AmigaActive (1163/1728)

From:arthur perkins
Date:22 Jun 2001 at 21:01:40
Subject:Dead,Dying Amiga A2000 in need of help!!

Hi all,

I am having a problem with my A2000 and hope anyone
can point me in the right direction to fix the problem
before I decide to retire it permanently. Here's the
problem:

When it starts booting up, the green power light comes
on but the yellow hd light does not nor do either of
the floppy lights. Every now and then after it's been
shut off for awhile and I turn it on, the computer
will boot. Right now I'm running OS3.5 and am trying
to upgrade to OS3.9 but if I can't get the A2000 to
boot on a regular basis, that exercise becomes a moot
point. Sometimes I get a clicking sound as though the
computer is trying to initialize the graphics card but
the process is not successful.

Here's what's in the machine: Picasso IV graphics
card,
PP&O 68040 accelerator card with 32 megs of ram,GVP
A4008 SCSI card with 4.5 gig hd onboard,network card,
external SCSI cdrom drive, external zip drive, and 17
inch SVGA color monitor.

Now I don't want to retire the machine if I can help
it
so unless I can get it back up and running, I will
retire it unless Amiga comes out with a trade-in
program for older Amigas like my A2000.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks,

Arthur