Subject: DBASE II and directory databases!!
From: uw-beaver!uw-june!entropy!dataio!pilchuck!del (Erik Lindberg)
Date: 4 Aug 86 20:19:38 GMT

This program is in response to a request from somebody that wanted to
do diskette cataloging via DBASE II.

There is no documentation contained here, except some sparce comments
in the .cmd files.  The concept is simple though, a few minutes study
should show you whats going on.  I am assuming a current version of
DBASE II which supports the (almost) undocumented

	SAVE STRUCTURE EXTENDED and
	CREATE file FROM file

commands. If your version of DB does not support these, you can still
figure out what is going on and rewrite the operations. If you do have
these capabilities, you can execute "DO MAKE.CMD" to create the
required database descriptor files. Then "DO DIR" to see how the thing
works.  The first prompt expects the name of the database you would
like the file names to appear in, the second prompt is the file
template to list, which could be "*.CMD" or even "tmp?????.*". Note
that in the seconde example "tmp*.*" will not work because DB does not
expand it out.

BEFORE you execute "make.cmd" you must store something to the memory
variable "LIB", you can just use a blank (STORE " " TO LIB) and USE a
valid database. Don't worry, the database you use will not be altered,
it is only used to create the format of a database descriptor file.

Let me hear if this works for you, I am interested!