Subject: Making objects distributable

From: Jon Kutemeier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1993 10:48:10 -0500

One thing I've noticed so far, and have found to be of great help,
is that the objects in the misc kit have the encodeUsing:, decodeUsing:,
and encodeRemotelFor:freeAfterEncoding:isBycopy: methods to allow them
to be used in Distributed Objects. I'd like to see most of the utility
type objects (non-interface objects) have the capability to be distributed,
by copy if necessary. It's sort of like asking each object to have read:
and write: methods.

Any thoughts?

-Jon

---

From: [email-masked] (Don Yacktman)
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1993 12:05:41 -0600

> to be used in Distributed Objects.

This is, of course, no accident.  I use these objects for DO type stuff
a lot, and so...

> I'd like to see most of the utility

Yep.  I agree.  Where possible, DO and -read:/-write: methods should be
implemented.  It's a big help and something that is really needed in
order to use the objects to their full capacities.  Being able to send
stuff bycopy is a great way to wrap up packets of data for transmission
between apps... so, I concur that these methods ought to be present in
most cases.  (For some objects, it wouldn't be useful, but most non-
interface objects ought to be DO-ready.)  Of course, seeing as I'm the
one who put the DO methods in there in the first place, my position
on this shouldn't be any sort of surprise. :-)

Later,
-don