AmigaActive (1121/1728)

From:Alan Buxey
Date:22 Jun 2001 at 14:54:32
Subject:Re: Whinge,whinge!!!!

hi,

> 4.0 is *not* around. You were questioning (nay, correcting!) my

<cough> ahem... :-)

> use of 4.2 - because I consider 4.2 to be the OS I would take to
> be a legitimate work, more than a stop-gap between one stage
> and another that we also would have to pay for.

but Matt! 4.2 is just a stop gap to 4.4, 4.6 etc to 5.0.
as for paying, well that has to be decided...after all, if you buy the
partypack you get 4.0 and 4.2 for free my dear!

> And now you're correcting me AGAIN?

<sigh> I'm *always* correcting you....

> >> How many people here think the AmiTCP/Genesis/OS3.9 thing
> >> was actually resolved? Hands up..
> >
> > hands up those who care?
>
> You SHOULD care.

why? I use Miami. never installed Genesis. If we were living in a UNIX
environment then all parts of the OS would have seperate licences so you
pay for what part you want...in this case I would have saved ~10 quid by
not wanting Genesis or the media-playback tools (which, compared to the
3rd-party stuff i have installed, suck)

> They redistributed the files with another commercial product - strictly
> against the license agreement that comes with it - without permission
> (lets not even go into a license) from the original authors.

if i recall some of the minor details, H&P were given the code for some
small sum. the *original* authors who then realised how much their
project was finally worth kicked up a stink. perhaps they shouldnt have
offloaded their work so soon/cheaply?

> I could argue the same about AmigaOS 3.5+'s icon format - something
> which was closed from the beginning and which effectively killed
> the development of Directory Opus for the Amiga. Why isn't THAT
> downloadable as source or specifications?

such specifications SHOULD be open, i agree. i never said they shouldnt
be. in fact ALL the OS should be openly documented etc (the only thing not
needed to be released is the AmigaOS sourcecode.

> it like it never happened. You're all so willing to forget stuff if it
> suits your goals..

i think the same applies for you here ;-)

alan