Subject: EDBT 94 Call for Papers

From: Matthias Jarke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1993 11:53:01 +0100 (MET)

=========================
                       EDBT 94   CALL FOR PAPERS
                       =========================

                 The Fourth International Conference on

                     EXTENDING DATABASE TECHNOLOGY

                              promoted by
                          The EDBT Foundation

                              sponsored by
                        British Computer Society
                 ESPRIT Network of Excellence IDOMENEUS

                           28 - 31 March 1994
                    St John's College, Cambridge, UK

Conference Themes
=================

With successful conferences in Venice (1988 and 1990) and in Vienna
(1992), EDBT has established itself as Europe's premier international
conference on databases.

EDBT 94 in Cambridge will provide a forum for the latest results in the
research, development and use of database technology, and will encourage
active interchange between all those involved in this field.

The UK has a strong database research community, leading international
technology suppliers, and it has many large commercial users of database
systems.  Their presence will ensure a high level of debate.

Major topics for the conference will include, but are not limited to:

 - Client-Server and open networked database systems

 - Distributed database techniques

 - Advanced transaction processing techniques

 - Object-Oriented, Deductive, and Active databases

 - Multimedia and hypermedia database systems

 - Advanced user interfaces for data manipulation

 - Databases and programming systems

 - Information resource dictionaries/repositories

 - Highly parallel database systems

 - Advanced database applications

 - Database implementation (query optimisation, integrity and security)

In addition to the presented papers, the conference will include panel
discussions, industrial sessions, and high quality tutorials by
internationally recognised speakers.  There will be an accompanying
exhibition.

Information for Authors
=======================

Five copies in English of an original, unpublished paper, limited to
5000 words, should be submitted before the 18th June 1993 to:

                   Matthias Jarke

                   RWTH-Aachen
                   Informatik V
                   Ahornstrasse 55
                   5100 Aachen
                   Germany

       E-mail: [email-masked]

Submitted papers must not be under consideration for publication
elsewhere during the review process.  The Conference Proceedings will be
edited and published by Springer-Verlag (in the Lecture Notes in
Computer Science series) and will be distributed at the conference.

                        Conference Organisation
                        =======================

Conference Chairman
-------------------
J Bubenko (SISU, Sweden)

Programme Committee
-------------------
M Jarke (RWTH Aachen) - Chairman

S Abiteboul (France)          	G Moerkotte (Germany)
M Agosti (Italy)                 	J Mylopoulos (Canada)
R Bayer (Germany)             	S Nishio (Japan)
E Bertino (Italy)                 	A Olive (Spain)
J Bocca (Chile/UK)              	M E Orlowska (Australia)
A Borgida (USA)                	M Papazoglou (Australia)
M Brodie (USA)                	A Pirotte (Belgium)
M Carey (USA)                  	A Reuter (Germany)
J Clifford (USA)                	R v.d Riet (Netherlands)
P Dadam (Germany)              	T Risch (Sweden)
M Freeston (Germany)      	C Rolland (France)
H P Frei (Switzerland)         	T Rose (Canada)
H Garcia-Molina (USA)    	H Schek (Switzerland)
G Gottlob (Austria)            	T Sellis (Greece)
P Gray (UK)                    	D Shasha (USA)
V Jagadish (USA)               	E Simon (France)
K G Jeffery (UK)              	A Solvberg (Norway)
L Kalininchenko (Russia)   	A Stogny (Ukraine)
H Kangassalo (Finland)       	M Stonebraker (USA)
M Lenzerini (Italy)             	K Subieta (Poland)
F Lochovsky (Hong Kong)  	B Thalheim (Germany)
P Loucopoulos (UK)           	Y Vassiliou (Greece)
L Mark (Denmark/USA)     	 J Widom (USA)
F Matthes (USA)                	J Zlatuska (Czechoslovakia)

Organising Committee
--------------------
K G Jeffery (SERC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory) - Chairman

A Duckworth (BCS)            		J Kennedy (Napier)
W A Gray (Cardiff)                 		K Moody (Cambridge)
M S Jackson (Wolverhampton)  	B J Read (SERC)
R G Johnson (Birkbeck)        		G Sharman (IBM)

Regional Co-ordinators
---------------
R Andersen (Norway)        		A Pirotte (Belgium)
R Carapuca (Portugal)         		F Plasil (Czechoslovakia)
J Fong (Hong Kong)             		S Sa (China)
J B Grimson (Ireland)        		F Saltor (Spain)
M Kersten (Netherlands)      		G Schlageter (Germany)
K-C Lee (Taiwan)              		D Shasha (USA)
M Leonard (Switzerland)      		C K Tan (Singapore)
B G Lundberg (Sweden)          	C Thanos (Italy)
S Nishio (Japan)               		L Tucherman (Brazil)
M E Orlowska (Australia)      	Y Vassiliou (Greece)

EDBT Foundation Consultants
---------------------------
S Ceri (Milan)                     J Schmidt (Hamburg)
M Missikoff (Rome)

*******************************************************************
*                                                                    						*
*                           IMPORTANT DATES                            				*
*                                                                      						*
*                  18 June 1993 - submission deadline                  				*
*             20 September 1993 - acceptance notification              			*
*               1 November 1993 - camera-ready copy due                			*
*                                                                      						*
*******************************************************************

Further Information
===================

The Chairman of the Organising Committee is

  Dr Keith G Jeffery
    SERC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
  E-mail: [email-masked]

For details of the conference or exhibition, please contact the
secretariat:

  Miss Anna Duckworth
    EDBT 94 Conference
  British Computer Society
  PO Box 1454
  Station Road
  SWINDON  SN1 1TG,  UK

  Telephone  (+44) 793 480269
  Facsimile  (+44) 793 480270

To ensure that you receive the Advance Programme and that you are able
to take advantage of early registration, please send your name and
address to the secretariat.  (You may alternatively notify the
Organising Committee Chairman by e-mail if you wish.)  Cambridge is a
popular tourist city so accommodation should be reserved in advance.

Organisations interested in taking part in the exhibition or an
industrial session, or in possible sponsorship of the conference or
social events are also invited to contact the organisers.

Conference Location
===================

Cambridge is Britain's leading scientific university.  It has a rich
history of innovation in many fields, including some of the earliest
work on the stored program computer, and is a centre for modern high
technology industry.  The city is set in beautiful countryside, and
contains some of Europe's finest university architecture in a unique
riverside setting facing "The Backs".

The conference and residential accommodation will be in St John's
College, which dates from the 16th century.  The college is situated on
both banks of the River Cam, connected by the famous "Bridge of Sighs"
which we have featured in our conference logo, and is well equipped with
all facilities.  Main sessions will be in the modern Fisher Building.

Cambridge is less than one hour from London by road or rail, and it has
excellent links with continental Europe.  Sea travellers may reach
Cambridge from the ferry ports at Felixstowe (66 miles), Harwich (87
miles) or Dover (122 miles).  Nearby international airports are Stansted
(24 miles), Heathrow (83 miles) or Gatwick (93 miles), all with good
coach, rail and motorway connections.  The opening of the Calais-Dover
tunnel adds another direct travel option for visitors from the
continent.

========================================================================

---------------------------------------------------------------