Subject: Licensing & copyright

From: Marc Millier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1993 06:45:22 -0700

I guess I will be the first to open this particular can of worms.

Here is a open copyright notice we have used in the past:

Copyright 199* by <Author>, <city,state>
                        All Rights Reserved

Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its 

documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted, 

provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that
both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in 

supporting documentation, and that the name of <author>
not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution 

of the software without specific, written prior permission.  

<AUTHOR> DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE, INCLUDING
ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS, IN NO EVENT SHALL
<AUTHOR> BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR
ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS,
WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION,
ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS
SOFTWARE.

Any comments?

(oh, is there such a thing as a Copyrighted Copyright Notice?)

-marc