AmigaActive (1595/1728)

From:Sam Thomas
Date:28 Jun 2001 at 21:07:31
Subject:Re: Plextor Review In #22

Hello Myself,

On 28-Jun-01, you wrote:

> Hello Alan

Disregard everything I said previously about the MP3's playing back poorly!
:-/

Is there a 'Dumb amiga user of the year award' going? If so, I reckon I must
be up there near the top!

Erm.. the Plextor did write the disk correctly (even the one done in about 5
and a bit mins) but the Amiga Sound was to blame (well, ok, I was to blame
being honest!).

During last week I stipped my system down again, trying to track my
Powerflyer bugs down. Anyway, after reassembling the whole lot and putting
the Mediator back in I powered up the system and all worked as usual, or so
I thought. Tonight I decided to listen to one of my MP3's.... thats when I
found the problem! Sound was stuttered and garbaged just like when I tried
to play it from the 'duff' CD. So there I went and decided to strip the
system again.

I took the side off the tower, removed IDE cables that were in the way and
then I saw two connectors hanging down.. P8 and P9 unplugged (the
powercables for the Mediator).

So it appears I was running the Mediator from power over the trapdoor slot!
:-O - the whole system was running off the Power input next to the LED
header! no wonder I was having sound trouble!

So now I only have the PIO speed setting problem to overcome and then
everything is great! (wondering if the lack of Mediator power would effect
the PIO speed now..)

Doh!

Sam 'Stom' Thomas

http://www.amiga-mediator.co.uk