AmigaActive (1655/1728)

From:Sean Courtney
Date:29 Jun 2001 at 18:45:36
Subject:Re: Making Mp3's

--- nobbyfu@btinternet.com wrote:
> Hello,
> I've been asked by a record company if i have any mp3's online.I need
> know how to convert tracks from my bands cd into mp3's but i don't
> have the
> foggiest idea where to start or what programs/hardware i need.

What you need is a piece of software that will rip tunes from CD and
save 'em to your hard drive. BurnIt and MakeCD both do this; I think
BurnIt supports AIFF and MakeCD only CDDA. Either way, make sure you
can get 'em to your hard drive in AIFF format [there are converters
available on Aminet if you can't].

I think the only free option for MP3 encoding on Amiga is a program
called "lame." There's a version for the 680x0 CPUs and another one for
PPC. Whatcha do is copy the appropriate version to your C: directory
and issue the following command in CLI, assuming you want to convert a
file called "LetsKillHemingway.aiff":

lame -b 192 LetsKillHemingway.aiff LetsKillHemingway.mp3

"lame," of course, is simply the command/program. "-b 192" tells Lame
to compress the file at 192 kbps. (You can set this to anything, but I
always use 192, as that's the smallest compression I've heard where you
can't really detect any audio loss; 128 kbps is "officially" designated
CD-quality, but 192 is better.) "LetsKillHemingway.aiff," of course, is
the name of the sound file you want to squish down to MP3 format.
"LetsKillHemingway.mp3" will be the resulting MP3 -- of course, you can
name that MP3 anything you wish...

Using Lame, it'll probably take close to half an hour to convert a
standard-length stereo song to MP3 on a 50mhz 68060 (speaking from
experience). On a PPC, however, it'll be much faster -- not much more
than a minute or two.

There are a few commercial options for MP3 conversion as well...I think
SecondSpin is supposed to be the best one for PPC...or is it NCoder??
Anyway, it doesn't cost much, probably about $30 USD.