Subject: Help on TSQL.

From: [email-masked] (Joao Salgueiro (aluno de Joao Bento))
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 1996 10:15:36 +0100

Hi.

I'm a Student of Geographic Information Systems Master Course in Lisbon, Portuga
l and I would like to know, in broad terms, what is TSQL and what the relation
with temporal Data Bases. It's possible to use TSQL in Temporal Geographic Information
 Systems ?

Thanks

Joao Salgueiro
Lisbon, Portugal

e-mail : [email-masked]

---

From: Rick Snodgrass <rts>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 13:56:17 -0700

Joao,
	TSQL2 is a consensus temporal query language designed by a committee
of 18 prominent temporal database academicians, research lab members, and
industrial users. It is described in the book 

Snodgrass, R.T., editor, {\it The TSQL2 Temporal Query Language}, Kluwer
Academic Publishers, 1995, 674+xxiv pages. The TSQL2 Language Design
Committee consisted of Richard Snodgrass (chair), Ilsoo Ahn, Gad Ariav, Don
Batory, James Clifford, Curtis E.~Dyreson, Ramez Elmasri, Fabio Grandi,
Christian S.~Jensen, Wolfgang K\"{a}fer, Nick Kline, Krishna Kulkarni,
T.~Y.~Cliff Leung, Nikos Lorentzos, John F.~Roddick, Arie Segev, Michael
D.~Soo and Suryanarayana M.~Sripada, ISBN number 0-7923-9614-6.

TSQL2 does not support spatial databases directly. However, there is an
effort to add the temporal constructs from TSQL2 to SQL3 in SQL/Temporal,
and to add spatial constructs to SQL3 in SQL/Multimedia.

Richard Snodgrass		Internet: [email-masked]
Associate Professor		PH:   (520) 621-6370
Department of Computer Science	FAX:  (520) 621-4246
University of Arizona		Tucson, AZ 85721-0077