home *** CD-ROM | disk | FTP | other *** search
/ Frozen Fish 2: PC / frozenfish_august_1995.bin / bbs / d03xx / d0320.lha / AmiOmega / amiga-omega.readme < prev    next >
Text File  |  1990-02-14  |  3KB  |  70 lines

1. Amiga Omega Ver. 1.0
  3. After seeing omega on a UNIX machine, I though that it would be great to have
  4. it on the amiga, however no one had done a port, so I basically used up my 
  5. vacation in order to port (an play) it.  In order to port it I had to 
  6. implement some of curses (a text windowing system from UNIX), since I had no 
  7. docs I reverse  engineered it, thus there are some error that I could easily 
  8. fix if I had some actual curses documentation (and some time) such as the 
  9. cursor problem.  Also I freely admit right now that: The display is slow, 
  10. this is because optimizing the display is kind of tricky, (and the amiga's 
  11. Text() function is not  a speed demon either) I have some optimization in 
  12. right now (basically it checks a byte map of the screen before drawing the 
  13. characters), but refreshes are still pretty costly when the display doesn't 
  14. change much, so movement is slow.  
  16. Hardware requirements:
  17. An amiga with a least 1MB of memory (more is better omega eats memory very
  18. quickly), it can be run off of 1 floppy, but a HD is a lot faster also
  19. save files are large (130K at least), so have another blank disk to save games.
  22. Bugs:
  23. 1> The Display is Slow
  24. 2> Every window displays a cursor (I don't know what flag curses uses for this)
  25. 3> Inventory refreshes strangely, (I think due to something in curses)
  26. 4> Highscore table isn't working.
  27. 5> There is a tendancy to hang when going down dungeon levels ( I think that 
  28. this may be a problem with memory fragmentation, because saving and rebooting 
  29. clears it up)
  30. 6> Omega is a memory hog, I think it can be run in 1MB, but that's pushing it
  31. you would have to save before going down each level of the dungeon
  32. (I've had no trouble plaing it with 2.5MB)
  33. 7> The I/O uses a busy wait, I know that this is terrible for a multi-tasking
  34. machine, but I kept getting behind on the input without a wait statement...
  35. 8> The display occasionally prints a line from the character attributes at the
  36. top of the screen.
  37. 9> For some reason the handling of '\n's for the data files was messed up, so
  38. all the data files (.dat) had to be trimmed.
  39. 11> It won't overwrite the .omegarc.
  40. 12> For some reason, when you go to the order of Paladins, the guards will
  41. sometimes attack you, I don't have a good explaination for this, as I didn't
  42. change any of code that should affect monster behavior...
  44. Basically those are the bugs I have found, however
  45. I was able to finish most all of the quests (I'm still working on some), and
  46. I did manage to become an adept.
  48. Legal Stuff etc.
  49. As per the original omega licencing, and
  50. my work is to be considered freely copyable, so you can copy/use the program
  51. to your heart's content without paying me a dime. However, if you would like
  52. to see some of those (plus the others that I'm sure will be discovered down the
  53. road) fixed, then sending donations is a way that you can encourage me to do 
  54. so.  Also if you donate $15 or more I will mail you (be sure to have a return 
  55. address) any further updates, so you don't have to download or buy any PD 
  56. software disks to get the update. As a college student my free time is kind 
  57. of limited, so if I don't get any donations then it says to me that people 
  58. don't really want to see any further work on it, so I'll do something else 
  59. with my free time. In any case 
  60. Send any comments/donations to:
  62. Rick Golembiewski
  63. 1825 Taper Dr.
  64. Pittsburgh Pa 15241
  66. or 
  68. Email to: rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu