AmigaActive (1345/1728)

From:Neil Bothwick
Date:25 Jun 2001 at 22:19:25
Subject:Re: Internet Abuse and Port Hacks

Craig_Daines said,

> I am experiencing illegal ports opening via Miami. It's been happening
> for some time now, even despite setting up a firewall in Miami strange
> ports are popping up every now and then. I have turned on logging, and
> am using syslog.library to collect evidence to pass to my ISP, as well
> as scanning ports that are opened using GoPortScan to obtain service
> information of ports opened.

Ports shouldn't open if you don't have a server runing on hem. It's more
likely that Miami is logging access attempts.

Most ISPs have an email address of abuse@isp for this sort of thing.

> Q2)
> Some networks administrator information is not listed on some
> networks. How do you go about looking them up?

The RFCs state that mail for postmaster@domain must be accepted. If a
mail to abuse@ files, try postmaster@.

Cheers

Neil

Neil Bothwick - New Media Editor, Amiga Active Magazine

"Bother," said Pooh, as the vice squad took his GIFS