Subject: Request for contributions

From: "Christian S. Jensen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1993 22:23:42 +0200

Subject: Request for contributions.
To: tdbglossary
From: [email-masked]

In a previous message, I described the general structure of the
glossary that was defined by the board based on the feedback at the
workshop and input from individual contributors. That structure is now
frozen and the final document will only be allowed to deviate slightly
from it.

In this message, I again outline the structure. Then, the
recommendation of the editorial board for distributing glossary
entries among three sections (Section 3, 4, and 5) in the glossary is
presented. Your input is now solicited. Please send proposals for
concrete changes to the distribution to [email-masked] by
Friday, August 13, 1993.

Over the next two weeks, we will also attempt to consolidate primarily
the entries in Sections 3 and 4. Note that the template for glossary
entries has now been changed and includes an optional part,
"Explanation." Consolidation includes adding explanation parts to
entries, clarifying definitions, proposing revised definitions, etc.
Your input is requested. To be considered, proposals for changes must
in principle be formulated as complete glossary entries (the template
may be found below), and it should be indicated which entry each
proposed entry supersedes. Initial proposals should be sent to
[email-masked] by Friday, August 13, 1993. Recall that the
deadline for completion of the full document is 10 days later.

			********************
			*Glossary structure*
			********************

  Title: A Consensus Glossary of Temporal Database Concepts
  Authors (affiliations in a footnote)
  Abstract
1 Introduction
2 Relevance and Evaluation Criteria for the Glossary
	2.1 Relevance Criteria for Concepts
	2.2 Evaluation Criteria for Naming Concepts
	2.3 Structure of the Glossary
3 Concepts of General Database Interest
4 Concepts of General Temporal Database Interest
5 Concepts of Specialized Interest
  Index

Commments:

o Each name of a concept that appears in the glossary will be printed
in a special font to indicate that an entry exists for the name. The
entry may be found via the index.

o Section 1 will describe the history of the glossary, give an
overview of the glossary effort, define the purpose of the glossary
and briefly outline the structure of the glossary.

o Section 2.3 will describe the use of the criteria in Sections 3 and
4 and it will describe the template of the glossary entries (see
below).

o Sections 3, 4, and 5 will consist of sequences of glossary entries.
Each entry will have this format:

\entry{<the name of the concept>}

\part{Definition}

	<the definition of the concept>

\part{Explanation}

	<further exploration of the definition and its consequences;
	 illustrative examples; this section is optional>

\part{Previously Used Names}

	<list of previously used names>

\part{Discussion of Naming}

	<why the current name was chosen>

*********************************************************************
*The editorial board's recommendation for categorization of concepts*
*********************************************************************

Numbers refer to sections in the glossary (2.1 - 2.68 and 3.1 - 3.15)
and addendum (1.1 - 1.17) that appeared in the workshop proceedings.
These documents may also be obtained via anonymous ftp from
cs.arizona.edu where they may be found in the tsql directory.

3 Concepts of General Database Interest

2.1 - 2.16, 2.18 - 2.20, 2.24 - 2.26, 2.49 - 2.51, 2.58, 1.4, 1.5,
1.7, 1.8

4 Concepts of General Temporal Database Interest

2.17, 2.21 - 2.23, 2.27 - 2.48, 2.52 - 2.57, 2.59 - 2.61, 3.2, 3.7,
3.8, 3.11, 3.15, 1.1, 1.6, 1.11, 1.16, 1.17

5 Concepts of Specialized Interest

2.62 - 2.68, 3.1, 3.3 - 3.6, 3,9 3.10, 3.12 - 3.14, 1.9, 1.10, 1.12 -
1.15