Subject: EDFILE
From: Frank Wancho
To: All
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 84 16:39:40 EST

I *gotta* tell you about this program.  Late yesterday afternoon I was
testing a mod to one of my programs that apparently went into never-never
land (on the hard disk).  When I rebooted, it appeared as though almost
all my files on the A: drive had vanished.  Since I run the hard disk
under TurboDOS, DU couldn't help me, especially since the directory is
"hashed".

Well, I called Ron Fowler (in a panic - it sure is depressing to loose all
that work, especially since I'm not one who takes time out to run a backup). 
He had this program he recently found on their RCP/M called EDFILE.  It
turns out to be a super DU-like program that works on files, a sector at
a time!  Since you can reference the TurboDOS directory as if it were a
file named $.DIR, I was able to eventually repair the directory and get
all my files back!

What's different about EDFILE is that it has a screen-edit mode that
lets you edit either side of the HEX+ASCII display.  It doesn't have the
macro nor track/sector addressability capabilities of DU, but it sure
does complement DU for file manipulation!

--Frank