AmigaActive (1499/1728)

From:Sean Courtney
Date:27 Jun 2001 at 15:24:42
Subject:Re: SCSI hard drives.........BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACHHHHHHH!!

--- Neil Bothwick <neil@wirenet.co.uk> wrote:

> > Unit 1: internal SCSI III drive, not terminated. [The manual
> > specifically spells out that the drive comes NOT terminated because
> the
> > term power comes from the SCSI controller and the cable. There are
> NO
> > details as to HOW to terminate in emergency situations!]
>
> A drive can be terminated even if it doesn't provide term power. Do
> nooe
> of the jumpers relate to termination?

Don't know. The only thing the manual says about termination is that by
default it's not terminated, termination comes from SCSI controller and
cable. I guess for all practical purposes it's saying "You don't need
it, so don't worry." [This is a Compaq drive, btw...]

> Your SCSI chain is only terminated at one end, you cannot expect it
> work correctly. You also may not have any term power, the p5 CSPPC
> didn't have it but I'm told that the DCE ones do.

I'm pretty sure the MKIII I have is a Phase5. As for it not working
correctly...seems to work fine when I DON'T have the drive connected...