Subject: expr, command line expression evaluator
From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 Dec 90 10:05:27 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc

This is actually a clone of "expr" from unix to minix, written by Peter
Housel. It runs fine under MSDOS with no changes, and I am posting it
here (source and binary) with his permission.  It is useful in
combination with the setenv utility I just posted.  

4DOS 3+ can do most of the environment variable  manipulation that
expr might be used for via the variable functions, but the regular
expression matching cannot easily be performed any other way.  With
command.com, expr provides a way to perform numeric and string
manipulations on environment variables.  Regular expression matching
and extraction of substrings are permitted, as well as arithmetic
manipulation of numeric valued variables.

There is no man page, - pretty much any version of unix expr(1) should
describe it. 

Richard Brittain,                   School of Elect. Eng.,  Upson Hall   
                                    Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853
ARPA: [email-masked]	
UUCP: {uunet,uw-beaver,rochester,cmcl2}!cornell!calvin!richard