AmigaActive (1372/2249)

From:Alan Buxey
Date:18 Jul 2000 at 17:37:26
Subject:Re: Porting MySQL database engine to AmigaOS for 68K/PPC systems

hi,

> Nonsense. If you have Apache installed (which is what this discussion was
> about) and there is some sort of bug in Apache allowing buffer overflows
> (which was the hypothetical suggestion with which I started this branch of
> the discussion) then you can execute arbitrary code on the Amiga. This
> code could be used to bind a shell to a port or countless other things. If
> you're going to enter a discussion, then please at least read the previous
> messages so you have some idea of wwhat's going on.

you are mixing up unix problems with that of the Amiga. you have buffer
overflows on the Amiga and 10/10 times the program crashes out completely or
the machine reboots. if you did manage to get to a situation where you can
run arbitary code, then you'd have to have AmigaOS code ready to run...if
not already somehow magically put onto the Amiga itself.

alan