Subject: queries O1.S9

From: [email-masked] (Peressi Elisa)
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 93 16:58:44 +0100

Dear TSQL group,

our contribution to the population of the benchmark with queries of
different classes follows. We apologize for answering so late, but
we are not so sure to have completely and properly understood the
benchmark taxonomy (so you may possibly disagree with our interpretation).
We are proposing five queries for class 01.S9 (Other,Element,Computed).

Comments are welcome. 

Best regards,
Angelo Montanari, Elisa Peressi, Barbara Pernici

[email-masked] / [email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked] / pernici@ipmel@.polimi.it

\documentstyle[11pt]{article}
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
% Latex template for queries
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\addtolength{\textwidth}{1.485in} \setlength{\oddsidemargin}{.1in}
\setlength{\evensidemargin}{.1in} \addtolength{\topmargin}{-.85in}
\addtolength{\textheight}{1.8in}

\long\def\comment#1{}

\long\def\query#1#2#3{\begin{verse} {\bf Query \no} {#1} \end{verse}
\begin{verse} {\bf Answer:} {#2} \end{verse} \begin{verse} {\bf
Category:} {#3} \end{verse}}

\newcounter{qnumber}
\newcounter{rnumber}[subsection]
\newcounter{gnumber}[subsubsection]
\newcommand{\no}{\setcounter{qnumber}{\value{subsection}}
\setcounter{rnumber}{\value{subsubsection}}\protect\refstepcounter{gnumber}
Q \protect\theqnumber.\protect\thernumber.\protect\thegnumber:}

\begin{document}

\section{Explicit-attribute Output}
\subsubsection{Class O1.S9 (Other, Element, Computed)}

\query{Find the names of departments that had a budget greater than \$90K
 during the period when Di managed them.}
{``Toy''.}
{(Projected, None) / (Containment, Element, Computed) / (=, Constant)
 (=, Constant) (=, Foreign)}

  \noindent {\it The employee with name Di has managed the Toy
department since 1/1/1982 and during that period the budget was always
greater than \$90K. The category ``(Containment, Element, Computed)''
indicates that a containment based predicates is used on element-valued
 arguments which are both derived from the valid-times of stored facts. 
The non-temporal selection predicates test for equality between the employee
 name and ``Di'', the equality between the same attribute and the foreign
 key of the Dept relation and the comparison between the department budget
 and the amount of \$120K.}

\query{Find Ed's salary during the periods he worked in the same
department as Di's.}
  {\$20K, \$30K, \$40K.}
  {(Projected, None) / (Containment, Element, Computed) / (=, Constant)
    (=, Single) (=, Constant)}

  \noindent {\it The second non-temporal selection predicate belonging
to the class ``(=, Single)'' test the
equality between the department of Ed and Di.}  

\query{Find the names of the departments which Ed worked in earning
\$40K.} 
  {``Toy'',``Book''.}
  {(Projected, None) / (Containment, Element, Computed) / (=, Constant)
    (=, Constant)}
 
\noindent {\it The predicates belonging to the class ``(=, Constant)''
indicate the selection of the employee Ed and test the equality between
his salary and the amount of \$40K.}

\query{Find Ed's name after he left the Toy department.}
  {``Edward''.}
  {(Projected, None) / (Ordering, Element, Computed) / (=, Constant) (=,
Constant)}

\noindent {\it An ordering based predicate is used to select the name of
employeee Ed with valid-time following the period he worked for the Toy
department.}

\query{Find Ed's skills when he worked in the Toy department.}
{``driving'',``filling'',``typing''.}
  {(Projected, None) / (Containment, Element, Computed) / (=, Constant)
(=, Foreign) (=, Constant)}

\noindent {\it The non-temporal predicate of the class ``(=, Constant)''
indicates the selection  of the employee with name Ed; ``(=, Foreign)''
indicates the selection of the skills of such employee and ``(=,
Constant)'' indicates the selection of the Toy department.}
\end{document}