Subject: benchmark draft

From: "Rick Snodgrass" <rts>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1993 09:53:34 MST

Thanks for the quick responses, and also for the helpful suggestions.

It appears that there is consensus on trying to complete an initial
draft of the benchmark by the workshop on June 14.

Tamer and Shashi make the excellent suggestion of appendices to the
main prose, one per author, where points can be raised to be addressed
in the next version of the benchmark. That sounds like a good way to
handle this. (Note that the file pub/benchmark.mail, containing all
messages on the benchmark that have been sent to the mailing list, is
available via anaonymous ftp at cs.arizona.edu. Hence, no points are
lost.)

Gene, Sunil and Shashi request that benchmark queries be
proposed independent of the taxonomy, for the sake of diversity.
Shashi suggested that such queries also be placed in the appendices.
That's also an excellent idea.

Christian, could you set a deadline for receipt of latex source for
an author appendix to appear in the version distributed at the workshop?

However, it is still important to populate the taxonomy. Could each
author who is planning on writing queries for an appendix also volunteer
for 1 class, in an attempt to understand the taxonomy, both what it
does well and what it does poorly. We've already got about half the
classes covered, and 5 queries shouldn't be too time consuming.