AmigaActive (1281/2143)

From:Jonathan Drain
Date:17 May 2000 at 11:19:40
Subject:Ah, the good old days...

I was looking through old issues of CU Amiga while rearranging my bedroom
furniture. Flicking through the old magazines, I stopped to look at the
Quake issue, March 98.

I've always noticed, especially in web design, that when I'm looking for
ideas, I often go back over stuff from a while back, and see how my
ramblings from the past apply to things today. I decided to read through the
magazine, for no apparent reason.

Firstly, I noticed that my Powered by Amiga sticker is hidden inside the
magazine. I wonder how much those things are worth today as collectors
items?

Next, on page 27, an article about the future of the Amiga and an
announcement that the NG machine would be 68k/PPC. Hehe. Back to page 27
though, and the "Welcome to Workbench 4.0" box... there are some nifty
things here that I wouldn't mind seeing on my desktop. The menu bars down
the right-hand side are very kewl indeed. Alas, they're only mock-ups (I
assume?) but the way that there is a space between each of the buttons...
now that's neat.

The "Boing" appicon... sounds good, I'm in two minds about whether it's a
good idea to call it Boing or to stick with Multiview, but the concept of it
is excellent. I also like the bar on the left of windows to tell you how
much drivespace is left, at least I assume that's what they are - heaven
knows, Windows could use a feature like this.

NewIcons is a good idea for the icons, they're much nicer than those ugly PC
icons, although I'm still wondering why, if it's Workbench 4.0, your HD
partition is called System3.0.... ;)

I also can't believe that you expected the NG to use Topaz 8!? If anything,
NewTopaz is much nicer for an icon font. The configurable menu system is
very nifty too.

On to the Coming Attractions section... how many of those games have
actually made it to a release? Explorer 2260 is still under construction, as
is Gilbert Goodmate (AFAIK), but apart from Genetic Species and perhaps
Olofighter, I haven't seen any other of those games listed.

Um, that's all I wanted to say, I think.

Jonathan Drain - I'd explain it to you, but your head would explode.
Email: digital@ukonline.co.uk ICQ: 39945538
Visit my WEBSITE at: http://www.jonnydigital.co.uk

-- You know you are addicted to the Internet when...
#100 On Super Bowl Sunday, you followed the score by going to the Yahoo main
page instead of turning on the TV.

IT Professionals: Match your unique skills with the best IT projects at