AmigaActive (1257/1728)

From:Don Cox
Date:24 Jun 2001 at 20:55:04
Subject:Re: Stop!!!!

On 24-Jun-01, Matt Sealey wrote:

> Their only mistake was pledging to listen to the Community, but then
> not paying a blind bit of notice. Fleecy Inc.'s mistake is pledging to
> listen to the Community as a joke, but only realising a year later
> that it might have been a good idea to do AmigaOS 4.0 instead of the
> fallacy that was OS 3.9 et al. - and that Elate wouldn't be an
> applicable host for the plans they had.

As for listening - that's just human nature. It's incredibly hard to
listen to people telling you things you don't want to hear. I think
fleecy has heard more than most. Anyway, the Community don't all say
the same thing.

The point about OS 4 is that fleecy has had a dream of a hardware-free
computer. Developing for PPC conflicts with that. The problem is to get
the right balance between portability (we don't want to be stuck with
AGA chips again) and performance (which does need well engineered
hardware).

>> I don't at all disagree with the policy of using Elate as a way of
>> making money from software for PDAs etc.
>
> Neither do I, but I do disagree with the change of policy away from
> that as the huge main company focus - from that to a nice sideline
> to fund AmigaOS 4.x - which wasted the best part of a year or two
> to come to play.

I'm pretty sure the DE stuff is still the main focus. We tend to get a
distorted view because people on the Amiga mailing lists (and Bunny) are
totally uninterested in PDAs etc. The people who _are_ interested are
those who bought the SDK, got down to programming for it, and are hoping
to see some income.

Also, I imagine, the people who put up the money. I don't think they
would have allowed development of OS 4 on their money last year. Why
invest in something that can't make a profit? The PDA and STB market is
1000 times the size of the Amiga market.

It may just be too soon for the DE stuff to be interesting. When there
are 10 Megapixel digital cameras which upload their pictures to your
Amiga at home while you are on location in Africa, it will be
interesting. Or at least, useful. The cameras will have Photogenics
built in.

Regards

Don Cox
doncox@enterprise.net