Subject: External files & allowable contributions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1993 16:11:36 -0500

[email-masked] (Don Yacktman) writes:
> (3)  What should be allowed as a contribution to the kit? [...]
> (4)  What do you have that you'd like to include in the kit? [...]

Don discusses the MiscKit in terms of a library against which an
application can be linked.  This kind of implies that MiscKit
objects are self-contained in some way; that they do not make use
of external files (e.g., nib files, tiff files).

How do classes which require or simply make use of such things get
incorporated into the Misc Kit?  Should they be included in the
MiscKit? (a shame if it were that restrictive, I think) How are
the external files packaged with the Kit and made available to
developers conveniently to be incorporated?

One possibility: "self-contained" classes get added to the library,
classes that need outside files should be presented in the form of
a self-contained bundle (two possibilities here: the class code is
to be dynamically loaded from the bundle, or the bundle just contains
the auxiliary files needed and the class is in the library).

Thoughts anyone?

Christopher Kane
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Yacktman)
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1993 16:11:52 -0600

Another possibility, one I hope to do with my gamekit:

Provide a directory in either ~/Library or /LocalLibrary called,
say, "MiscKit" which contains any "extras", perhaps in subdirectories
if you like.  Then, a developer using the kit can either provide
their own custom version inside the app wrapper (to override) or
use the standard .nib.  One advantage of this is that you only need
to keep one copy in a given filesystem...

Well, it's another idea, anyway.

Gotta run,
-don