AmigaActive (1591/1728)

From:Gareth Griffiths
Date:28 Jun 2001 at 18:42:45
Subject:Re: Amiga sharing a Win98 connection (was YAM and Proxy servers.)

Hello Neil,
On Thursday, June 28, 2001 at 6:23:14 PM, you wrote:

> You don't need to if you're running WinGate, they each let you share the
> connection.

Well I've given up now, its giving me gip.

First I connected to the Internet, then attempted to connect to the Amiga,
only for Windows to say that the Dial-Up Adapter was either not responding
or already in use.

So, I went into Network properties and added another Dial-Up Adapter (which
named itself "Dial-Up Adapter #2 (VPN Support)" as well as a corresponding
TCP/IP protocol). I thought "great" so I told the TCP/IP protocol for
"Dial-Up Adapter #2 (VPN Support)" to use IP address 192.168.2.1 (the PC -
the Amiga is on 192.168.2.2) and restarted.

Connected to the 'net, tried accessing the Internet from the PC, and it
wouldn't do it. Checked the Network properties, and now the "Dial-Up Adapter
#2 (VPN Support)" TCP/IP protocol had reverted back to automatically getting
IP addresses. "Strange", I thought. So I checked the original TCP/IP
protocol for "Dial-Up Adapter" - this one was trying to use 192.168.2.1, the
reason I couldn't do anything netwise from the PC!!!

And its done that ever since. I've tried uninstalling all Dial-Up Adapters
and reinstalling, but it still does the same.

Does anyone know a way around this?

Also Neil, you mentioned that I need to set up Miami to use hte PC as a
gateway. Where do I do that? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Or is that in
Miami Deluxe only?

So to summarise, I need two Dial-Up Adapters, and their corresponding TCP/IP
protocols. One for my modem, the other for the nullmodem connection from
PC<->Amiga. Can't do it 'cos the modem one seems to "steal" the nullmodem
properties when I restart the machine, and I need to stop it doing that.

Help! :/

Cheers,
GazChap.

Gareth Griffiths -- mailto:mail@gazchap.com -- http://www.gazchap.com
Where there's a will, I want to be in it!