Subject: CFP: International Workshop on Temporal Databases (VLDB'95)

From: Uffe Kock Wiil <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 1994 10:52:46 +0100

A Postscript version of this call for papers may be obtained via
anonymous ftp from ftp.iesd.auc.dk where it is located in the
directory pub/conferences/TempDB95.

                        *Final Call For Papers*

              INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP ON TEMPORAL DATABASES

              In cooperation with The VLDB Endowment, Inc.

             Zurich, SWITZERLAND  --  September 17-18, 1995

  Supported by ARPA/NSF (pending), Aalborg University and ETH Zurich

The International Workshop  on Temporal Databases  will bring together
leading researchers and developers  in the field of temporal databases
to  discuss   the   state-of-the-art   in  research,  applications and
standards   in the  area,   and   to start  setting  future   research
directions.   The workshop comes   at a time  when recent, significant
advances in this  field  are poised  to have a   major impact  on  the
commercial  database products of the  near future, and  is intended to
serve  as a forum for  disseminating  research and  experience in this
rapidly  advancing   area.   Since the   workshop    will be held   in
cooperation  with The VLDB  Endowment, Inc.  and immediately following
VLDB'95   in Zurich,  participants   will be  able  to maximize  their
interchange   of experiences and    knowledge  among  researchers  and
practitioners across   the  entire  field of  database    research and
development.

SCOPE
-----

The  primary  focus of the workshop  is  on  new and original research
results   in    the    areas of  theoretical    foundations,   design,
implementation, and  applications of  temporal databases, as   well as
experience reports  from  application specialists  and  the commercial
community that describe lessons learned in the development, operation,
and  maintenance of actual  temporal database systems in practical and
innovative applications.  The goal  is to exchange research  ideas and
results which will not only contribute to the academic arena, but will
also benefit the commercial community in the near future and encourage
a dialog between practitioners and researchers.



Suggested topics  include, but are  not  limited to,  the following as
they relate to temporal databases:

o Temporal Data Models, including    o Distributed Temporal Databases
  Valid-Time, Transaction-Time,      o Query Optimization Techniques
  and Bitemporal Models              o Integration with Existing
o Semantics of Temporal Data           Commercial Products
o Temporal Query Languages           o Critical Evaluation of
o Spatio-Temporal Data Models          TSQL2/TSQL3 Proposals
  and Languages                      o Simulation and Modeling
o Temporally Active Data Models      o Knowledge-Based Systems
o Rule Processing in Temporally      o Decision Support 
  Active Databases                   o Knowledge Discovery
o Temporal Database Design           o Novel Applications in Business,         
o Real-time Databases                  Scientific, Medical, and Legal
o Concurrency Control and Recovery     Domains
o Reasoning with Temporal            o Requirements Analysis for
  Information                          Temporal Database Applications
o Imprecise Temporal Information     o Reports on Experience with    
                                       Real Applications

WORKSHOP FORMAT
---------------

The workshop will  be organized in  a manner designed to  maximize the
opportunity for interaction and  exchange among the participants.   It
will consist of paper  presentations and panels on recent developments
and   emerging    trends,  with   ample   time   allocated   for group
discussions. This format should  provide a forum for collaborations to
develop among   members  of the international  community   of temporal
database researchers and practitioners.  Attendance will be limited.



SUBMISSION
----------

Authors  are invited to  submit   original research contributions   or
experience reports in English.  Papers  should be double-spaced and no
longer  than 8,000 words  (roughly  twenty pages). Submissions will be
``double-blind''  reviewed, i.e.,   anonymously, and  should therefore
include    a  separate title  page   with   each  author's full  name,
affiliation, complete address where you can be reached the week of May
15, 1995, telephone  number, internet address  and, if  available, fax
number.    Notification and reviews   will be  communicated via email.
Submitters should indicate   in a cover  letter  their  willingness to
attend the workshop and present their paper.

Submitted papers  will  be refereed  by at least   three reviewers for
quality, correctness, originality and relevance.  Accepted papers will
be presented  at the Workshop and included  in  the proceedings, which
will appear  as a book in  the Workshops in Computing series published
by Springer-Verlag in collaboration with the British Computer Society.

