Subject: Re: MiscKit summary and proposal - CVS, make, and install

From: [email-masked] (Ernest Prabhakar)
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1993 11:06:44 -0700

Scott Anguish wrote:
> An EXCELLENT utility contribution would be for someone to write
> a front end for CVS for NEXTSTEP, then we could use it in the
> development of the kit, and it could be adopted as part of the
> kit as well.

Well, I wrote a free little TickleService which serves as a pretty  
decent front-end to CVS.  TickleService itself is shareware, not  
freeware, but BOY is it worth the price!!!

The main drawback is that CVS has its own ideas about directories, and  
'.nib' directories then get screwed up by CVS.  There is a  
makefile.{pre,post}amble (I'm not sure which) that can handle those,  
which is on the net somewhere.

This brings up the point that we may want a standard makefile which  
will work with all the different libraries and palletes, especially if  
we start breaking things up into subdirectories. I think NeXT handles  
all the build and install stuff pretty well, but I'm not sure if it can  
handle multiple subdirectories.

I wrote something for generic make which does some of that (builds  
recurisively through subdirectories), which I would be willing to  
donate/adapt.  But first, I think, we should check if NeXT's standard  
makefiles - plus Installer.app - can do everything we need:
 = building libraries and exceutables
 = installing those, and headers, in the appopriate place
but it also would be nice to have
 = runnings test to verify things were built/installed properly
 = building a distributable package from the master source tree
and things like that.

Perhaps once Don gets MiscKit cleaned up, it would be worthwhie to put  
together a combination of CVS, make, and Install that would take care  
of that.  Such a tool - if written properly - could be as valuable a  
part of the Kit to developers as anything else in it.  I might be able  
to put some work into that, once people decide what is needed.

- Ernie P.

---

From: John Jay Feiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1993 19:38:31 -0700

Ernest Prabhakar wrote:
>  The main drawback is that CVS has its own ideas about
>  directories, and '.nib' directories then get screwed up
>  by CVS.  There is a makefile.{pre,post}amble (I'm not
>  sure which) that can handle those, which is on the net
>  somewhere.

Even better, there's a palette which, when loaded into IB, will not  
screw with the CVS directory in the .nib directory.  I was working on  
my own version, but someone else posted something along the same idea  
to the net recently (I saw it on orst )

	John

---
John Feiler                             [email-masked]
4926 152nd St. SW                       NeXTmail Welcome!!!
Edmonds, WA  98026-4433      Independent NeXTSTEP Developer