AmigaActive (1314/2249)

From:Alan Buxey
Date:18 Jul 2000 at 11:14:00
Subject:Re: Porting MySQL database engine to AmigaOS for 68K/PPC systems

hi,

> I have a QNX Realtime Platform preview CD here. It doesn't suck at all for doing
> quite a few things. I'll tell you now, Quake 3 doesn't half fly on it. Porting MySQL
> to it would be, frankly, a peice of piss. Same goes for Elate, if the POSIX
> layer is anything like as complete as it needs to be (and QNX Neutrino's is)

its all good and well talking about QNX....but Amiga Inc. have chosen
TOAS/Elate - is there even any plan for QNX to run on Amiga hardware anymore?
if not, then why bother talking about it - as it'll still mean having to go
out and buy a new platform.

> Because it CAN be done is NO REASON that it SHOULD be done. The topmost
> worst thing that 'Amigans' do that I hate with a passion is WASTING TIME
> AND EFFORT doing stuff that has no benefit for anyone, either real or
> perceived.

most Amiga coders I know like the challenge..the 'it cant be done' factor
has to be overcome. eg Quake on an 030. its useless to try playing it..but
every said it couldnt be done..it was.

> Contrary to popular beleif, most programmers don't just port software just
> to see if it can be done. They do it because they need it. MySQL already works
> on a boatload of different platforms, and in it's most common incarnation as
> a component of a webserver it is better suited on a platform that is actually
> slightly secure ;)

two points.

1) if you dont have any of the platforms MySQL runs on?
2) What could be more secure than a single user AmigaOS? :-)

> > I personally think MySQL would be cool, more so if someone ported PHP to
> > AmigaOS as well. Might bother seeting up Apache on my machine then.
>
> You ain't gonna get a PHP port to AmigaOS.

yeah, right :-)

> Doing it through some kind of Loyalty To One's Fellow Amigan is totally
> misplaced, IMO.

...so exactly why do you hang around here then?

alan