Subject: Rick's question

From: "Christian S. Jensen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1993 10:50:43 +0200

I am in favor of continuing the current effort.

While it is regrettable that it is not possible to improve the already
finalized parts of the benchmark according to our recent insights, I
still think that the final outcome will be a valuable contribution.
For one thing, the next benchmark may benefit from all the insights.
In addition, I believe that the benchmark itself will have the very
desirable qualities mentioned in its introduction. In an effort with
as many partners as here, coordination based on firm deadlines is
necessary. That is the price we pay when we participate in a
collaborative consensus effort like this.

Best regards,
Christian S. Jensen
[email-masked]

---

From: Tamer Ozsu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1993 08:41:06 -0600

> collaborative consensus effort like this.

One way to deal with all the new ideas about the parts of this
document that are now closed for discussion is to record them
separately now and append them to the document as appendix as issues
to be dealt with in the next release of the benchmark. I agree with
Christian that these are going to be valuable in the next release, but
they have to be recorded somewhere.

== Tamer
____________________________________________________________________________
M. Tamer Ozsu				Internet: [email-masked]	
Department of Computing Science		Tel: (403) 492-2860
University of Alberta			Fax: (403) 492-1071
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2H1