Subject: benchmark and glossary

From: "Rick Snodgrass" <rts>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1993 09:27:21 MST

The tsql directory in the anonymous FTP area of cs.arizona.edu now
contains the following files.

File			Contents
____			________

proposal.dvi,.ps,.tex	Initial proposal for a consensus effort by the
				research community to design a temporal
				extension to SQL

benchmark.mail		mail on [email-masked] relevant to the
				TSQL benchmark effort
bmT123.dvi,.ps,.tex	May 10 version of the benchmark, containing
				tasks 1-3
benchmark.dvi,.ps,.tex	June 11 version of the benchmark, for
				presentation at the temporal DB workshop

fastIO			source code for very efficient conversion
				between unpacked and packed timestamp
				representations

fcfp.dvi,.ps,.tex	Final Call for Papers for the ARPA/NSF
				International Workshop on an
				Infrastructure for Temporal Databases

glossary.mail		mail on [email-masked] relevant to the
				TSQL glossary effort
glossary.dvi,.ps,.tex	Glossary of terms relevant to temporal
				databases; published in September, 1992 SIGMOD
				RECORD
statusDec92.dvi,.ps,.tex  December 1992 version of the glossary
statusMar93.dvi,.ps,.tex  March 1993 version of the glossary
wsGlossary.dvi,.ps,.tex	  May 1993 version of the glossary; contains
				all concepts defined to date
wsGlossaryAdd.dvi,.ps,.tex June 10 addendum of the glossary, for
				presentation at the temporal DB workshop

Copies of the June 11 benchmark and the June 10 glossary addendum will
be distributed at the workshop.

Also of potential interest are the bibliographic files in the bib
directory in the FTP area.

database.bib	bibliographic file containing entries relevant to
			database management systems, maintained by
			Richard Snodgrass, University of Arizona.
time.bib	bibliographic file containing entries relevant
			to temporal DBMS's, currently maintained by
			Nick Kline, University of Arizona.
bib-cite.tar.Z	bibliographic database management software
spacetime.bib	bibliographic file containing entries that
			simultaneously address space and time, currently
			maintained by Khaled Al-Tara, Louisiana State
			University.
spacetime.ps	a postscript file of a bibliography that appeared in
			the March, 1993 issue of SIGMOD Record.
incomplete.bib  incomplete information in databases bibliography,
			currently maintained by Curtis Dyreson,
			University of Arizona.
incomplete.ps   (ps version of incomplete database documente)
incomplete.tex  (has postscript drawings, so is incomplete as is)

The bibliographic files are in "bib" format, which can be used with
the Scribe formatting program, or indirectly with *roff, tex, and
latex via the cite filter. "bib" format files may also be used
directly with bibtex in the LaTeX system. "refer" format files may
converted to "bib" format through refconvert. Finally, the
bibliographic files may be managed, search, and modified through
bibdb. Source and man pages for these programs, as well as some 22
bibliographic databases (including database.bib and time.bib)
containing over 6000 entries, are located in bib-cite.tar.Z, which
should be transferred in binary mode with ftp and subsequently
uncompressed and untared, using the Unix commands

	uncompress bib-cite.tar.Z | tar xf -

This software is entirely in the public domain. We make it available
as is, and do not provide support. See the top-level ReadMe file for
authorship information and conditions on its use.

The time.bib file contains all of the entries published in

McKenzie, E. Bibliography: Temporal Databases, ACM SIGMOD Record, 15,
No. 4, Dec. 1986, pp. 40-52.

Stam, R. and R. Snodgrass, A Bibliography on Temporal Databases, Database
Engineering, 7, No. 4, Dec. 1988, pp. 231-239.

Soo. M. Bibliography on Temporal Databases. ACM SIGMOD Record, 20, No.
1, March, 1991.

as well as many of the entries in

Bolour, A., T.L. Anderson, L.J. Dekeyser, and H.K.T. Wong. The Role of
Time in Information Processing: A Survey. SIGART Newsletter, 80, Apr.
1982, pp. 28-48.

We would appreciate receiving corrections and additions to time.bib
and corrections to database.bib; please send them to

	[email-masked]

The spacetime.bib contains all of the entries published in

Al-Tara, K.K., R. Snodgrass, and M. Soo, Bibliography on
Spatiotemporal Databases, ACM SIGMOD Record, 22, No. 1, March, 1993

as well as the additional entries in

Al-Tara, K.K., R. Snodgrass, and M.D. Soo, "A Bibliography on
Spatiotemporal Databases," to appear in the International
Journal of Geographic Information Systems, 1993, 9 pages.

Please send corrections and additions to spacetime.bib to

	[email-masked]