Subject: TDB Workshop

From: Uffe Kock Wiil <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 23:19:45 +0200

======================================================================
		    GENERAL CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
======================================================================

              INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP ON TEMPORAL DATABASES

              In cooperation with The VLDB Endowment, Inc.

             Zurich, Switzerland  --  September 17-18, 1995

       Supported by ARPA/NSF, Aalborg University and ETH Zurich

       A Message from the General and Steering Committee Chairs
       --------------------------------------------------------

On behalf of the team of organizers, it  is our pleasure to invite you
to  participate in the  International  Workshop on Temporal Databases.
The workshop will  provide an exciting  forum for leading  researchers
and  practitioners to get  together to discuss the state-of-the-art in
research, applications,  and standards and  infrastructure in the area
of temporal  database management.  The  workshop comes  at a time when
recent, significant advances in this field are poised  to have a major
impact on the commercial database products of  the near future, and is
intended to serve as a forum for disseminating research and experience
in this rapidly advancing area. It is our hope that you will attend.

The  workshop will  be held in   cooperation with The VLDB  Endowment,
Inc., and  it immediately follows  VLDB'95 in Zurich.  This allows the
participants  to  maximize   their  interchange of     experiences and
knowledge among researchers  and practitioners across the entire field
of  database  research and  development.  In  addition to  featuring a
high-quality technical program, the workshop also includes a reception
on Saturday  evening, lunch  and dinner  on  Sunday, and  refreshments
throughout the workshop, all  covered by the  registration fee.   Last
but not least, both the proceedings, published by Springer-Verlag, and
a book on the TSQL2 Temporal Query Language are included.

To maintain a  true   workshop setting,  with  ample  opportunity  for
interaction and discussion, participation  has   been limited to   50.
Authors  of  accepted  papers  and  individuals helping   organize the
workshop (e.g., PC    members) have  been  given   a head  start    on
registration.  However,  with  the release of   this General  Call for
Participation, registration will proceed on a first-come, first-served
basis.

We hope to see you in Zurich in September.

Christian S. Jensen		Arie Segev
General Chair			Steering Committee Chair

PS. The workshop will maintain a web page, with up-to-date information
about the workshop, at "http://www.iesd.auc.dk/~kock/TempDB95/".

                           ================
			   WORKSHOP PROGRAM
			   ================

The workshop is preceded by an informal  welcome reception on Saturday
evening. The technical  program starts on Sunday  morning  and ends on
Monday afternoon.  During Sunday and Monday, a total of eight sessions
are scheduled, with two panels and  eighteen paper presentations.  The
preliminary workshop schedule is shown below.

Saturday, September 16

19.00 - 21.00   Informal Pre-Workshop Reception, including
                pre-registration

WORKSHOP DAY ONE: Sunday, September 17

 8.00 -  8.30   Registration
 8.30 - 10.15   Paper Session 1: Temporal and Spatio-Temporal Data Models

              * V. Brusoni, L. Console, B. Pernici, P. Terenziani (Italy) 
		Extending Temporal Relational Databases to Deal with
		Imprecise and Qualitative Temporal Information

      	      * C. Claramunt, M. Thiriault (Switzerland, Canada) 
                Managing Time in GIS: An Event-Oriented Approach

              * S. Abiteboul, L. Herr, J. van den Bussche (France)
                Temporal Connectives Versus Explicit Timestamps in
		Temporal Query Languages 

10.15 - 10.45   Break

10.45 - 12.30   Paper Session 2: Temporal Constraints
       
              * J. Wijsen (Belgium)
                Design of Temporal Relational Databases Based on
		Dynamic and Temporal Functional Dependencies

              * M. Gertz and U. W. Lipeck (Germany)
                "Temporal" Integrity Constraints in Temporal Databases

              * M. Koubarakis (England)
                Databases and Temporal Constraints: Semantics and
		Complexity 

12.30 - 14.00   Workshop Lunch

14.15 - 16.00   Paper Session 3: Critical Evaluations of TSQL2

              * I. Androutsopoulos, G.D. Ritchie, P. Thanisch (Scotland)
                Experience Using TSQL2 in a Natural Language Interface

              * W. Harris and W.A. Gray (England, Wales)
                Using Temporal Constructs in Temporal Databases

              * M. H. Bvhlen, C. S. Jensen, R. T. Snodgrass (USA, Denmark)
                Evaluating the Completeness of TSQL2

