Subject: Keeping MSDOS environments full-size
From: [email-masked] (Mr H Boothroyd)
Date: 9 Jun 88 04:05:19 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc

A recent query raised the problem of not being able to preserve big
environments for children. The rest of this file is a UUENCODED ARC of a
utility, ENV.COM, that I wrote for myself about 6 months ago.

ENV.COM is used
   to add up to 100 dummy variables to fill any unused space in the
     environment, so that the environment will be copied full-size when
     an application is called,
   to delete additional variables from the newly copied environment.

ENV.DOC illustrates the use of ENV.COM, and also illustrates how to
tackle the related problem that
  PATH has its results recorded in the environment,
  APPEND does not.

ENV.CMP is source of ENV.COM written as a DEBUG command file. It is
needed only if you wish to re-compile ENV.COM. To do so simply type

                             DEBUG < ENV.CMP

The ARC should show

Name          Length    Stowage    SF   Size now  Date       Time    CRC
============  ========  ========  ====  ========  =========  ======  ====
ENV.CMP           3987  Crunched   47%      2134  27 Jan 88  10:05a  9647
ENV.COM            768  Crunched   18%       636  27 Jan 88  10:06a  A718
ENV.DOC           5325  Crunched   48%      2774   9 Jun 88   1:36a  B369
        ====  ========            ====  ========
Total      3     10080             45%      5544