Subject: AAAI-94 Workshop on Spatial & Temporal Reasoning

From: Kia Makki <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 1994 23:48:23 -0800

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%
%                             CALL FOR PAPERS
%
%             AAAI-94 WORKSHOP ON SPATIAL AND TEMPORAL REASONING
%
%                            Seattle, Washington
%
%             During AAAI 94 Conference (July 31 - August 4)
%             
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

         The AAAI-94 Workshop on Spatial and Temporal Reasoning

AAAI and the organizers of the Workshop on Spatial and Temporal Reasoning
invite you to participate in a workshop examining the common
aspects of the theory and application of temporal and spatial models in a
spectrum of apparently disparate areas such as planning, robot control and
guidance, natural language understanding, assembly plant sequencing and
scheduling, temporal databases, and concurrent and distributed programming.
The workshop will bring together researchers sharing a common interest
in exploring spatial or temporal problems but from widely different
viewpoints emphasizing highly dynamic problem domains.
Researchers should submit papers representing current results, surveying
the interactions between two or more areas of spatial and temporal
research, or taking a position on proposed research directions that
can have significant impact on one or more of the relevant fields.
The organizers will favor contributions which span both spatial and
temporal; both theory and application; both distributed systems and AI;
or otherwise represent a synthesis of domains or techniques.

Topics

Suggested topic areas include, but are not limited to:

    0  Commonalties, differences, or integration of
              Spatial and temporal reasoning
              Temporal knowledge representation and reasoning
                    about concurrency.
              Spatial or temporal  ontologies.
              Spatial or temporal constraint satisfaction.
              Spatial or temporal beliefs and uncertainty.
              Qualitative and quantitative spatial and temporal reasoning.
    0  Extensions of the situation calculus.
    0  Expressiveness and other evaluations of logics for time and
           space.
    0  Propagation algorithms for spatio-temporal constraints and
           statistical analysis.
    0  Implementations of temporal and spatio-temporal logics.
    0  Temporal and active data bases and temporal expert systems.

Workshop Format

The workshop will be organized in a manner designed to maximize the
opportunity for interaction and exchange among the participants.  Using
a varied format of invited presentations, keynote address, panel, and
open discussion, participants are expected to become involved in the
discussion, potentially leading to new insights about the interfaces
between space and time, AI and Systems, and other related domains.

Attendance} :

Approximately 40 participants will be selected to attend the workshop,
contributing and participating in discussions.  Their papers will be
included in the Workshop Working Notes to be distributed; twelve will
be selected for actual presentation.  Participants will be
screened on the basis of reviews and relevance to the workshop goals.
As indicated in the foregoing Description, papers incorporating a
synthesis or spanning more than one traditional area will be favored;
a mix of views will be sought.

Submission Requirements

Papers should be sent to Frank Anger or Rasiah Loganantharaj,
whose complete addresses appear below.  Electronic submissions are solicited
in Tex, Latex, or PostScript format.  The work should fit on 4 to 8
single-spaced typewritten 8.5 x 11 inch pages in the form of extended
abstract or complete research, survey, or position paper.  All papers should
contain relevant bibliographic references.

     Submission Deadline : March 18, 1994.
     Notification Date   : April 8, 1994
     Final Date for camera-ready copies:   April 29, 1994.

Submit To : Frank D. Anger  or Rasiah Loganantharaj

Frank D. Anger                          Rasiah Loganantharaj
Dept. of Computer Science               Center for Adv. Computer Studies
Univ. of West Florida                   USL, Box 44330 
Pensacola, FL 32514  USA                Lafayette, LA  70504  USA 
(904) 474-3022; Fax: (904) 474-3129     (318) 231-5345; Fax: (318) 231-5791
                                                                            
[email-masked]             [email-masked]

Workshop Chairs: Frank D. Anger and Rasiah Loganantharaj

Workshop Committee

Tony Cohn             Hans W. Guesgen}      Gerard Ligozat
Univ. of Leeds        Univ. of Auckland     LIMSI/CNRS & Univ. Paris-Sud
[email-masked]   [email-masked]  [email-masked]   

Nikki Pissinou        Rita V. Rodriguez            Andre Trudel
CACS, USL             CS, Univ of W. Florida       Acadia Univ.  
[email-masked]  [email-masked]   [email-masked]