16.00 - 16.30   Break

16.30 - 17.30   Panel 1: Whither SQL3

                Moderator:
                R. T. Snodgrass, University of Arizona

                Panelists:
                J. Clifford, Stern School of Business, New York University
                U. Dayal, Hewlett-Packard Labs
                A. Segev, University of California, Berkeley

19.30 -         Dinner

WORKSHOP DAY DAY TWO: Monday, September 18

 8.30 - 10.15  Paper Session 4: Alternative Views on Temporal Data Models

             * C. Davies, B. Lazell, and L. Cooper (England)
               Time is Just Another Attribute --- Or At Least, Just
               Another Dimension 

             * J. Clifford, A. Croker, F. Grandi, A. Tuzhilin (USA, Italy)
               On Temporal Grouping

             * D. Schmidt, R. Marti, A. Kotz Dittrich, W. Dreyer
               (Switzerland) 
               Time Series, A Neglected Issue in Temporal Database
               Research? 

10.15 - 10.45  Break

10.45 - 12.30  Paper Session 5: Implementation Issues for Temporal DBMS's  

             * A. Kumar, V. J. Tsotras, C. Faloutsos (USA)
               Access Methods for Bi-Temporal Databases

             * C. Vassilakis, N. Lorentzos, P. Georgiadis (Greece)
               Transaction Support in a Temporal DBMS

             * C. De Castro, F. Grandi, M.R. Scalas (Italy)
               On Schema Versioning in Temporal Databases

12.30 - 13.45  Lunch (on your own)

14.00 - 15.45  Paper Session 6: Potpourri 

             * R. Hjelsvold, R. Midtstraum, O. Sandste (Norway)
               A Temporal Foundation of Video Databases

             * T. Y. C. Leung and H. Pirahesh (USA)
               Querying Historical Data in IBM DB2 C/S DBMS Using
               Recursive SQL 

             * I. Motakis and C. Zaniolo (USA)
               Composite Temporal Events in Active Databases: A Formal
               Semantics 

15.45 - 16.15  Break

16.15 - 18.15  Panel 2: The State-of-the-Art in Temporal Data Management: 
                        Perspectives from the Research and Financial
                        Applications Communities (and Workshop wrap-up) 

               Moderator:
               J. Clifford, Stern School of Business, New York University

               PART I: Current State of Temporal Data Management
                       Infrastructure 
               Panelists:
               C. S. Jensen, Aalborg University
               R. T. Snodgrass, University of Arizona
               M. H. Bvhlen, University of Arizona

               PART II: Current State of Temporal Data Management in
                        Financial Applications
               Panelists:
               H. Dewan, Morgan Stanley
               D. Schmidt, Union Bank of Switzerland
               TBA

		    ==============================
		    LOCATION AND TRAVEL DIRECTIONS
		    ==============================

Zurich, the largest   city     in Switzerland  with  about     400,000
inhabitants, is located on  the north side  of the Zurich Lake. Zurich
county  (in German, "Kanton")  has   about  1.1 million   inhabitants. 
Zurich's climate is mild, with temperatures ranging  between -10 and 5
degrees (Celsius) in January and 15 and 30 degrees in July.

The airport of  Zurich is a major international  hub and a destination 
for more than 150  airlines  from all over  the world.  Frequent train
connections   exist  between  Zurich and  many   European  cities.  In
addition, Zurich itself  is famous for  its convenient and comfortable
public transportation services.

Additional information about Zurich is available from the web page of
VLDB'95, "http://josef.ifi.unizh.ch/groups/dbtg/vldb95/zh.html".

The workshop will  be  held in the   Computer Science Building of  ETH
Zurich, close to the city center (room IFW A36).

The Workshop location and the VLDB'95 Conference location are only 2-3
km  apart,  making it quite convenient  for  participants  at both the
Workshop and  VLDB'95  to stay at  the  same hotel   during the entire
visit.

The  international Zurich-Kloten Airport   is situated just  11  km (7
miles), or ca.  10 minutes by  train (SBB) from  from the city center.
Trains for  the Zurich mainstation  (Zurich  Hauptbahnhof, Zurich  HB)
depart frequently from the airport train station.

The City of   Zurich Public   Transport  System ("VBZ    Zueri-Linie")
operates a  modern and comprehensive tram  and bus network.   To reach
the  workshop location  from the  main train station  in the center of
the city  (tram stop "Bahnhofstrasse"),  take tram 7  in the direction
"Bahnhof Stettbach"  and  get off  at  the  second stop,  "Haldenegg".
(Other tram lines which  stop at "Haldenegg"  are numbers 6,  10,  and
15.)  The Computer Science Building  of ETH (IFW) is a modern U-shaped
building located at  "Haldeneggsteig",  a narrow and steeply ascending
one-way street off the northern end of the "Haldenegg" junction.

