Subject: Re: Q: how to make home PC an internet node?
From: [email-masked] (Doug Sewell)
Date: 17 Jan 91 03:47:46 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.misc

(note: this followup is only going to comp.misc)
A couple of ideas:
1. If I was running 2400-baud or less, I wouldn't run TCP/IP, I'd
   settle for UUCP.
   MS-DOS based programs for usenet news and e-mail are Waffle, fsuucp,
   and the soon-to-be-released fsbbs (I believe it's in beta).
   Waffle is a multiple-user system that can be configured as a bbs, or
   with separate user-names for husband/wife/each kid/etc.  I believe
   FSBBS has the same facilities.  FSUUCP is more single-user oriented,
   based on the docs I've read.  I'm looking into setting up Waffle.
   For more information, look in alt.bbs or alt.bbs.waffle.

2. To run TCP from home, you'll probably want to run some type of dial-up
   IP connection.  There are several MS-DOS TCP software packages that
   can use FTP Software's packet driver interface - KA9Q is probably
   what I'd pick for home use.  You need a 'packet driver' that speaks
   a protocol you can use - there's one for SLIP (serial-line IP) that
   will run with KA9Q.  PPP is a more-sophisticated dial-up protocol -
   I don't know much about it - and I don't know if there's a MS-DOS
   packet driver for it yet.  Check comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc for
   more information.

3. You need a site to connect to.  Sometimes universities or employers
   will offer this to you for free or a reasonable price.  Sites on the
   'nixpub' public-access unix lists may be able to set you up with a
   UUCP newsfeed/mail.

4. The easiest way to get a domain-name is to get one in the .us
   domain - there's no charge, you can fill out the application by
   e-mail.  You need to know what configuration you're using (TCP or
   UUCP) and have it somewhat-working before you can answer the
   questions.  I don't remember where you can ftp the information
   from, but if nothing else you can e-mail Ann Westine ([email-masked])
   and ask for information - Ann is the domain-coordinator for the .us
   domain.

   If your connection is uucp, you can go with the more-traditional
   7-or-less-characters.uucp site name.  In this case, your entry
   should go into the UUCP maps.

   The Waffle docs talk about getting a UUCP connection.  Some of the
   ideas would be equally applicable for TCP connections.

5. USR HST modems are not particularly good for UUCP use.  The Telebit
   Trailblazer seems to be the "standard" modem for high-speed UUCP
   connections.  I probably would choose a V.32 modem of some sorts,
   but all of this is based on discussions in alt.bbs.

Most of the software is available via anon FTP from wuarchive.wustl.edu -
look in /mirrors/msdos/bbs for waffle, /mirrors/msdos/uucp for fsuucp,
and /mirrors/msdos/ka9q-tcpip (I think - I'm doing this all from memory).

Hope this helps.

--
Doug Sewell, Tech Support, Computer Center,         [email-masked]
Youngstown State University, Youngstown,  OH 44555  [email-masked]
Blessed are the pessimists, for they have made backups.