AmigaActive (1074/1728)

From:Richard Friend
Date:21 Jun 2001 at 22:10:34
Subject:Re: Whinge,whinge!!!!

----- Original Message -----
From: Don Cox <doncox@enterprise.net>

> That shouldn't be happening. The only thing that makes my 68060 machine
> crash regularly is testing Voyager betas. Keep off them and it runs for
> days.

I don't use Voyager as the modem is connected to the PC side of my tower.

> The problem is to discover whether it's hardware or software at fault.
> Do you have hacks and patches? Does it crash with any particular
> program?

I get the most crashes when trying to install things to my hard drive.
Luckily (so far) a reboot gets it all up and running again. I tried
installer NG but it made no difference, in fact it was worse so I went back
to the basic Amiga installer.

> > The Siamese RTG
> > has never worked and still doesn't.
>
> Never did AFAIK. You might try Samba.

I've got Samba too and it's much quicker connecting than Siamese. Both
connect to the PC in the same time but switching to the PC and trying to
access the Amiga files takes way longer with Siamese! (As much as five
minutes!)

> > I can read the PC's files from my
> > Amiga but what use is that? Picture files are best viewed by using the
> > PC to access the Amiga's hard drive!
>
> Why can't you view them on the Amiga? What graphics card are you using?

I'm using AGA on the Amiga, there's no room for a graphics card in an EZ/PC
tower except on the PC.

> > I can't wait for the new Amiga to be launched and really hope that it
> > does well but I wont be buying one simply because I just can't find a
> > use for the one I have now! I've tweaked my workbench to look nice but
> > it's like a work of art, looks nice but doesn't do much!
>
> That's not what a computer is for. Don't you have any programs?
> Pagestream? Imagine? B&P?

I can't use pagestream because I have a Lexmark Z11 connected to the PC and
I can only share the printer if I have a Lexmark driver for the Amiga! No
go!

> What did you intend to do with the computer?

I'd like to use both the PC and the Amiga equally for games and applications
but the PC has the better graphics and games. I had visions of using
personal paint on the PC's graphics card in wonderful colour via the Siamese
RTG, F1GP in glorious true colour! Ha Ha, as if! Siamese RTG simply doesn't
RTG!
When I connect via Siamese, go and make a coffee and come back, both
computers can finally 'see' each other. I select a Siamese RTG screen mode
and 'test' it. Switch to the PC and there's the star shaped 'test' screen.
Click on 'ok' and switch back to the Amiga. Select the Siamese screen mode
again and click 'use'. Lot's of windows opening and closing and up comes the
'press left button to reboot' screen!

Richy
http://www.aminutz.org.uk
ICQ 18894975