Tickets (day cards, single tickets  for short or long distances)  must
be  obtained from one  of the ticket machines or  at a SBB desk before
you commence  your journey. They cannot be  purchased on the vehicles.
Tickets to get from the airport to the city center are CHF 5.10 (valid
for 2 hrs) and CHF 10.20  (valid for 24 hrs) and  can also be used for
trams and buses.

			=====================
			WORKSHOP ORGANIZATION
			=====================

General Chair:  Christian S. Jensen, Aalborg University, Denmark

Program Chair:  James Clifford, New York University, USA

Steering Committee: 
    Arie Segev (Chair), UC Berkeley & Lawrence Berkeley Lab, USA
    James Clifford, New York University, USA
    Christian S. Jensen, Aalborg University, Denmark
    Tamer Ozsu, University of Alberta, Canada
    Barbara Pernici, Politecnico di Milano, ITALY
    Niki Pissinou, University of Southwestern Louisiana, USA
    Richard T. Snodgrass, University of Arizona, USA

Program Committee : 
   Gad Ariav, Tel Aviv University, Israel
   Jan Chomicki, Kansas State University, USA
   Albert Croker, Bernard M. Baruch College, CUNY, USA
   Ramez Elmasri, University of Texas, Arlington, USA
   Opher Etzion, Technion, Israel
   Shashi K. Gadia, Iowa State University, USA
   Fabio Grandi, Universita di Bologna, Italy
   Matthias Jarke, University of Aachen, Germany 
   Wolfgang Kafer, Daimler Benz, Germany 
   T. Y. Cliff Leung, IBM Santa Teresa Lab, USA
   David Lomet, DEC Cambridge Research Lab, USA
   Nikos A. Lorentzos, Agricultural Univ. of Athens, Greece
   Inderpal Singh Mumick, Bell Laboratories, AT&T, USA
   Beng-Chin Ooi, National University of Singapore, Singapore
   John F. Roddick, University of South Australia, Australia
   Colette Rolland, Universite de Paris 1, France
   Ellen Rose, Massey University, New Zealand
   N. L. Sarda, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India
   Edward Sciore, Boston College, USA
   Abdullah Uz Tansel, Bernard M. Baruch College, CUNY, USA
   Babis Theodoulidis, University of Manchester, England
   Vassilis J. Tsotras, Polytechnic University, USA
   Alexander Tuzhilin, New York University, USA

Finance Chair:
   Marianne Baudinet, University of Brussels, Belgium

Registration Chair:
   Andreas Steiner, ETH Zurich, Switzerland

Publicity Chair:
   Uffe K. Wiil, Aalborg University, Denmark

Local Arrangements Chair:
   Robert Marti, ETH Zurich and Swiss Re, Switzerland

Publications Chair: 
   Alexander Tuzhilin, New York University, USA

			=====================
			WORKSHOP REGISTRATION
			=====================

The registration fee is CHF 265 until July 31.
After this date, the registration fee will be CHF 300.

This registration fee includes:

- workshop proceedings (published by Springer-Verlag),
- admission to all sessions,
- welcome reception on Saturday evening,
- lunch on Sunday,
- workshop dinner on Sunday evening,
- refreshments during the workshop,
- "The TSQL2 Temporal Query Language", R. T. Snodgrass (ed.), 
  Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1995, 664+xxv pages.

Note that you are requested to arrange  for your own health and travel
insurance.   The organizers  of the  1995   International Workshop  on
Temporal  Databases  will not accept  responsibility  for accidents or
damage  suffered by  participants and  accompanying persons, occurring
during or arising from the workshop.

Please complete the following form (TYPE or  PRINT) and return it with
your payment or proof of payment.

  INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP ON TEMPORAL DATABASES --- REGISTRATION FORM

Last Name:_____________________________ First Name:________________________

Title(Dr./Mr./Mrs./Ms./Prof.):_____________________________________________

Affiliation:_______________________________________________(For Name Badge)

Name to be written on Badge:_______________________________________________

Address:___________________________________________________________________

___________________________________________________________________________

___________________________________________________________________________

Country:___________________________________________________________________

Phone:__________________________________  Fax:_____________________________

Email:__________________________________

Additional meal vouchers
------------------------

______ additional tickets for the workshop dinner on Sunday evening
       (CHF 65.- each)

______ meal vouchers for lunch on Monday
       (CHF 10.- each)

Method of payment  (check one)
-----------------

+---+
|   |  Eurocard/MasterCard
+---+ 
|   |  VISA
+---+
       Cardholder's name as it appears on credit card:

       ____________________________________________________

       Card Number:     ___________________________________

       Expiration Date: ________

       Signature:__________________________________________

+---+
|   |  INTERNATIONAL BANK TRANSFER  to the following account
+---+
       Credit Suisse, Zurich
       Temporal Database Workshop 95 c/o R. Marti
       Account Number: 0879-100490-90

       Please make sure that no bank fees are charged to the receiver.

