AmigaActive (1867/2249)

From:Matt Sealey
Date:24 Jul 2000 at 20:39:52
Subject:Re: Executive Update

Hello Andy

On 24-Jul-00, you wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Matt Sealey wrote:
>>
>> I'm still looking for concrete evidence of Tao's JTE being 22x (or even 22%)
>> faster than "other Java". I have IBM's benchmarks to hand. Where are Tao's?
>> The ones at http://amigasdk.zingo.org don't exactly impress...
>
> Didn't impress? Around 15-50 times faster? Pretty impressive, isn't it?

No, as you explain below.

> Ok, so that's compared to Netscape on Linux. Compare it to Netscape on
> Win98, and it's not quite as impressive, and hardly relevant anyway. If
> the SDK ran on Windows, then there'd be something to compare it to fairly
> there.

Java is cross platform. 22x faster than Java should mean 22x faster than
Java as a whole, not Java on Netscape for Linux, the slowest Java implementation,
exclusively. As it happens, if you're used to the dog slow Java of Windows, then
you're in for a treat when you use the SDK, 'cos it's SLOWER.

Unless you deal entirely in string manipulation (unlikely)...

Thanks

Matt Sealey <matt@kittycat.co.uk>
Website http://www.kittycat.co.uk