Subject: Announcement.

From: "Christian S. Jensen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1993 09:22:52 +0200

Dear colleague,

We have now completed the two documents,

        o  A Consensus Glossary of Temporal Database Concepts, and

        o  A Consensus Test Suite of Temporal Database Queries.

These documents are available in .tex and .ps formats via anonymous
ftp from cs.arizona.edu where they may be found in the tsql directory
as "consGlos" and "testSuite" (a file, ER3.eps, goes with
testSuite.tex). A file, README, gives an overview of other related
documents also available in the tsql directory.

Both documents have multiple contributors. The glossary is built from
an earlier glossary. Over the last year, many members of the community
have made proposals for additions to the original glossary. These
proposals were discussed at the ARPA/NSF International Workshop on an
Infrastructure for Temporal Databases, held in Arlington, TX, this
summer. An editorial board was given the final responsibility of
preparing the glossary according to the input from the community. The
creation of the test suite was initiated in early March this year, and
a draft test suite was presented and subsequently discussed at the
workshop. Finally, an editor was made responsible for completing the
draft according to the input. Please see the documents for additional
details.

The preparation of a next release of the glossary will commence later
this fall. A document "nextGlos" (also available in the tsql
directory) with proposed glossary entries that did not make it into
the current release will serve as input to that activity.

Yours sincerely,

Glossary editorial board: C. S. Jensen, J. Clifford, R. Elmasri, 
                          S. K. Gadia, P. Hayes, S. Jajodia

Test suite editor:        C. S. Jensen