AmigaActive (1160/1728)

From:Jim Cadwallader
Date:23 Jun 2001 at 01:27:59
Subject:Re: Stop!!!!

Hello Matt

On 22-Jun-01, you wrote:

> MorphOS is released to the public ...

One thing that springs to mind is that (can't speak for Amiga), their
"corporate image" may have been (more) severely damaged if everyone ran off
to use a third party OS. Surely it would have invited taunts of "Amiga
couldn't even ... keep control of/improve/care about ... their own OS"?
Imagine if Apple hadn't officially moved to PPC, and all Mac users had
jumped to a third-party user developed solution in preference (ChasOS?).
What would that mass desertion have left Amiga with, a bunch of cans of
AmiCola and a Boing-red face?

Plus, I think that the MorphOS solution would have tempted people to upgrade
their near 10 year old kit again. The clean break approach may also be
about regaining market image. MorphOS would have been cool to us, but it is
not "cool" to demonstrate to others what is basically super-hacked 9 year
old kit.

> ,,, some people wanted a desktop environment, but
> we all knew deep down that we'd have a Handspring Visor
> or an Internet Fridge instead.

Yeah, I agree. I had that thought in the back of my skull. I'm glad there
will be a new officially sanctioned desktop.

Regards
Jim Cad*