Subject: DSZ Feb. 16 version now available from Simtel20
From: Keith Petersen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1989 11:41 MST

I just obtained the latest version of DSZ from Chuck Forsberg's BBS.
The files are available from Simtel20 as:

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.ZMODEM>
DSZ0216.ARC			BINARY	 82436  777AH  <--COM vers w/docs
DSZ0216X.ARC			BINARY	 46599  A8D7H  <--EXE version

[**editorial mode on**]

Please note that we continue to convert DSZEXE.ZOO to DSZdateX.ARC
because Simtel20 does not have any way to test ZOO archives on the
mainframe.  I hope Chuck Forsberg will rethink his distribution
requirements in the interests of consistancy, especially in the light
of the fact that the new ZIP archive system beats both ARC and ZOO in
efficiency.  Example: DSZEXE.ZOO when repackaged into a ZIP archive is
8,000 bytes smaller!  Don't misunderstand, I am not advocating that we
change to ZIP archives until mainframe versions of ZIP are available.
My point is that continuing to distribute the EXE version of DSZ in a
ZOO archive is beating a dead horse.  Both ARC and ZOO are destined to
become obsolete.

It's a real shame that the EXE version of DSZ isn't more widely
distributed.  It's significantly faster than the COM version when
using a 9600 bps modem with the serial interface locked at 19200.  If
you have no interst in running DSZ under DesqView/DoubleDOS or a LAN
which requires the file locking features of DSZ.COM, you should really
be using DSZ.EXE for maximum transfer speed.

[end of editorial]

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M & MSDOS archives at wsmr-simtel20.army.mil [26.0.0.74]
DDN: [email-masked]
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz