AmigaActive (1527/1728)

From:Sam Thomas
Date:27 Jun 2001 at 20:45:51
Subject:Re: Plextor Review In #22

Hello Alan

On 27-Jun-01, you wrote:

> huh?? are you sure you're writing direct to disk and not doing an image
> file?

Yeah, at that paritcular time I was :-/

> ..even my 2x writer (yes, the classic old-school CDR days) can do 650Mb of
> data from HD in 38 minutes
>
> alan

Things definately dont get any better either :-(

After suggestions from You, Neil and a few others I decided it would be
better to make a image file for writing. I did this and eventually managed
to get the buffer settings right for making the image (20000KB Buffer and
50KB Chunk size) and that seems to keep the buffer full during that stage.

I have got the Write Tracks Buffer set to 20000KB and the Chunk set to 50KB
- I tried 400KB as you suggested but the system couldnt keep the buffer
full at all :-/ Anyway, even with the chunk set to 50KB the buffer drains
within 5 seconds of writing and then it carrys on writing the disk and
takes about 7mins to burn another 650meg of MP3's (write speed of about 10x
at the end). Now obviously the buffer is empty while it is writing this so
the Burnproof part of the drive should be kicking in and rescuing the disk
which it appears to do. Anyway, after the disk had finished writing I just
thought I would test the disk out to make sure it was ok... :-(

AmigaAMP played the mp3's back as though I was playing a 192kbps mp3 on a
040 at full quality (i.e stuttered and breaking up)

So... I'm at a loss now as what to do apart from make the chunk size really
low (20?) and hope that works :-/

Incase you are wondering..
Apollo 060@66Mhz, 64Megs Fast
Mediator With Voodoo3 3000, 10mbps Ethernet, Soundblaster LiVE1024 (oh,
Soundblaster128 drivers due in two weeks so Elbox _say_ ;-) )
Maxtor 15Gig Hard Disk (PIO5)
54Speed CTX CDROM (PIO5)
Plextor 16x10x40A (as reviewed in this months AA)

I'm still in contact with Elbox regarding my Powerflyer problems though and
thier last email to me said that the speed test and drive tests results I
sent them were impossible! :-O .They have told me to do a few more tests by
doing from a no startup cli thing - thing is though - the tests I sent them
were 'lowlevel' hardware tests! (even lower level than they said!):-/
(Had a new A1200 Motherboard and a New Flyer and I still get the same
problems!)

Now wasted 6 CD-R's trying to get the disk burnt correctly :-/ (good job
they are cheeeeap!)

Cheerio

Sam 'Stom' Thomas

http://www.amiga-mediator.co.uk