AmigaActive (1880/2249)

From:Neil Ives
Date:24 Jul 2000 at 07:46:45
Subject:Re: v92 Modems

Hi Tudor

On 19-Jul-00, you wrote:

>> well, whatever the result, you'll still be looking at 64k max. and crappy
>> old BT copper lines that stop your modem working at its proper rate.
>
> Actully, old copper lines are not the problem. The problem is aluminium
> lines. Years ago, BT were able to buy aluminium cable cheaper than copper

No, thats not right. GPO telephones (BT) were forced to buy cables using aluminium as a conductor when
Rhodesia, (presumably the main source of raw aluminium at that time) declared UDI in about 1968(?).
The GPO must have been unhappy about it, its properties were known to be less than perfect even
then.

> So endeth another Telecoms thread...

Not quite

Regards

Neil Ives

Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord

37. If my trusted lieutenant tells me my Legions of Terror are losing a
battle, I will believe him. After all, he's my trusted lieutenant.