AmigaActive (1248/1728)

From:Don Cox
Date:24 Jun 2001 at 17:24:32
Subject:Re: Stop!!!!

On 24-Jun-01, Don Cox wrote:
> On 24-Jun-01, Neil Bothwick wrote:
>
>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but Australia still has freedom of speech,
>> doesn't it?
>
> Not on the Internet, I believe. Didn't they pass a censorship law
> earlier this year?

Correction.

It was South Australia only (but the act was expected to serve as a
model for the other states). And they haven't passed it yet, the
offending clause 12 has been sent back for further consultation.

The idea is to apply film codes to web sites, and only sites with a U
certificate would be allowed. A site owner would have to get the site
classified by the film classification board, at his own expense.
Massive fine if you post a page that isn't U.

Somebody thinks the Web is a branch of the film industry.

Regards

Don Cox
doncox@enterprise.net