+---+
|   |  EURO CHEQUE
+---+
       payable to Temporal Database Workshop 95 c/o R. Marti

       Euro cheques must be drawn in CHF and may not exceed the limit.

+---+
|   |  BANK CHEQUE
+---+
       payable to Temporal Database Workshop 95 c/o R. Marti

       Cheque must be drawn on a Swiss Bank in CHF.
       No personal checks are accepted.

Total payment enclosed/sent:____________________________________

Please send by surface mail or fax the form to:

  INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP ON TEMPORAL DATABASES
  c/o Andreas Steiner
  Institut fuer Informationssysteme
  ETH-Zentrum
  CH-8092 Zuerich
  Switzerland

  Fax: +41 1 632 1172

Alternatively, send the completed workshop registration form by e-mail
to
  			[email-masked]
 
If  you have any further  questions regarding  registration, please do
not hesitate to contact us by fax or e-mail.

			 Cancellation Policy
			 -------------------

The workshop  registration   fee,  with a  5%   administration  charge
deducted, will be  refunded for cancellations  received before July 1,
1995.   Cancellations received more than 28  days  before the workshop 
and after July 1, 1995,  will require a  50% administration charge. No 
refunds will  be made  for  cancellations received  less than 28  days 
prior to the workshop.

			  =================
			  HOTEL RESERVATION
			  =================

NOTE: We suggest that people  attending both VLDB'95 and our  workshop
send their hotel reservations  to the official VLDB'95 organizer  (MCI
Travel) using  the  VLDB'95  registration form.   General  information
about VLDB'95 (including   registration information) is   available at
"http://josef.ifi.unizh.ch/groups/dbtg/vldb95/vldb95.html".

People attending only the International Workshop on Temporal Databases
are asked to   send their hotel   reservation  to the  Zurich  Tourist
Office, see below.

---------  H O T E L   R E S E R V A T I O N   F O R M  ---------------

Convention:  Temporal Database Workshop 95  at ETH Zurich
             September 17-18 1995

The figures in the top row are rates in CHF per room and night
(continental breakfast, service charges and taxes included)

===========================================================================
|             |         |         |         |         |         |         |
| ROOM        |  70-100 | 101-130 | 131-150 | 151-180 | 211-240 | 241-280 |
|             |         |         |         |         |         |         |
===========================================================================
|             |         |         |         |         |         |         |
| single      |         |   N/A   |   N/A   |   N/A   |   N/A   |   N/A   |
|             |         |         |         |         |         |         |
+-------------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
|             |         |         |         |         |         |         |
| single w    |   N/A   |         |         |         |         |         |
| bath/douche |         |         |         |         |         |         |
+-------------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
|             |         |         |         |         |         |         |
| double      |   N/A   |         |         |   N/A   |   N/A   |   N/A   |
|             |         |         |         |         |         |         |
+-------------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
|             |         |         |         |         |         |         |
| double w    |   N/A   |   N/A   |   N/A   |         |         |         |
| bath/douche |         |         |         |         |         |         |
===========================================================================

Please check desired category.  (N/A: not available)

Arrival Date __________ Time of Arrival ________ Departure Date ___________

Desired location __________________________________________________________

Surname ______________________________ Christian Name _____________________

Address ___________________________________________________________________

Phone ______________________________   Fax ________________________________

Date ______________________________   Signature ___________________________

Please send by surface mail or fax this form to:

  Verkehrsverein Zurich
  Hotel Reservation
  Postfach
  CH-8023 Zurich
  Switzerland

  Fax:    +41 1 212 0141

Alternatively, call +41 1 211 1131 to reserve your hotel room
directly.  (The phones are staffed by multi-lingual personnel.)

IMPORTANT: Please note the attribution of rooms cannot be guaranteed
for reservations received after June 30, 1995.

NOTE: For the desired location, we suggest writing "close to ETH
Zentrum".
---------------------------------------------------------------------------