AmigaActive (1541/2143)

From:Andrew Korn
Date:23 May 2000 at 21:03:20
Subject:Re: 4Q + D = E

Marco Saupe said:

> On my K6-2 500 (128MB) 4 instances of Winquake at the same time
> (window mode, 320x256) run at 12 fps each (none of the Quake windows
> is selected).

That sounds roughly comparable speed. However, remember these points:

1. Quake is the toughest kind of program for Elate. It doesn't lend itself to
Elate's tool binding tricks well, so isn't going to be as efficient as many
other types of program, or a similar program written specifically for Elate.

2. This is a totally unoptimised port, roughly hacked together for a laugh by
one of the Tao team.

3. This isn't running natively, but running hosted on Linux, which is meant
to incur about a 30% speed penalty.

4. The whole thing is being rendered to an X-window.

In other words, as I say in the article, there's not a lot you can really
conclude from this test except that it looks pretty promising.

Cheers,

Andrew Korn.

Editor, Amiga Active Magazine
editor@amigactive.com | http://www.amigactive.com