AmigaActive (1364/1728)

From:neil
Date:26 Jun 2001 at 01:09:26
Subject:Re: Internet Abuse and Port Hacks

hihi
On Monday June 25 2001, Craig_daines@excite.co.uk said to All:

C> I am experiencing illegal ports opening via Miami. It's been happening

Are you sure? Post the logs to the Miami list.

C> for some time now, even despite setting up a firewall in Miami strange
C> ports are popping up every now and then. I have turned on logging, and

Well, haven't you set the firewall to refuse them?

C> What is the best thing to do in the event of abuse? I have passed the
C> logs onto my ISP and the ISP's of the hosts concerned, so hopefully I've
C> done the right thing 8)

If it's real abuse, do as you've done. But there's always someone somewhere
looking at your group of IPs at some time. You should expect the odd stray
hit, as someone looks for a RedHat or Windows2000 machine to use the latest
exploit.

abuse@aol.com should do it.

C> Q2) Some networks administrator information is not listed on some
C> networks. How do you go about looking them up?

I'm not sure. There is a list somewhere of who owns which IP blocks. Try a
google search.

-.
Neil Williams, ICQ UINs: 18223711 & 116110052, 2:442/107