenkins, Ph.D.
  2. 22901 Shagbark Lane
  3. Miller Woods, Illinois 60411
  4. (708) 758-7063
  6. Monday Aug 5, 1991
  8. Dear Rick:
  10. You dirty rat!  Just as I was begining to think that my configuration was
  11. about done and I could stop fixing things and enjoy using it you had to go and
  12. add all those goodies.  And you want me to test it too....  I will do my best
  13. to help.
  15. I hope that you did as I suggested and just plugged the disk in and booted.
  16. If you do it that way you see my idea of how Uedit should be distributed.  We
  17. are talking about absolute minimum difficulty in getting access to the tool.
  18. All that is needed is permission from Commodore to distribute a disk with half
  19. a dozen of the DOS commands.
  21. I have just prepared this disk with what I have, in whatever state it is in,
  22. in the hope that some of it such as the CL stack and my hyper commands will
  23. save you some work.  And I hope that some of the rest of my work will give you
  24. some ideas.  I don't suppose that it is likely that I will persuade you to
  25. change your standard configuration to my EasyWriter configuration since mine
  26. may well seem quite awkward to you after all these years of using yours.  I
  27. started to write it primarily because I was disgusted with WordPerfect, but as
  28. I worked on the ideas I found myself coming up with a configuration that I
  29. find is a lot easier to work with than your standard.
  31. I have incorporated virtually all of the standard commands into my
  32. configuration so that it is a complete editor and as powerful as your std one.
  33. But I built it around a different core of editing commands.  Take a look at my
  34. config!F which handles files, config!E which handles editing, and config!H
  35. which handles help.  Most of the rest is just about the same as your stuff,
  36. though some of the key assignments have been changed.  And my approach to the
  37. menu organization is significantly different.
  39. Once I got the configuration working fairly well I focused my attention on the
  40. problem of making Uedit accessible to the beginner.  I had my wife in mind.
  41. She loves working with her Tandy 1100FD laptop, but absolutely will not look
  42. at a manual.  And the help stuff that comes with DeskMate is pure crap.  She
  43. tried it once and that was it.  I have not yet tried this configuration on her
  44. but I know it is a vastly more accessible editor than anything I have seen.
  45. So I started to think about the possibility of creating this demo disk.  I
  46. intended it to be a shareware disk that could be given away with every Amiga.
  47. It would be a vastly superior editor to what comes with the Amiga, and it
  48. would have an AmigaDOS stack which would help people to write scripts and use
  49. the CLI.  I have not written that stack.
  51. I have a draft of a paper on wordprocessor design which I will try to get
  52. published in BYTE.  The basic idea is just a description of EasyWriter and the
  53. suggestion that you can try it out, just download the Uedit-EasyWriter package.
  55. My intention was to send you a copy to review with the possible impact on your
  56. ability to earn a living from Uedit in mind.  And then we could talk about how
  57. you might like to try to distribute it.  I know it is a touchy proposition
  58. because dealers basically cannot be trusted.  They have a powerful incentive
  59. to give away your work in order to enhance their income.
  61. This disk is not shareware, it just looks like a stripped down version.  I had
  62. to take out a lot of stuff in order to fit in the CommandLanguage stack for
  63. you.  That of course would not go out on a shareware disk.  And it has the
  64. the 2.7beta in place of UES so it will run my configuration.  I just set this
  65. one up for you this way so that you could see how it would look.  And I wanted
  66. to get it to you quickly before you duplicate the effort I put into creating a
  67. CL stack.  I am not entirely pleased with the CL stack but just doing the
  68. basics took many hours.
  70. I have integrated the s27errata file into my CommandLanguage stack.  I am not
  71. entirely pleased with the organization, but basically it works.
  73. I have not integrated your changes into my configuration, which is included on
  74. a separate disk.
  76. I will now look into using your new commands, especially the gosub and define
  77. stuff and let you know if I run into any trouble.  There are several commands
  78. that would profit a lot.
  80. Now that your config is so much more powerful it is likely that we will be
  81. writing larger commands that will be used less often.  I think it would be a
  82. good idea to extend the language with saveCmnd(keyName,pathName) and
  83. loadCmnd(keyName,pathName).  Parallel to saveLearn, loadLearn, but we cannot
  84. edit learns so that is not very powerful.  For example, I have a modula
  85. structure analysis command that is quite large.  If it were convenient to load
  86. it into, say ctl-q, I would be happy to not have it on the menu, and just load
  87. it as needed.
  89. Bob