AmigaActive (1612/2249)

From:Neil Bothwick
Date:20 Jul 2000 at 22:15:30
Subject:Re: Scanquix5 CD

Joseph Duchatelet said,

> On 20-Jul-00, Neil Bothwick wrote:

>>It's a CD-Recordable,
>>CD-Rs are less reflective than production CDs

>>Is it quite old?
> It is a Toshiba XM-5401B/S 4x from 1995
> Is this considered 'old'. Does it have a 'low energy' laser ?

It is quite old, although not as old as the Sony unit in my A2000.
CDROMs were lower power then., because they didn't have to read CD-Rs.
CD-Rs were very expensive and only used for mastering, not for
production.

Then there's been the five years of usage, gradually reducing the power
of the laser.

>> Finally, accumulated dirt on the lens can absorb a
>>significant proportion of what's left.

>>A lens cleaner may help.

> Is this done same way as for floppies (cleaning 'CD') ?

Yes. Do you smoke? If so, a CD cleaner is likely to make quite a
difference.

Neil

Neil Bothwick - New Media Editor, Amiga Active Magazine
Connected via Wirenet - http://www.wire.net.uk
The UK's first Amiga-only internet access provider
---
Windows 3.2 will be released when 3.1 finishes loading.