AmigaActive (1505/1728)

From:Mark.Smith
Date:27 Jun 2001 at 16:19:52
Subject:Re: SCSI hard drives.........BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACHHHHHHH!!

> > Active 68way terminator
> > |
> > Cyberstorm (ID 7)
> > |
> > SCSI DISK (68way) (ID 0) - NOT TERMINATED & Forced Single Ended
mode

> > Zip drive (using a 68->50pin converter) (ID 6) - NOT terminated
> > |
> > CD Writer (on a 50->68pin converter) (ID 3) - NOT terminated
> > |
> > Active 68way terminator
>
> Actually, the Zip drive uses a 68-25 converter, and interestingly
the
> cable between the Zip and the CD burner is a 25-to-50, so no
converter
> necessary on that one. I will need to connect the 68-way terminator
> a 50-68 converter, though.
>
> > Just make absolutly sure that no SCSI ID's are clashing and have
> > either SCSI hard disk or the CD-Writer provide termination power
> > (TERM PWR) as the Cyberstorm does not provide this (you want to
> > provide TERM PWR to the bus not to the drive or from the bus)
>
> OK, so let me make sure I have this right....
>
> Should I readjust the SCSI cable on the Cyberstorm so that it's
> attached in a "V"-shape -- i.e. have it branch out into TWO cables -
-
> one with one port, in which there's a 68-pin terminator, and another
> with the remainder of the ports?

Yes, if your SCSI ribbon cable had 6 headers on it, then header 1
would plug into a terminator, header 2 would plug into the
Cyberstorm, header 3 would plug into the hard disk, header 4 would
plug into the zip drive, hearder 5 would plug into the CD writer and
hearder 6 would plug into a terminator.

That ZIP drive is confusing me ... does it have a 50pin SCSI
connector on the back or a 25 ? (bloody awkward if it is 25) If it
is 50pin no problems just get the 50<->68 converter ands the same for
the CD-writer.

You want to be using only 1 68way SCSI ribbon cable and then use 50<-
>68way converters where neccassary, there must ALWAYS be 68pin
terminators on EACH end of the SCSI cable.

Any probs or questions feel free to give me a call.

Regards

Mark Smith
StorageNetworks
Tel. 01784 898250 - Work
Tel. 07810 655511 - Portable Brain Heater