AmigaActive (1340/1728)

From:Andrew Crowe
Date:25 Jun 2001 at 22:22:48
Subject:Re: Plextor Review In #22

Hi Everybody,

> Finally, a bloke at work wanted a copy of my MP3's so there I went
> and wrote 650 megs of data to a CDR - 1HOUR and 15Minutes later it
> finally finished writing the disk :-( (and this time reported a
> write speed of 14.2x (this aint the source of buffer one I'm reading
> btw, it is the write one))
>
> So what I want to know, is there any specific settings to do since
> it is a burnproof drive regarding the MakeCD buffers? (I have the
> tooltype)

What on earth is going on there?? 1 hour is about the time it takes to
burn a CD at 1x speed, so there's obviously something going wrong.

There's a couple of things it could be,

1st are you getting buffer under-runs? (so it has to use the
burn-proofing?) that would probably take up time.

Next are you creating an ISO image or running it on the fly? (if
you're doing it on the fly to take 1h 15 at 14x you must be getting a
lot of under-runs), if you're creating an ISO image how long does
that take before it starts writing the CD? If its taking a long time
that could be the problem.

As for a soluting, give it more Cache, both disk/ram and add some
buffers to the partition you're using.

As a matter of interest my cheapo x8 CD-RW on my PC takes about 15
minutes to write a whole CD, writing at x14 should take about 7-10
mins.

See ya :)

Manta Soft - Amiga programming & webpage designing
http://mantasoft.tripod.com/ ICQ: 21829166
Homepage updated 22/05/00 - New game: Pictris released
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most times he will
pick himself up and carry on...
-- Winston Churchill