Proposals for panels that  examine emerging, innovative,  or otherwise
provocative temporal  database issues are encouraged  as  well.  Panel
proposals should include a 1-2 page summary of the topic and the names
and affiliations of    3-4 panelists who   have made  a commitment  to
participate.    A mix of   industry  and  academic  panel members   is
recommended.

Five copies of a technical paper or panel proposal should be submitted
by Monday, March 20, 1995 to the program chair.

          James Clifford, Program Chair 
          International Workshop on Temporal Databases
          Department of Information Systems 
          Leonard N. Stern School of Business 
          New York University 
          44 West 4th Street, Suite 9-74
          New York, NY 10012-1126 
          USA

          E-mail: [email-masked] 
          Tel:    (212) 998-0803
          Fax:    (212) 995-4228  

We  encourage submission  of    papers  from both   the academic   and
industrial spheres.

IMPORTANT DATES
---------------

Paper and proposal submission:    March 20, 1995  (FIRM DEADLINE)
Notification of invitation:       May 15, 1995
Camera-ready copy due:            June 12, 1995
Workshop:                         September 17-18, 1995



For further information, or  in case of  questions, please contact the
General Chair:

          Christian S. Jensen
          E-mail: [email-masked]

Program Chair:  James Clifford, New York University, USA

Steering Committee: 
    Arie Segev (Chair), UC Berkeley & Lawrence Berkeley Lab, USA
    James Clifford, New York University, USA
    Christian S. Jensen, Aalborg University, DENMARK
    Tamer Ozsu, University of Alberta, CANADA
    Barbara Pernici, Politecnico di Milano, ITALY
    Niki Pissinou, University of Southwestern Louisiana, USA
    Richard T. Snodgrass, University of Arizona, USA

Program Committee : 
   Gad Ariav, Tel Aviv University, ISRAEL
   Jan Chomicki, Kansas State University, USA
   Albert Croker, Bernard M. Baruch College, CUNY, USA
   Ramez Elmasri, University of Texas, Arlington, USA
   Opher Etzion, Technion, ISRAEL
   Shashi K. Gadia, Iowa State University, USA
   Fabio Grandi, Universita di Bologna, ITALY
   Matthias Jarke, University of Aachen, GERMANY 
   Wolfgang Kafer, Daimler Benz, GERMANY 
   T. Y. Cliff Leung, IBM Santa Teresa Lab, USA
   David Lomet, DEC Cambridge Research Lab, USA
   Nikos A. Lorentzos, Agricultural Univ. of Athens, GREECE
   Inderpal Singh Mumick, Bell Laboratories, AT&T, USA
   Beng-Chin Ooi, National University of Singapore, SINGAPORE
   John F. Roddick, University of South Australia, AUSTRALIA
   Colette Rolland, Universite de Paris 1, FRANCE
   Ellen Rose, Massey University, NEW ZEALAND
   N. L. Sarda, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, INDIA
   Edward Sciore, Boston College, USA
   Abdullah Uz Tansel, Bernard M. Baruch College, CUNY, USA
   Babis Theodoulidis, University of Manchester, ENGLAND
   Vassilis J. Tsotras, Polytechnic University, USA
   Alexander Tuzhilin, New York University, USA

Finance Chair:
   Marianne Baudinet, University of Brussels, BELGIUM

Registration Chair:
   Andreas Steiner, ETH-Zurich, SWITZERLAND

Publicity Chair:
   Uffe K. Wiil, Aalborg University, DENMARK

Local Arrangements Chair:
   Robert Marti, ETH-Zurich, SWITZERLAND

Publications Chair: 
   Alexander Tuzhilin, New York University, USA

 /---------------------------------------------------------------\
| 	          Uffe Kock Wiil, Assistant Professor             |
|    Programming Systems Lab, Department of Computer Science      |
|  Aalborg University, Fr. Bajers Vej 7E, 9220 Aalborg, DENMARK   |
| Email: [email-masked], Phone: +45 98158522, Fax: +45 98158129 |
 \---------------------------------------------------------------/