AmigaActive (1220/2143)

From:Kevin Twyman
Date:15 May 2000 at 21:57:32
Subject:Re: Scanning Colour Slides

Hello Don,

On 15-May-00, you wrote:

>> Reversing the neg isn't a problem, most image manipulation packages
>> do it well. It's scanning it that causes problems. If you scan a
>> colour neg using ScanQuix then use "negative" on it, the colours
>> are all wrong.

> A photographic colour negative doesn't just have the "opposite"
> colours to the positive. It also has an orange-ish mask which
> adjusts the colours to better suit the response of colour print
> paper.

This is the problem - ScanQuix doesn't support converting such a mask.

> So simply reversing the colours with the usual Negative command in
> an image processing program will not give good results. You would
> need to do further processing.

This is exactly what we found.

> Black-and-white negs are OK. You may need to adjust the gamma, of
> course, or edit the curve if the software allows it.

Yes, that also confirms our tests. In fact, monochrome negs come out
very well, it's just the colour ones that cause problems.

Regards,

Kevin - Est. 1949 http://www.theboyz.freeserve.co.uk
A man with an Amiga A4000T CyberStormPPC 604e/233

Taglines are like cars.. Get a good one and someone nicks it!