AmigaActive (1590/1728)

From:Sam Thomas
Date:28 Jun 2001 at 19:32:57
Subject:Re: Plextor Review In #22

Hello Alan

On 28-Jun-01, you wrote:

> now this is weird.... i just use the standard IDE interface for my
> cdwriter...and i have an 060/50MHz. have you tried enabling the
> parallel read/write option - and also, what speeds are you set up for
> 0 (maximum) or 1 etc? larger chunk sizes should be better as the machine
> wont have to shift so many IO operations between buffer and device.

parallel read/write is on and I have also tried it with it off. Anyway I am
now gonna try and make it work correctly by shoving the thing to speed 1
and then if that works I will progressively increase it. Being a 16 speed
writer I guess the biggest number that I should have here is 16, or to get
the maximum, 0 ?

I have not heard anything yet today regarding my 'nearly impossible'
powerflyer problems :-/

>> Incase you are wondering..
>> Apollo 060@66Mhz, 64Megs Fast
>> Mediator With Voodoo3 3000, 10mbps Ethernet, Soundblaster LiVE1024 (oh,
>> Soundblaster128 drivers due in two weeks so Elbox _say_ ;-) )
>
> those wont work - you need the live! drivers...which'll be another 4 weeks
> later ;-)

Yes.. I do know that. You kinda realise these type of things when ya run a
ML and a website to do with the mediator ;-)

They have not actually said another 4 weeks later, all they said was 80%
complete for the LiVE drivers. Going by that and the time the SB drivers
have taken so far, it could be anytime next year ;-)

> alan

> PS use a CD-RW for this sort of experiment!! no wastage then

Doh! lol - would this mean that the drive would be writing at 10x speed to
the disk instead though using rewriteables?

Cheers

Sam 'Stom' Thomas

http://www.amiga-mediator.co.uk