AmigaActive (1251/1728)

From:Sam Thomas
Date:24 Jun 2001 at 19:21:21
Subject:I give in.. the CDRW wins

Hiya all

Well ok, I hate to admit it but I am finally giving in - I will make do with
the CDRW at PIO0 and have to like it. :-/

So far I have burned a couple of disks using the MakeCD demo - one is a copy
of my Linux Mandrake disto that someone wanted and another is abackup of my
Work Partition.

Anyway, It took MakeCD about 13mins (guess) to copy my Linux CD which I
thought was a bit slow - at the end of the burn it reported a burn speed of
about 13.6x which going by what I know is actually pretty damn fast. So,
what I'm after knowing is what sort of settings would improve things the
best with my drive? (Plextor 16x10x40 Burnproof rewriter) I have the
'MAKECD_BURN_PROOF' Tooltype set in the MakeCD icon and have the buffers
set to default (8000 iirc) and the parrelel read/write unticked.

It seemed to take even longer for the drive to burn a copy of my Work
partiton though and this is only 78megs full - anyone got any ideas why it
takes longer to burn that much rather than over 650 megs? :-/

Next,
since I am using the demo version of MakeCD I am not sure what I can do.
since I have only used 78megs on my Work backup I have some space left on
the disk and obviously I would like to use this up (back my system partiton
up if possible) how can I do this and access the info on CD afterwards?

And Finally,
Burning a CD likes to lock the system up. Someone said to use Executive to
give the processor more free time from the burning process. How do I go
about setting this?

Cheers for any help (and sorry for all the questions!)

Sam 'Stom' Thomas

http://www.amiga-mediator.co.uk