AmigaActive (1369/2249)

From:Paul Hill
Date:18 Jul 2000 at 13:56:55
Subject:Re: Digital Cameras (Kindof OT)

Mark Sayers wrote:
> Hello Paul
>
> On 18-Jul-00, you wrote:
>
> > Wouldn't a PCMCIA adapter work with the Flash cards? They again I
> > think this would only work with 4Mb or smaller cards. No use to me
> > either - I've got a A4000.
>
> At the danger of repeating myself I have, fitted a SCSI bussed PCMCIA
> reader/writer to my 2000, this with a PCMCIA smartmedia adapter (flash
> adapters work too) allows me to download the pictures very fast,
> without using the camera at all.

Cool. How do the flash cards appear? As MSDOS formatted devices?

Personally I'm not too bothered about the speed (hey, I'm still using a 50Mhz
machine :-). It would be nice if my camera supported speeds higher than
115200 though!

> As Neil says they cost about £200 new but I have some for about £50
> (in transit UPS), if you have a PC it would be as well to use a USB
> reader, but if like me you only have an Amiga then it is a workable
> alternative. Not very cheap I know but very much more convenient.

I only own an Amiga and an old 486 laptop. The laptop has PCMCIA slots but
that still means I'd have to get the jpegs onto my Amiga.

Paul