Subject: Nandlal's classification scheme

From: "Rick Snodgrass" <rts>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1993 16:29:20 MST

I think that Nandlal's classification scheme has a lot going for it.
The user's point of view has the advantage that certain types of
queries that are expected to be more frequent than others can be
emphasized.

I had a difficult time understanding the classification scheme, perhaps
in part because the explanation was necessarily short. There is at
most a sentence or two on each of the portions of the scheme.

It also is apparent that this classification scheme, while related in
some ways to Christian's proposal, is also a quite different approach
to organize queries. So my question is, is the proposed scheme (1) an
addition to, (2) a modification of, or (3) a replacement for the
existing strawman proposal?

If (1) or (2), could Nandlal modify the strawman proposal,
incorporating his recommended additions/modifications, and post a new
proposed classification scheme? If (3), could Nandlal write it up, to
the level of specificity and detail of the existing strawman taxonomy
proposal, so that the community could decide between them? Finally, it
would be very helpful if Nandlal could provide an approximate time
frame for doing so. Much work needs to be done on the step following
the taxonomy in the next six weeks, and we need to move beyond the
taxonomy very shortly. (Of course, after the workshop there will be
the opportunity to start on the second version of the benchmark,
addressing things like aggregates; at that time we could also address
improvements to the taxonomy.