Subject: Re: Benchmark

From: Jim Clifford <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 93 10:34:47 EDT

I have no opinion one way or the other about the length of the
attribute and/or relation names, so will go along with the majority
consensus on this one.

However, my message about keys appears to have been misinterpreted.

I am definitely NOT in favor of treating Name and Dept as time
invariant keys -- I believe that this unfairly biases the benchmark to
tuple-time-stamped models. Insofar as there is any "definition" of the
concept of "key" in the proposal so far, it merely requires that the
attribute be a key in all snapshots derived from the historical
relation. I believe that there is (a) consensus on this notion
of a key, as well as (b) widespread confusion that this definitoin
requires the key attribute(s) to be time invariant --it does not.

--jim--

************************************************************************
Jim Clifford                                     [email-masked]
Associate Professor                              TEL: (212) 998-0803
Department of Information Systems                FAX: (212) 995-4228
Leonard N. Stern School of Business
New York University
Management Education Center
44 West 4th Street, Suite 9-74
New York, NY 10012-1126
************************************************************************