Subject: request for temporal data

From: MH Saraee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 1994 15:24:57 GMT

Dear Sir / Madam:

I am doing my Ph.D at UMIST computation department. I am desperetly need some
temporal data to test my work. Would you please advise me on where and how I 
I could get temporal data. 

Thank you  so much for your help.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
MH  Saraee                            Tel: +44 61 200  3388       
Dept. of Computation, UMIST           Fax: +44 61 200  3324
P.O. Box 88                         email: [email-masked]
Manchester  M60  1QD
United Kingdom
================================================================================

---

From: "Rick Snodgrass" <rts>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 1994 10:12:02 MST

One source of temporal data is the Temporal Query Language Test Suite
(see below). Several papers have used synthetic data for performance
evaluation; one such paper is cited below.

Rick

@techreport     ( JENSEN93M,
key     =       "Jensen" ,
author  =       "Jensen (ed.), C.~S." ,
title   =       "A Consensus Test Suite of Temporal Database
Queries" ,
number  =       "R 93-2034" ,
institution=    "Department of Mathematics and Computer, Institute
for Electronic Systems" ,
address =       "Denmark" ,
year    =       "1993" ,
month   =       "nov" ,
pages   =       "45" ,
abstract=       "This document presents the temporal database
community with an sizable consensus test suite of temporal database
queries. The test suite is intended to be helpful when evaluating the
user-friendliness of temporal relational query languages. The test
suite consists of a database schema, an instance for the schema, and a
set of approximately 150 queries on this database. The queries are
classified according to a taxonomy, which is also included in the
document." ,
bibdate =       "Tue Nov 30 17:53:14 1993" ,
owner   =       "daisyc" ,
)

@inproceedings  ( SOO94,
key     =       "Soo et al." ,
author  =       "Soo, M. D. and Snodgrass, R. T. and Jensen, C. S." ,
title   =       "Efficient Evaluation of the Valid-Time Natural
Join" ,
booktitle=      "Proceedings of the International Conference on
Data Engineering" ,
pages   =       "282--292" ,
month   =       "feb" ,
year    =       "1994" ,
abstract=       "Joins are arguably the most important relational
operators. Poor implementations are tantamount to computing the
Cartesian product of the input relations. In a temporal database, the
problem is more acute for two reasons. First, conventional techniques
are designed for the optimization of joins with equality predicates,
rather than the inequality predicates prevalent in valid-time queries.
Second, the presence of temporally-varying data dramatically increases
the size of the database. These factors require new techniques to
efficiently evaluate valid-time joins. We address this need for
efficient join evaluation in databases supporting valid-time. A new
temporal-join algorithm based on tuple partitioning is introduced.
This algorithm avoids the quadratic cost of nested-loop evaluation
methods; it also avoids sorting. Performance comparisons between the
partition-based algorithm and other evaluation methods are provided.
While we focus on the important valid-time natural join, the
techniques presented are also applicable to other valid-time joins." ,
bibdate =       "Wed Sep 15 13:53:34 1993" ,
owner   =       "soo" ,
)