Subject: MiscString

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1993 17:27:00 -0400

>The string class stuff currently in the MiscKit looks nice,
>but I think I'd like to see it broken up into a small heirarchy
>of classes.  For instance, a constant-and-unique string class
>would be nice.  I have a memory-efficient and moderately fast
>one (that actually protects the memory the strings are in,
>unlike the unique strings created with NXUniqueString())
>that I could donate to the MiscKit, and/or incorporate into
>such a heirarchy.
>

 Hmm....  Don was wondering about this recently, too.  The .m
file is getting pretty big, and isn't likely to get smaller - 

or even stay the same size - in the future.  The problem with
doing some subclassing (MiscFileString was Don's example,
I think) is that if you want to use a method from one subclass
of MiscString and one from another, well, it gets difficult.  

Personally, I prefer to have as much flexibility at hand as
possible.
  Don also suggested another tactic:  Make a streamlined string
superclass and have the main string class be a subclass of
that.  That way, someone doesn't have to include all those
methods if not needed.  In other words, a linear progression of
subclasses maybe, but not parallel.  But the more files, the 

more complicated.

  Another possibility is splitting up the .m file into 

components to make them more manageable, but again it means
more files.  I'm not sure if it's possible to decide which
sections get included or not.... if so, that is another possiblity -
allow the programmer to decide which sections of code they want
want to bring in.

  If it has to be split up, though, I like the streamlined
superclass idea best...

Carl

---
+---------------------------------------------------+
|Carl Lindberg           Colgate University  '94    |
[email-masked]                          |
[email-masked]                       |
[email-masked]    (NeXTMail welcome)  |
+---------------------------------------------------+