AmigaActive (1250/1728)

From:Matt Sealey
Date:24 Jun 2001 at 19:20:11
Subject:Re: Stop!!!!

Hello Don

On 24-Jun-01, you wrote:

>>> I hope to eventually see Matt admit that AmigaInc got it almost
>>> right. ;-)
>>
>> Even if they are right, it's still 18 months to 2 years too late ;)
>
> Five years ago would have been nice. ;-)
>
> A lot of time has been wasted in trying to avoid the trouble of writing
> an improved OS by looking for an existing OS to act as a host.
>
> BeOS, Linux, QNX, Elate ...
>
> At last an Amiga owner has settled down to actually update AmigaOS itself
> and get it running on a modern CPU. It seems that no previous owner has
> had any faith in the OS as being any good.

Their only mistake was pledging to listen to the Community, but then not
paying a blind bit of notice. Fleecy Inc.'s mistake is pledging to listen to
the Community as a joke, but only realising a year later that it might
have been a good idea to do AmigaOS 4.0 instead of the fallacy that was
OS 3.9 et al. - and that Elate wouldn't be an applicable host for the plans
they had.

> I don't at all disagree with the policy of using Elate as a way of
> making money from software for PDAs etc.

Neither do I, but I do disagree with the change of policy away from
that as the huge main company focus - from that to a nice sideline
to fund AmigaOS 4.x - which wasted the best part of a year or two
to come to play.

A year or two we've spent just sitting on our arses and waiting.

And now we'll have to wait another year or two - at which point
we'll all have died of boredom (10 years between notable points
in the Amiga history is a long time :)

Thanks

Matt Sealey <matt@kittycat.co.uk>
Website http://www.kittycat.co.uk