AmigaActive (1548/1728)

From:Don Cox
Date:28 Jun 2001 at 00:43:20
Subject:Re: What will AmigaOS 4.x run on ?

Hello neil@tkgbbs.freeserve.co.uk

On 27-Jun-01, neil@tkgbbs.freeserve.co.uk wrote:
> HIhi
> On Wednesday June 27 2001, Don Cox said to All:
>
> [AmigaOS4.x]
>> More likely would be to add PCI slots and a PCI card with a PPC
> on it.
>> Matay have something like this planned, and so do Elbox.
>> Before buying either of these, check to see what drivers they
> have.
>
> Does anyone find this funny?
>
> Cyberstorm/Blizzard cards are too hacky with Amiga->CPU
> bus->68KtoPPC->CPU, yet A1200->CPU slot->PCI->PCItoCPU->CPU bus->PPC
> isn't? Hacky hacky five dolla. You like?

The question was what might be done for A4000 owners, not A1200. But
sure, it's a fudge. We would like a new computer which is
compatible with all our existing peripherals and software, but has a
much faster CPU than the A4000. PCI slots would be an advantage to some
people, others already have all the cards they need in Zorro format and
don't want to buy them all again.

The AmigaOne is ideal for A1200 owners who want something better, or for
returning ex-Amiga users. It may not be ideal for those with
well-equipped A4000s. One of these hacks might do nicely for a couple
of years.

Regards

Don Cox
doncox@enterprise.net