AmigaActive (1580/2249)

From:Neil Bothwick
Date:20 Jul 2000 at 15:30:12
Subject:Re: Scanquix5 CD

Joseph Duchatelet said,

> I bought the Scanquix5 CD.
> It comes with a blue coating. First time i have one.

It's a CD-Recordable, often called a "gold" CD even though most of them
are blue or silver now.

> I can not read the CD
> fully. I get messages 'the volume has a read/write error'. I looked at it
> with CacheCDFS as well as with AsimCDFS. Same problem. My son in law has no
> problem reading it.

CD-Rs are less reflective than production CDs, a CDROM with a lower
power laser may fail to read it.

> - is my CD Rom reader less sensitive ?

Is it quite old? Older drives have less powerful lasers, the lasers also
lose power with age. Finally, accumulated dirt on the lens can absorb a
significant proportion of what's left.

> - Has anybody experienced this ( & maybe solved it ) ?

A lens cleaner may help.

> - Does anybody know if RBM can be reached by e-mail ?
> (I see only one non informative page on their site www.rbm.de, did i miss a
> button ?)

There's one marked "Kontakt" on the left. Making a wild guess at the
translation of this, I followed it to find an email address, info@rbm.de

Neil

Neil Bothwick - New Media Editor, Amiga Active Magazine
Connected via Wirenet - http://www.wire.net.uk
The UK's first Amiga-only internet access provider
---
All right, set phasers to deep fat fry!