AmigaActive (1138/2249)

From:Neil Bothwick
Date:16 Jul 2000 at 11:50:01
Subject:Re: Emergency Boot disks

Don Cox said,

> On 15-Jul-00, Neil Bothwick wrote:

>>> What about the case where the hard drive has died totally and you
>>> need to install a new one,
>>
>> Run HDToolBox from a copy of your original WB disks. Or use the
>> Emergency floppy to boot from the OS 3.5 CD. But yes, something like
>> HDToolbox should work straight from the early-startup shell.

> The HDToolbox on WB 3.1 won't handle current disk sizes. Yes, I suppose
> you could set up just the first partition - and you could just forget
> about 3.5 and make a set with CGFX squeezed onto the 3.1 WB disk or
> install disk. There are several possible strategies.

Most of the work done by HDToolBox is handled by a library now, so it
should be possible to write a 100% compatible replacement using any GUI
system you like, including the console. AmiFdisk anyone?

> The key point is that AmigaOS has now bloated up to be too big for a
> floppy, which is a pity.

I don't see that as a problem in general, but HD recovery should be
possible without a hard drive.

>>> or you buy a cheap A1200 and want to put a 9 Gig
>>> drive in it?

>> That's a completely different scenario to the one under discussion.

> Not really. The situation I have in mind when you would need a floppy is
> when you have neither hard drive nor CD working, and want to build up
> from scratch. These things do happen.

But buying a new drive is hardly an emergency...

> The CD drive would be one of the last things I would connect when
> assembling a computer.

If I could boot from it, it would be one of the first things I'd
connect.

Neil

Neil Bothwick - New Media Editor, Amiga Active Magazine
Connected via Wirenet - http://www.wire.net.uk
The UK's first Amiga-only internet access provider
---
The early bird gets the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese.